Why is Dawson being touted as trade bait?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Why is Dawson being touted as trade bait?

He's youngish - 23-24. Was our best player in the finals in 2010. Needs to get stronger, however has a good turn of speed and KPP don't grow on trees - especially full backs. Surely we aren't paying him over the odds? And surely he hasn't asked to be traded. I know he can make mistakes - but in the big scheme of things I reckon we need to keep him. What have we got to gain by trading him.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

All I can think of is that 'in Ross he trusts' and might be worried that the new coach will think he is useless. Can't see us trying to get rid of our FB - isn't exactly as dispensable as others on our list.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why is Dawson being touted as trade bait?

Moods wrote:He's youngish - 23-24. Was our best player in the finals in 2010. Needs to get stronger, however has a good turn of speed and KPP don't grow on trees - especially full backs. Surely we aren't paying him over the odds? And surely he hasn't asked to be traded. I know he can make mistakes - but in the big scheme of things I reckon we need to keep him. What have we got to gain by trading him.
agree.
would have to be a very very juicy offer. if he does some more gym work he could end up a real gun for the next 7 years.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

I reckon they are playing both zac and ray

Pelchen is clever - talk it up in the media and then sign em up for less

Seen it happen many times before

#1 Ryder fan
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Zac would be 26 next year

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why is Dawson being touted as trade bait?

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Moods wrote:He's youngish - 23-24. Was our best player in the finals in 2010. Needs to get stronger, however has a good turn of speed and KPP don't grow on trees - especially full backs. Surely we aren't paying him over the odds? And surely he hasn't asked to be traded. I know he can make mistakes - but in the big scheme of things I reckon we need to keep him. What have we got to gain by trading him.
agree.
would have to be a very very juicy offer. if he does some more gym work he could end up a real gun for the next 7 years.
Yep its that easy

savatage
SS Life Member

Not sure why he'd pop out with a big manly physique suddenly next year guys...a lot of wishful thinking there!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:Not sure why he'd pop out with a big manly physique suddenly next year guys...a lot of wishful thinking there!
Of course he wont but it doesnt stop some thinking you just do weights and look like Tarzan.

savatage
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
savatage wrote:Not sure why he'd pop out with a big manly physique suddenly next year guys...a lot of wishful thinking there!
Of course he wont but it doesnt stop some thinking you just do weights and look like Tarzan.
Clearly....and with a sudden strong physique that grows overnight - his football ability will suddenly double I guess too....

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

St Ick wrote:All I can think of is that 'in Ross he trusts' and might be worried that the new coach will think he is useless. Can't see us trying to get rid of our FB - isn't exactly as dispensable as others on our list.
afl.com.au article stating RL not interested in any former Saints players.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
savatage
SS Life Member

St Ick wrote:
St Ick wrote:All I can think of is that 'in Ross he trusts' and might be worried that the new coach will think he is useless. Can't see us trying to get rid of our FB - isn't exactly as dispensable as others on our list.
We trust Ross Lyon's word?? :)

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Maybe Pelchen isn't interested in Zac?

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Weird thing was in 09 he beefed up bigtime..remember him giving Barry Hall a great bump and outmuscling him and generally physically holding his own that year..then in 2010 he ran out for the first round a good 7 kgs lighter ,looking much scrawnier ..he needs a good weight program from the new fitness coach..wouldn't give Zac up easily..does a job generally 8-)

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
What about current ones? :P

savatage
SS Life Member

saint patrick wrote:
Weird thing was in 09 he beefed up bigtime..remember him giving Barry Hall a great bump and outmuscling him and generally physically holding his own that year..then in 2010 he ran out for the first round a good 7 kgs lighter ,looking much scrawnier ..he needs a good weight program from the new fitness coach..wouldn't give Zac up easily..does a job generally 8-)
He was a "little" bigger in the upper body - let's not get too carried away. He had a tad more size in the arms. Got sick subsequently & lost it...never put it back on.

The bumping was an early trademark & a good one - but that had more to do with timing & solid legs (which he does have!) than upper body strength.

Zac's alright. He's by no means a gun & he's by no means a hack...but one of many players who you'd put out there to see what other options there are.

savatage
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:
St Ick wrote:
What about current ones? :P
Zing!

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:
saint patrick wrote:
He was a "little" bigger in the upper body - let's not get too carried away. He had a tad more size in the arms. Got sick subsequently & lost it...never put it back on.

The bumping was an early trademark & a good one - but that had more to do with timing & solid legs (which he does have!) than upper body strength.

Zac's alright. He's by no means a gun & he's by no means a hack...but one of many players who you'd put out there to see what other options there are.
I would be very interested in comparing his weight in 09 to 10..reckon there was lot more definition and conditioning there and you could see it in the way he wasn't pushed aside like the previous year..work in the fitness area and reckon he was much stronger that year !

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I remeber him doing a superb job on Barry Hall in a NAB Cup Grand Final......

savatage
SS Life Member

saint patrick wrote:
savatage wrote:
saint patrick wrote:

I would be very interested in comparing his weight in 09 to 10..reckon there was lot more definition and conditioning there and you could see it in the way he wasn't pushed aside like the previous year..work in the fitness area and reckon he was much stronger that year !
Straight after losing that weight - obviously he was noticeably thinner...he looked terrible - but it shouldn't take someone used to resistance training that long to put weight back on.

I went overseas for 2 months, didnt touch a weight - or take protein shakes etc...I lost a noticeable amount of weight & size, I've quickly put it back on from solid work in 4 weeks. You'd know better than anyone - that a bit of hard work & the right nutrition & the muscle memory will kick back in!

He should be way bigger than he was at the start of 2009...unless there's a medical reason for him not to be doing upper body weight training then this is pretty disappointing. Genetically he must find it hard to stack the KG's on it must be said.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:
saint patrick wrote:
savatage wrote:
saint patrick wrote:

Straight after losing that weight - obviously he was noticeably thinner...he looked terrible - but it shouldn't take someone used to resistance training that long to put weight back on.

I went overseas for 2 months, didnt touch a weight - or take protein shakes etc...I lost a noticeable amount of weight & size, I've quickly put it back on from solid work in 4 weeks. You'd know better than anyone - that a bit of hard work & the right nutrition & the muscle memory will kick back in!

He should be way bigger than he was at the start of 2009...unless there's a medical reason for him not to be doing upper body weight training then this is pretty disappointing. Genetically he must find it hard to stack the KG's on it must be said.
Agree with this..there may be other reasons like a nagging injury that may have prevented Zac regaining his conditioning..will be interesting to see how he presents this year...hope its in Red,White and Black personally 8-)

savatage
SS Life Member

saint patrick wrote:
savatage wrote:
saint patrick wrote:
savatage wrote:
saint patrick wrote:

Agree with this..there may be other reasons like a nagging injury that may have prevented Zac regaining his conditioning..will be interesting to see how he presents this year...hope its in Red,White and Black personally 8-)
Man...if he's with us next year (which is pretty likely)...I'd hope like hell that he's stacking the creatine and punishing himself in the weights room...

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Maybe Pelchen isn't interested in Zac?
Sounds like a smart man that Mr Pelchen.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Nikky Rixon
Club Player

i like the way he pisses opposition forwards off he must get under thier skin which is cool , i just hope he and Taff Clarke and Panther Sam Gilbert really come of age next year i reckon they will gotta keep him

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Ur a total douche plugger. Clrarly never played sport.
U can make large improvements in strength if u train and eat smart and hard. If u haven't seen people do it u have never played sport at any level.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I remeber him doing a superb job on Barry Hall in a NAB Cup Grand Final......
And I remember him doing a superb job on the same player in a fair dinkum final - 2010 Preliminary Final.

Still, I suppose it's time we assessed more players on NAB Cup form. Clearly an underrated criterion on which to manage a list.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021