why does the age hate us?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

why does the age hate us?

seriously what have we done to that fkn paper to get all this hate??

#1 Ryder fan
StGoddard18
Club Player

What have they said?

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

what havent they said?

they are at us all the time!

today's headline:

The saints the big losers of trade week

#1 Ryder fan
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Don't worry. The HUN has pretty much the same story. So they are all against us.

Saints43
Club Player

Walsh has gone to Sydney. Some Saints fans annoyed. Walsh guaranteed solid income at Sydney. Sydney have solid record with international recruits. Saints described the loss of Walsh as the 'lowlight' of trade week. Dealt with Sydnet reluctantly once they realise he was definitely leaving.

Dwason, Peake, Clarke, Ray, Gamble & Polo all out of contract.

Watters meeting with Harves today to discuss role at club. Harves disappointed not to be appointed senior coach.

What does come across is that Watters appears to have some bridge building to do at the club. But he seems to be straight onto it.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

I would think Freo and Collingwood were the bigger losers of trade week ... Freo put all their eggs in one basket and then saw it walk to the Dees ... And collingwood traded all of their picks for fringe Players

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
StGoddard18
Club Player

Ohhh geee really? I think we did great considering we still have Goddard. Saad and Milera are great pick ups. I think behind gws us and Brisbane have the most pics.

They just want make us look like idiots, well sir they are the idiots!

Saints43
Club Player

The headline was "Saints trade weak'

Whatever, the article all seems pretty factual to me.

And St Kilda has appointed Terry Dillon from hawthorn as its new Chief Operating Officer.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Dear God! MC mate, if you don't like what they say,DONT READ IT!!!!!!!! If Walsh left (in spite of being offered a 3 year deal and a spot in the side in round 1) then we move on. If Harves is having some sort of sulk (Which I find VERY hard to believe) at being overlooked, then with respect to the great man, he has some decisions to make. No time for wasting energy on such matters (IF they are true :roll: )

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Reading the article itself, there's something of a disconnect between the headline and the body of the article. I didn't think the writing was overly critical.

Some time back The Age decided to outsource their sub-editing. Since then there has been a noticeable change in the relationship between headlines and reports/commentary. In short, they've gone for the headline grab, rather than consistency between headline and body.

It's not just in sport that the change is apparent. The whole thing has more of a tabloid feel.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

The OtherThommo wrote:Reading the article itself, there's something of a disconnect between the headline and the body of the article. I didn't think the writing was overly critical.

Some time back The Age decided to outsource their sub-editing. Since then there has been a noticeable change in the relationship between headlines and reports/commentary. In short, they've gone for the headline grab, rather than consistency between headline and body.

It's not just in sport that the change is apparent. The whole thing has more of a tabloid feel.
Exceptionally well put.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:I would think Freo and Collingwood were the bigger losers of trade week ... Freo put all their eggs in one basket and then saw it walk to the Dees ... And collingwood traded all of their picks for fringe Players
i agree re collingwood, but they had such a positive article about them that i wanted to spew!

Superboot
SS Life Member

Apparently, Walsh has gone from St Kilda to Kings Cross.

Completely unnecessary reference. Wonder how long it took Gleeson to think up that one? Posted on-line at 3.00am, so he must have sat up half the night thinking about it.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

hmmmmmm? longer than that I'd think Super!!!!

saintlee
Club Player

I can't see what's wrong with the articles..... fans are upset we lost Walsh, but we didn't have much choice. At least we got some picks this time.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Pur-LEESE!! Do stop making sense :wink: :lol:

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Carlton, St>kilda, and Collingwood all in the same boat, that is no one wanted the players they put up for trade, and each club now has to delist one of these players possibly. However each club is treated differently by the media. Guess which one is made to look the loser!
(Although we did lose badly on the Tommy Walsh deal).

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Superboot wrote:Apparently, Walsh has gone from St Kilda to Kings Cross.

Completely unnecessary reference. Wonder how long it took Gleeson to think up that one? Posted on-line at 3.00am, so he must have sat up half the night thinking about it.
it's a line from a paul kelly song, I think it is quite a smart line

don't be so sensitive

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

As long as fans continue with this victim mentality, the media will be seen to "hate us"

Funny...noone said "the media all clearly hate us" when Robbo wrote those two excellent articles about Roo in the Hun last week...and thats that they were.

Whilst its true the tabloid media have a fixation with us due to their ability to use "sex" and 'schoolgirl" in headlines, I think its best not to draw a broad brus....and just take each article on its merits.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:

it's a line from a paul kelly song, I think it is quite a smart line

don't be so sensitive
+1..I chuckled too, pretty clever really

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

and we didn't come out of trade week well

as we still have salary cap issues and now we have to cut some players with out getting anything for them, in my mind that is a loss

westy
Club Player

Here's another spin. Because we now have a West Australian coach, we are getting plenty of favourable exposure over here. There was even a slight spin on Lyin joining Freo for a while but, I think may be because The West Australian is pro-Eagles. Something else to consider is that I think Watters is the first West Australian to coach a major AFL/VFL team.

I'm livin' in a madhouse
Kilda
Club Player

I don't believe the post here re The Age. The Age has been a sponsor of the club for several years now and it only makes sense that they write articles about them.

As far as I can tell, they are merely reporting what is...no slants or agendas...you have to get used to the fact that St Kilda - regardless of their on-field status- is always in the news. This is part of the drama that one takes on board when following this club.

spert
Saintsational Legend

westy wrote:Here's another spin. Because we now have a West Australian coach, we are getting plenty of favourable exposure over here. There was even a slight spin on Lyin joining Freo for a while but, I think may be because The West Australian is pro-Eagles. Something else to consider is that I think Watters is the first West Australian to coach a major AFL/VFL team.
Was Polly Farmer a sandgroper who coached Geelong?

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Funny reference (& great song).

The article itself was fine... no StK bashing as far as I could see.

Ordinary work by the sub editor though... they must have got him from the HS.