Tom Lynch

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Tom Lynch

Anyone know why he is being offered?

Surely worth keeping as we wont get much for him.....

I read briefly Adelaide are interested.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

He is hardly going to help reduce our salary cap...

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure its more the fact that Adelaide want him rather than him being offerred.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Should be kept and given more opportunity, under a new regime with a more youth orientated, attacking strategy.

Particularly given the fact that we are unlikely to come out on top on any deal, and will probably be downgrading to a 3rd round pick or an older, fringe player that'll reach no heights greater than Polo/Gamble...

Lynch may have an upside far greater, if given the opportunity.

But, it looks as though he's gone...

Hope he kicks on with a good AFL career...

All this makes me wonder where we'd all be rating Jack Steven had Lenny not gone down round 2, with all likelihood Steven playing the year out in the 2's again...

Very similar positions for mine..

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

I don't understand all the negativity with Lynch. He's played 5 games and people are writing him off. He performed well for Sandy this year and given he's ahead of at least Heyne and Cahill, and probably Johnson as well, we should keep him unless the price is very good.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Sobraz wrote:Particularly given the fact that we are unlikely to come out on top on any deal, and will probably be downgrading to a 3rd round pick or an older, fringe player that'll reach no heights greater than Polo/Gamble...
To lose him for 3rd round or a fringe player over the age of 23 would be a disaster. Especially this year in what is considered to be a weak draft (especially for talls). I'm not adverse to him going to Adelaide for more opportunities, but we have to get adequate compensation and 3rd round doesn't cut it.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Should be kept and given more opportunity, under a new regime with a more youth orientated, attacking strategy.

Particularly given the fact that we are unlikely to come out on top on any deal, and will probably be downgrading to a 3rd round pick or an older, fringe player that'll reach no heights greater than Polo/Gamble...

Lynch may have an upside far greater, if given the opportunity.

But, it looks as though he's gone...

Hope he kicks on with a good AFL career...

All this makes me wonder where we'd all be rating Jack Steven had Lenny not gone down round 2, with all likelihood Steven playing the year out in the 2's again...

Very similar positions for mine..
No jack Steven was touted as the next harvey in his first season by coaches and senior players. the roar out of the saints was loud, OP held jack back not poor form or questions over ability. All of Siposs, crocker, Cripps and Ledger have created instant appeal and already look in front of Lynch, I hope he gets a move on and stays because he has ability. his possie is a back pocket, not forward- but we have a few in front of him at the moment

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I dont see how Crocker could be ahead of Lynch. He has barely played Senior games for Sandringham at this stage.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

BECAUSE HE IS S***!!!

I have seen him play at sandy, looks like a solid vfl player.

Bring him up to the big league, looks slow, indecisive, and doesn't have great skills under pressure.

I would take any half decent offer we get for him, or we could use him to buffer up a trade.

Sainter for life.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SaintSimmo wrote:BECAUSE HE IS S***!!!

I have seen him play at sandy, looks like a solid vfl player.

Bring him up to the big league, looks slow, indecisive, and doesn't have great skills under pressure.

I would take any half decent offer we get for him, or we could use him to buffer up a trade.
That's a bit hard. I would like to have seen him put about 6 - 8 consecutive games together.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
ThePunter
Club Player

I think you all need to keep in mind that Adelaide have enquired about him, which means we won't be giving him away for nothing.

Having said that, he is on his 2nd contract so won't be on a tiny wage. Replacing him with a draftee would save money, but not as much as some of the other players who have been around longer.

I'll wait to see what Adelaide (or Sydney in a three-way deal) offer. If it is Sydney's 2nd rounder, that wouldn't be good enough (pick 41).

If it was Lynch and our first round pick (and maybe something else) for Adelaide's first round pick (pick 10), then I'd be all over it.

As I have said here and on Big Footy, we should not just be looking at stockpiling picks, but moving up in the draft.

shmic_s
Club Player

ThePunter wrote:we should not just be looking at stockpiling picks, but moving up in the draft.
I agree with this. Was going to mention that in the Gram thread.

If we can trade a player and our first round for better first round pick, I'd be happy.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

shmic_s wrote:
ThePunter wrote:we should not just be looking at stockpiling picks, but moving up in the draft.

If we can trade a player and our first round for better first round pick, I'd be happy.
i doubt they like him that much. hopefully he becomes our wellingham, shopped around and becomes a gun the next season.

defacto
Club Player

shmic_s wrote:

If we can trade a player and our first round for better first round pick, I'd be happy.[/quote

+1 here. no point going beyond pick 30 in this draft. we need to try and climb up the ladder on the picks.

i dont jump at any top 25 pick for any of gram, dawson, jones.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

defacto wrote:+1 here. no point going beyond pick 30 in this draft.
It's surprising what you can get for pick 30. :wink:

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Lynch has good skills and smarts, but lacks pace and doesn't have the size or strength to be a KPP. At the moment it seems his best position is a sweeping role across half back, but with Goddard, Gilbert, Dempster and Clarke at the club we've already got enough tallish half backs. I'd like to see how he goes with an extended run in a Ryan O'Keefe role before dismissing him though. Has a knack of getting in the right position up forward, just needs to be able to beat an AFL quality defender in the air.

Rutts

Tom Lynch

Now that the Gunston deal has been done..looks like we would get Pick 24 from Adelaide for Tom Lynch...do we keep the pick or trade it?

When in doubt ask yourself...what would Robert Harvey do?
sainterinsydney
Club Player

Is Maric a possibility?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tom Lynch

Rutts wrote:Now that the Gunston deal has been done..looks like we would get Pick 24 from Adelaide for Tom Lynch...do we keep the pick or trade it?
what did we spend on him?

do do we have a buy high sell low policy? quick way to go bankrupt.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:...what did we spend on him?
Heaps. Number 13 pick. But a dud's a dud, despite what he went for.

savatage
SS Life Member

perfectionist wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:...what did we spend on him?
Heaps. Number 13 pick. But a dud's a dud, despite what he went for.
I think he could be a "handy" AFL footballer, definitely not a dud - but certainly not ever going to be a "gun" either. Pick 24 would be quite decent compensation really.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

The thing with Lynch will come down to whether or not other club/s think enough of him to offer what we consider a FAIR deal for St Kilda. Historically, deals involving peripheral players like Lynch get done pretty early so (a) he isn't on the table. or (b) There haven't been any offers. or (c) Any offers haven't been to our liking !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

savatage
SS Life Member

Eastern wrote:The thing with Lynch will come down to whether or not other club/s think enough of him to offer what we consider a FAIR deal for St Kilda. Historically, deals involving peripheral players like Lynch get done pretty early so (a) he isn't on the table. or (b) There haven't been any offers. or (c) Any offers haven't been to our liking !!
a) He definitely is
b) There certainly have
c) That or they've been waiting on the other deals to get sorted out before exchanging further "available" picks...

Rosco
Club Player

next monday should be good.

how many trades do people expect us to be involved with this week? from what pelchen has said i would expect maybe 2 or 3 players / picks will be moved around, will be an interesting weekend in the media if nothing happens before then.

PJ
SS Life Member

Tom's a first round pick - I'd be wanting serious compensation if he goes that's for sure. 2nd and 3rd round picks won't cut it.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.