Harvey to Collingwood - Is it Possible?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saints66
Club Player

Harvey to Collingwood - Is it Possible?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/h ... 1lj5q.html

Whatever one thinks about Caroline Wilson, she is a senior Age sport journalist and has access to reliable sources.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

"Harvey's management is believed to have spoken with Collingwood"

factoid??
lol

adz11

Could you imagine a Hird, Buckley or Voss being treated like this?
Harvs will join his good mate Max at the Pies and will be better for it!

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

We all love Harves. Legend/icon of the club. But that doesn't necessarily mean he automatically becomes coach. If he (or any other former Saint) is good enough, all the better. He may well become good enough down the line, and that would be great. But clearly he is deemed by the people picking the next coach not to be as good as some of the other candidates at present. And judging by many posters here, there are doubts amongst our supporters as well.

It seems we want him to stay in our structure, and that surely is good for the sake of the club, and continuity. Seems they are treating him with proper respect, and that is good. If he chooses to go to Collingwood, that's a great pity, but it's a free world. And doesn't stop him coming back one day.

My pick for next ex-Saint player to coach the club is Luke Ball, somewhere off in the future. Reckon he'll have the stuff. There's a prediction for you!

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

adz11 wrote:Could you imagine a Hird, Buckley or Voss being treated like this?
Harvs will join his good mate Max at the Pies and will be better for it!
Nice first post by the way. Go back to your own forum.

Konstantinos
Club Player

Saw that Collingwood is interested in acquiring his services as an assistant coach. So does he really want to leave an assistant coach position in SKFC (where he's so dearly loved) to go to Collingwood as an assistant coach (in which I guess he won't be so loved by many anymore)?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Why couldn't Harves have been given a second round interview? Even if they didn't think he was quite good enough? It would have been, what, 1-2 extra hours of interviewing to avoid this sort of stuff.

This sort of decision is management 101.

Nettlefold must be a total dud.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Linton Street Saint
Club Player

What the hell are you guys smoking ? .... Media beat up if ever I saw one. I would hazard a guess that all of you have watched Harvey's career start to finish. Do you for one second think he is the type of bloke who needs his ego stroked ? .... Shame on you all

Best thing to do would be completely up front and honest with him. If he decides it's better for his development elsewhere then all the best to him. He won't stop being a club legend, he always will be.

That is all ......

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Why couldn't Harves have been given a second round interview? Even if they didn't think he was quite good enough? It would have been, what, 1-2 extra hours of interviewing to avoid this sort of stuff.

What so do a sham interview for no real reason?

Smacks of real disrespect to do that.

Very stupid idea IMO.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Linton Street Saint wrote:What the hell are you guys smoking ? .... Media beat up if ever I saw one. I would hazard a guess that all of you have watched Harvey's career start to finish. Do you for one second think he is the type of bloke who needs his ego stroked ? .... Shame on you all

Best thing to do would be completely up front and honest with him. If he decides it's better for his development elsewhere then all the best to him. He won't stop being a club legend, he always will be.

That is all ......
Pretty much agree with this.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
meher baba wrote:Why couldn't Harves have been given a second round interview? Even if they didn't think he was quite good enough? It would have been, what, 1-2 extra hours of interviewing to avoid this sort of stuff.

What so do a sham interview for no real reason?

Smacks of real disrespect to do that.

Very stupid idea IMO.
THen in 2 months it leaks out that he got a 2nd interview when he didn't really deserve it....that would be worse.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Linton Street Saint wrote:What the hell are you guys smoking ? .... Media beat up if ever I saw one. I would hazard a guess that all of you have watched Harvey's career start to finish. Do you for one second think he is the type of bloke who needs his ego stroked ? .... Shame on you all

That is all ......
If anything even slightly negative is written about our club it is a media beat up. Over the last couple of years I would suggest there has been plenty for the media to beat up. I reckon it is about time people dont shoot the messenger and look at what is happening to our club. From the outside it doesnt look great and I reckon even the players must be wondering what the hell is going on.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

"Pelchen and co have indicated to Harvey the strengths and weaknesses of his bid and while still disappointed, Harvey, the Saints' games record-holder, four-time club champion and former captain, told the club he appreciated the honest feedback.

The club, in turn, has indicated its strong preference for Harvey to remain at St Kilda, where he is contracted for the next two seasons, having returned to the Saints at the end of last year after two years under Brett Ratten at Carlton."

Yeah, it's all pretty disgraceful stuff :roll:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Really a nothing story and a complete beat up.

Read the full story. Crux is

a) Harvey wants to be a senior coach (good on him, a harder job choice in footy would be hard to find)
b) He was very dissapointed to miss out on the top job (as anyone would be)
c) He got feedback over two days of his strengths and weaknesses of his presentation and appreciated the honesty (as Harvs would)
d) the Saints emphasised that they want him at the club and want to continue grooming him for a senior coach role (a smart and loyal move by the Saints)
e) He remaines passionate towards the Saints (inferring no hard feelings) but want to see if moving will further his career as a coach (as he should).

Fair dinkum what a load of twaddle.

The Saints are after the best coach possible and if Rob Harvey isn't in the mix well you tell him up front and explain why, which as reported they did.

And for the poster who reckoned they should give Harvey a second round interview to patronise him and for charity. My god as fingers said it would come out that the coaching process was a farce just like with Thomas.

As for Nettlefold being a dud, aren't Andrew Thomson and Nathan Burke also on the coaching selection panel ? They played with Harvey and were part of the decision not to go forward with him. Are they duds as well?

Do we just give the coaching job to a favourite son? Didn't we try that a decade ago?

just another hysterical beat up because the media think the Saints are fair game in the off season :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:"Pelchen and co have indicated to Harvey the strengths and weaknesses of his bid and while still disappointed, Harvey, the Saints' games record-holder, four-time club champion and former captain, told the club he appreciated the honest feedback.

The club, in turn, has indicated its strong preference for Harvey to remain at St Kilda, where he is contracted for the next two seasons, having returned to the Saints at the end of last year after two years under Brett Ratten at Carlton."

Yeah, it's all pretty disgraceful stuff :roll:
Im unsure anyone said it was disgracful stuff.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

That is all ......
If anything even slightly negative is written about our club it is a media beat up. Over the last couple of years I would suggest there has been plenty for the media to beat up. I reckon it is about time people dont shoot the messenger and look at what is happening to our club. From the outside it doesnt look great and I reckon even the players must be wondering what the hell is going on.
Like what? Yeah, there are issues but all clubs have issues and we are in the news becuause it's makes a great story and it all feeds upon itself. You know that stuff is blown way out of proportion.

It doesn't sound like the Saints have done anything wrong to me at all. Anyway, the article is probably only 10% correct as all these things usually are.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Much as I have admired Robert harvey as a wonderful player and legend of the club, I'm not sure whether it's healthy for this status to be used in isolation as a criteria for considering his appointment as our next senior coach. I'm of the belief that he has more to offer the club in the role of development coach, and that a senior coaching position is something for him to look at a wee bit later on. Yes we show respect for his playing achievements, but also show honesty and candour toward the guy in this matter. The facts are that there are several candidates who have done a solid apprenticeship and are well regarded as potential senior coaches, if Harves has been eliminated from the "process" (God I hate THAT term :roll: ) in a fair and proper manner, then he needs to cop it sweet and accept the decision. If the article is to be believed and Harvey is now (allegedly) upset and contemplating "walking out on the club" then perhaps he was never the right fit for the job anyway.
This is too important a position for us to be allowing sentiment to cloud judgement.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

That is all ......
Like what? Yeah, there are issues but all clubs have issues and we are in the news becuause it's makes a great story and it all feeds upon itself. You know that stuff is blown way out of proportion.

It doesn't sound like the Saints have done anything wrong to me at all. Anyway, the article is probably only 10% correct as all these things usually are.
I havent said the Saints did anything wrong. My point is we shoot the messenger all the time. Even silly Ivy got on the radio today and said the club are stuffing things up. It doesnt take long before people lose heart and then we lose members. All these silly things that have happened all add up and as I said even the players would be starting to wonder what the hell is going on.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I reckon it is about time people dont shoot the messenger
Whats the message though plugger?

I cant see a message in the story at all except for a headline about Harvey "walking out" on the Saints.

Incredibly, when you read the story there is no suggestion of a big statement "walking out", but a bloke who missed out on a job looking to possibly further his career elsewhere, but being assured he is wanted at his current position.

is that a "walk out"? Just feeds intot he meme. Saints have senior coach "walk out", Saints have SC issues so will offload their stars, Saints are a rabble because they interviewed too many people for the coaching job, now Saints mistreat favourite son.

mate if you cant see the meme being created by the media, you aren't looking too hard.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Well said Joffa boy!!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I reckon it is about time people dont shoot the messenger
Whats the message though plugger?

I cant see a message in the story at all except for a headline about Harvey "walking out" on the Saints.

Incredibly, when you read the story there is no suggestion of a big statement "walking out", but a bloke who missed out on a job looking to possibly further his career elsewhere, but being assured he is wanted at his current position.

is that a "walk out"? Just feeds intot he meme. Saints have senior coach "walk out", Saints have SC issues so will offload their stars, Saints are a rabble because they interviewed too many people for the coaching job, now Saints mistreat favourite son.

mate if you cant see the meme being created by the media, you aren't looking too hard.
And why would the media be after our club. It is illogical. All those things you mentioned have happened and one of those probably happens at a club. The point is all those things happened to our club. It is always the media's fault or they are after us. Maybe we need to look at inside our club instead of always blaming others.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:. Even silly Ivy got on the radio today and said the club are stuffing things up. It doesnt take long before people lose heart and then we lose members. All these silly things that have happened all add up and as I said even the players would be starting to wonder what the hell is going on.
So hysterical, or incorrect reporting has nothing to do with the loss of heart?

So we select Rob Harvey as coach because he is a favourite son? Or we give him a second interview out of charity?

Ivy wanted Ayres as coach, so anyone else would be wrong.

Lance or James??

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:And why would the media be after our club. It is illogical. All those things you mentioned have happened and one of those probably happens at a club. The point is all those things happened to our club. It is always the media's fault or they are after us. Maybe we need to look at inside our club instead of always blaming others.
Apart from Lyon walking out, what has happened?

1) We wont be over the SC next season
2) We aren't offloading players like bj because of SC pressures
3) Harvey has not walked out on the club and is not upset at it (as reported in the article

Do you understand that it is not that the media is "against" St.Kilda, they have latched onto a MEME where they have built a straw man out of incorrect and just plain WRONG reports (coupled with lies from commentators like Thomas who tweeted the Saints had interviewed 40 applications, a blatant falsehood), and then every little thing, even when there is no story feeds this straw man meme.

It is a classic media tactic, used on every club, but you know, like, we are on a St.kilda forum, so of course we would discuss it and deconstruct it and show it foe what it is.

if you cant understand that, I suggest you shouldn't comment.

Lance or James??

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

What does MEME mean/stand for?

Dave Robicheaux
Club Player

Yeah! come clean boy! :wink:

Y'all better blow it off now