St Kilda has Gary Ayres in mix

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Shades
Club Player

St Kilda has Gary Ayres in mix

PORT Melbourne's 2011 premiership coach, Gary Ayres, a former Geelong and Adelaide coach, was scheduled to present to St Kilda's coaching sub-committee last night.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6160721946

SaintSimmo
Club Player

So looks like the candiates are:
Gary Ayres
Robert Harvey
Ken Hinkley
Alan Richardson
Scott Watters
Gavin Brown :?:

interesting.... 8-)

Sainter for life.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I'd be happy to see Ayres as a senior assistant to a younger coach. A team of Watters, Ayres and Harvey would be a solid base for the coaching group.

Please not Ayres for the senior coach though; he had his chances and never got to the top

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:I'd be happy to see Ayres as a senior assistant to a younger coach. A team of Watters, Ayres and Harvey would be a solid base for the coaching group.

Please not Ayres for the senior coach though; he had his chances and never got to the top
Goodbye membership if so.

james rose
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:I'd be happy to see Ayres as a senior assistant to a younger coach. A team of Watters, Ayres and Harvey would be a solid base for the coaching group.

Goodbye membership if so.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Ross who?
Club Player

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Please God, noooooo :cry:

He is NOT the one to lead our group of players. :evil:

Blake Acres fan club VIP
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

The Saints are interviewing several prospects.

I think we knew Ayres was one of them.

Article simply saying we're going to interview Ayres.

Because we're interviewing him he's "in the mix".

All those being interviewed are "in the mix" otherwise why would we interview them?

Nothing's changed as far as I can tell.

sasaint
Club Player

I can understand why people think that Ayers would be a bad choice, and I initially held this veiw, but think of the upside.
He is someone who has seen the inside of the senior coaches box in the past so he knows what is required.
Our mature players ( Roo, BJ, NDS ) who still have a sniff of a cup would probably see an untied coach as a sign of a rebuild. An experienced coach could be seen as a vote of confidence.
He has already been assessed by two other clubs as having what is required to lead a team successfuly ( and yes he has not taken a club to the ultimate success but he is not Robinson Crusoe there!).
He is well connected throughout the AFL and knows who to contact to get things done, and maybe get some new blood into the team.
He would probably work well with Pelchen given the Hawks connection. (And there is no denying that the Hawks have produced a lot of success over the years.)

We could do a lot worse than getting Ayers IMHO. :)

Patience young grasshopper
james rose
Club Player

To be honest when Ross Lyon left Gary Ayers was one of the first people I thought of to replace him.

*He's solid enough tactically
*He isn't as regimented as R. Lyon providing a breath of fresh air to the players
*He gets the best out of players
*He has a very good record

It depends where you see us. I see us a finalist at the least next year and trying to manage a list rebuild at the same time.

If you see us as a club that needs to do a complete rebuild, he's not your man but I don't and the club has made it pretty clear they don't either.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Is this the same Gary Ayres I'm thinking of?

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:The Saints are interviewing several prospects.

All those being interviewed are "in the mix" otherwise why would we interview them?

I don't think we did know that Ayres was one of them, so this is confirmation he's been interviewed (if correct).

Personally I'm pro-Gary. Outstanding player, and what he's done this year is no fluke but one hell of an achievement, and his players love him.

Go the Gary I say

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: St Kilda has Gary Ayres in mix

Meeting was at a city hotel. Wonder who got the first shout?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:The Saints are interviewing several prospects.

I don't think we did know that Ayres was one of them, so this is confirmation he's been interviewed (if correct).

Personally I'm pro-Gary. Outstanding player, and what he's done this year is no fluke but one hell of an achievement, and his players love him.

Go the Gary I say
Well it has been alluded to on other threads and Gerard Healy had him in the top 6 earlier in the week.

When you look at who's still available it comes as no surprise he's been asked to submit.

At the very least, a presentation by someone like Ayres provides the panel with a very good comparison with the rookies.

At the end of the day, may be best man win! :)

MadSaintFan
Club Player

I love how some people on here say "Gary Ayres is NOT the man to lead our group of players." In all honesty how would you know? Fair enough you can have an opinion but hes being interview for the role and obviously has some attributes which are attractive to the selection panel. Hes coached previously and has a solid record at the highest level - also took a stand alone VFL club to an undefeated season and premiership.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Its all POLITICS.

Ayres (or his management) would know Noddy Sheahan and have asked him to "PUMP UP AYRES' TYRES". Where does Ayres sit in the pecking order? I'd suspect that Netters, Burkey and very few others would know !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Saints94
SS Life Member

So is Hinkley still in the race?, Watters is our man with Ayres as senior assistant

stinger
Saintsational Legend

f*** no....(to ayres)

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
spert
Saintsational Legend

I remember Blight at Geelong in the '80s when he couldn't crack it for a premiership- everyone wanted his blood down there including some senior players. Move on to the late 90s and he had a couple of premierships under his belt. Don't write anyone with senior experience off.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

That dud Ayres with a TERRIBLE coaching record.....infact a terrible record in the industry....

He wouldnt know his way around a footy field......and leadership, has he ever shown any???

None whatsoever, so I am informed by supporters on saintsational

One part of me wants him to get the job....just so I can have a laugh at some experts on here, who label him incompetatnt.....when he is clearly not

My real preference would be a more contemporary coach.....mainly to do with tactical awareness...

If we had a young group.....I would think Gary would be a great choice...terrific mentor...does not get flustered
His actual record speaks for itself

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Its all POLITICS.

Ayres (or his management) would know Noddy Sheahan and have asked him to "PUMP UP AYRES' TYRES". Where does Ayres sit in the pecking order? I'd suspect that Netters, Burkey and very few others would know !!
and if they didn't know who would?

Another opportunity awaits!
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:That dud Ayres with a TERRIBLE coaching record.....infact a terrible record in the industry....

He wouldnt know his way around a footy field......and leadership, has he ever shown any???

None whatsoever, so I am informed by supporters on saintsational

One part of me wants him to get the job....just so I can have a laugh at some experts on here, who label him incompetatnt.....when he is clearly not

My real preference would be a more contemporary coach.....mainly to do with tactical awareness...

If we had a young group.....I would think Gary would be a great choice...terrific mentor...does not get flustered
His actual record speaks for itself
And the fact that he was an awesome footballer, which adds a fair amount of credibility. He'd certainly be able to straighten out a few of the guys in the backline ie Gram, Ray and Dawson to start with.

Another opportunity awaits!
MadSaintFan
Club Player

Spot on Bigmart. Cant believe how some people are so passionate about their opinions without having any knowledge or statistics to back it up. People talk about our list being difficult to manage, well if it is Id prefer a man whose been in the industry for 30 years playing and coaching than a first year coach.

gosaints
Club Player

I think we could do worse.

Ayres would be absolutely ideal as a senior assistant but if the board thinks he is the best man for the big job then so be it.

People saying he has not reached the top, well no he hasn't won a premiership as an AFL coach, but he has reached the same level as the great Ross Lyon that everyone is so pissed off at losing.
He has also coached his own VFL team to an unbeaten season.

We could do a hell of alot worse.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

According to the Age they are interviewing 10 people. The media are bound to go through them and mention at least half of them as being the favourite as some point. Yes, Ayres is being interviewed, but that doesn't mean he's going to be the next coach.
I think we all have to ignore the papers for the next week or two until an announcement is made. Let's face it, how many of these media experts told us that Ross was going to Freo, or got the Melbourne and Bulldogs appointments right?

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
markp
Saintsational Legend

If he's considered the best applicant, I wouldn't have a problem with it... heaps of experience, always presented well, still fairly young.

I'd be more worried if they got all starry-eyed and threw a massive Blightesque offer at Malthouse.