Harvey for Coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Harvey for Coach

Harves for Coach
I am amazed there is no thread on this.
Reasons:
1. Club Legend
2. Recent Experience
3. Love of the Saints
4. Players will play for him
5. More supporters = memberships
6. Could be better than Buckley
7. No one else has any of the above except 6

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

i hope you're ready to be shot down. harves has already been pigeon holed...

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

No one can shoot me down except with heartless statistics - my argument holds.
Go with the heart Saints. WTF not?

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Hope not...

I hope not I dont think he is up to it - but mates getting the gig at the club has a ring to it doesn't it.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I personally wouldn't have any objection to Harvey as coach if:

1. He truly believes he is up to it.
2. He is given adequate support by the club in terms of the appointment of some experienced assistant coaches (not a "mentor": I reckon that sort of stuff - along with directors of coaching and development coaches and god knows what next: self-awareness coaches and personal hygeine coaches and deportment coaches - is all a load of absolute codswallop)

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Yes, OK, WO but that does not mention who you prefer and why.

jays
Club Player

dont think it will happen, he might get job if we get another tried coach like pies have done

lefty
Club Player

tbh, no one knows if hes good or not.

F*** it, ill trust harves 100% and ill be happy if hes coach.

no one thought ross lyon was good either, or gt, and both did very well.

Everyone that thought watson and blight were good ended up being duds.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Carlton appointed him as a youth development coach, I think that is probably his best role.

After upgrading him as an assistant coach for a season, they moved him on with others, to get in experienced coaches?

Megsie
Club Player

Nooooooooooo. wrong path.......too soon.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

As I have said on many different threads, the Coaching Panel looks to be well credentialled. Let the process take its course and we will see what happens.

Then ..... let's get behind whoever is appointed. It's the most important appointment that the Club will make in the next 5 years. :wink:

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Why..?

mbogo wrote:Yes, OK, WO but that does not mention who you prefer and why.
I luv the guy but I dont believe he is the guy to lead the club right now.

Harves was the midfield coach this year (2011) a year the Saints midfield went from the top 3 in the comp to second last in just about every imaginable statistic.

He is a very poor public speaker and to teach/coach you need to be a naturally gifted communicator and leader which Harves is not.

I dont think he could generate the energy and enthusiasm required after the year we have just had.

We need someone from outside who is not tainted with the St Kilda history of imploding when things get tough. Someone who comes from a sucessful club culture which poor old Harves is not!

Most of all I dont think Harves has NOT shown himself to be a sucessful assistant as yet, let alone been given the responsibility of running the club. He needs a few more years at other clubs perhaps even running the VFL side before he should be given the reins.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Wouldnt you want the best available and im not sure if Harvey is. To pick a coach based on friendship or feelings then we are going no where.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Harvey's contract not renewed at Carlton does not mean he was a not a good asst coach..... Ok if folks don't want Harvey as coach, but don't use the reason he was moved on......

Carlton also released Montgomery and Lappin (Teague had a P/T role as North Bullants coach and sought a F/T coaching job) where are they now, were they discarded to the footy scrapheap?

Harvey went to last year's runner up
Teague is asst coach at WCE
Montgomery was in the mix for the Port job and is now asst at WB
Lappin went to Coll

Every year there is a merry go round of assistants changing clubs - already several so far this year - some of these guys are quite young, yet have already been to 2-3 clubs at least.

No Contract, No contact :shock:
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Tim Watson was one of the best players in Essendon's history and played during one of it's most successful periods. If I'm to believe the story, it appears that when he took his seat in the coaches box for the first time he FROZE! I'm not syaing that Harves would be the same, just that being a top player does not always equate to being a great coach. I would hate to see a champion become a victim of the hype and pressure of the coaching merry-go-round. We need to learn the lessons of Port Adelaide who had the chance to snare Chris Scott, and instead plumped for a "favourite son" in Matty Primus. The proof of that blunder can be seen in the AFL ladder positions for 2011!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

not scared for harvs at all. will be very happy if he gets the gig.
as for communication and public speaking skills? lyon?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
gurubob101
Club Player

All first time coaches grow into the job and I don't think you can dismiss Banger out of hand just because he's not a naturally gifted orator. Yabby Jeans was a quiet self conscious sort of bloke when he started out. You don't play 383 games of league footy over 21 seasons, win two Brownlows and captain the side without knowing a thing or two about football. He's been selected as the caretaker coach which means someone down there at Seaford thinks he's worthy of consideration. He's a St Kilda man through and through and played in a successful era where we played in plenty of finals, including the big one that got away in '97. Imho he has serious claims to being the best qualified person for the job. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence!

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:...We need to learn the lessons of Port Adelaide who had the chance to snare Chris Scott, and instead plumped for a "favourite son" in Matty Primus. The proof of that blunder can be seen in the AFL ladder positions for 2011!
Yep. On Sept 9 2010, Matthew Primus was named coach (after a caretaker role for the last nine games) over Chris Scott. Chris Scott was then appointed to Geelong 9 days later.

I have never seen a coach with Robert's personality (non egotistical and nice). But there is a first time for everything. If he can teach Sam Gilbert to kick twenty metres accurately, he's got my vote.

saintnick12
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:Tim Watson was one of the best players in Essendon's history and played during one of it's most successful periods. If I'm to believe the story, it appears that when he took his seat in the coaches box for the first time he FROZE! I'm not syaing that Harves would be the same, just that being a top player does not always equate to being a great coach. I would hate to see a champion become a victim of the hype and pressure of the coaching merry-go-round. We need to learn the lessons of Port Adelaide who had the chance to snare Chris Scott, and instead plumped for a "favourite son" in Matty Primus. The proof of that blunder can be seen in the AFL ladder positions for 2011!
I think the difference in ladder positions of those two teams might have more to do with the playing stocks of those two teams rather than the coaches. Yes, I think Scott is a great coach, but I doubt PA would have done too much better even with him as coach.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Right now there is no coach who will guarantee us a flag- none. Because a coach got a premiership elsewhere is due to the fact that the team he built or refined all clicked together and had winners across all lines, had good tactical support and probably a stable off-field environment with full support when needed. To then walk into another club and expect it all to happen again is only dreaming. If there's evidence of a coach who has a history of taking on a reasonable team, recruiting smartly, developing players and then winning a premiership, then whoever diplays those qualities should be on top of our list..should be interesting.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

A massive no way from me.

I'm not even happy he is temporary coach. Doesn't cone across as coaching matriel at all sorry.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

saintnick12 wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:..........We need to learn the lessons of Port Adelaide who had the chance to snare Chris Scott, and instead plumped for a "favourite son" in Matty Primus. The proof of that blunder can be seen in the AFL ladder positions for 2011!
I think the difference in ladder positions of those two teams might have more to do with the playing stocks of those two teams rather than the coaches. Yes, I think Scott is a great coach, but I doubt PA would have done too much better even with him as coach.
Yep players make coaches (mostly) - give Scott Port's list and Primus Geelong's and then make an assessment!

My preferences are still Watters, Richardson then Harvey - but I don't agree with some of the reasons for dismissing Harvey

No Contract, No contact :shock:
rorza
Club Player

I don't think you can blame Robert Harvey for the midfield. Not having Lenny Hayes winning the clearances made a massive difference.

For example, if you took Joel Selwood from Geelong, Sam Mitchell from Hawthorn then the midfield of any team would suffer. These players are not easily replaced and each club only has 1-2 genuine ball winners.

I was very pleased the way Nick Dal Santo stood up, and I am sure that was with guidance from Bangers and Lenny. Jack Stevens and Armitage were also able to win their own ball. I think with Lenny back next year and further development of the above and throw in Tommy Ledge for a few runs on the ball and I agree with Leigh Matthews, we will be top four next year.

Go Saints!

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Re: Harvey for Coach

mbogo wrote:Harves for Coach
I am amazed there is no thread on this.
Reasons:
1. Club Legend
2. Recent Experience
3. Love of the Saints
4. Players will play for him
5. More supporters = memberships
6. Could be better than Buckley
7. No one else has any of the above except 6
1. so what if he is a club legend? I am a legend of SaintSational but nobody is offering me a moderator's position.
2. Recent experience of two years
3. I love the saints?
4. if the players need someone like him to get them up then they should all leave immediately.
5. we are already at 40k memberships off a year where we finished 7th and lost the coach. be realistic.
6. who cares if he could be bigger than Buckley? I want a coach that can take us to the promised land.
7. Other coaches seem better credentialed and have actually been around success.

PJ
SS Life Member

I think Harves might be down the list in terms of experience so I'd be surprised if he got it.

Watters - 2 flags in the WAFL, 2 flags in the AFL as assisstant.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.