Goddard not on GWS radar.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Goddard not on GWS radar.

According to Mike Sheahan's understanding/sources. Interesting. Not sure whether this has been mentioned anywhere else, but this is the first time I've heard this from anyone (especially someone who could have good intel). (And I'm not interested in hearing anyone's personal opinion on Mike Sheahan, as this is not an opinion piece by him, it's just him relaying what his sources have apparently told him, in his "Write to Mike" section of today's HS.)
If true this would certainly make it far easier to re-sign him one would expect. It may be the first break we've gotten in a while.
Apparently he's very much in the sights of one of the big Melbourne clubs, though.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Sat 24 Sep 2011 12:56pm, edited 5 times in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Essendon

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I think we should take Heppell and Hurley and move on. :wink:

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

They owe us for selling us a lemon in 2009.....although the gullable fools that bought him are responsible for that masterstroke

bozza1980
Club Player

Re: Goddard not on GWS radar.

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:According to Mike Sheahan's understanding/sources. Interesting. Not sure whether this has been mentioned anywhere else, but this is the first time I've heard this from anyone (especially someone who could have good intel). (And I'm not interested in hearing anyone's personal opinion on Mike Sheahan, as this is not an opinion piece by him, it's just him relaying what his sources have apparently told him, in his "Write to Mike" section of today's HS.)
If true this would certainly make it far easier to re-sign him one would expect. It may be the first break we've gotten in a while.
Apparently he's very much in the sights of one of the big Melbourne clubs, though.
Sheehan would obviously have better sauces than I do, but I would be extremely suprised if GWS, who have or are intending to sign Chad Cornes, Dean Brogan, James McDonald and Luke Power, would ignore the possibility of signing Brendan Goddard when he becomes a free agent next year.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:They owe us for selling us a lemon in 2009.....although the gullable fools that bought him are responsible for that masterstroke
They owe us nothing.

We lost out. Simple as that.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:They owe us for selling us a lemon in 2009.....although the gullable fools that bought him are responsible for that masterstroke
If they sit down at the trade table with us and try to negotiate a deal for BJ, we ought to put a framed photo of Lovett down on the table, facing them, for the duration of the negotiations. :lol:

SunburySaint
Club Player

Hurley, Ryder and a first rounder would do it!

Now lives in Geelong...
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Sold!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Maybe they are still after Pendlebury, or someone who only committed for 12 months.

There are some elite players, that bit younger than BJ.

I remember reading rumours last year that Bucks and Ball were seen having coffee with BJ, couldn't see Pies fitting him in the salary cap though.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

bozza1980 wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:According to Mike Sheahan's understanding/sources. Interesting. Not sure whether this has been mentioned anywhere else, but this is the first time I've heard this from anyone (especially someone who could have good intel). (And I'm not interested in hearing anyone's personal opinion on Mike Sheahan, as this is not an opinion piece by him, it's just him relaying what his sources have apparently told him, in his "Write to Mike" section of today's HS.)
Sheehan would obviously have better sauces than I do, but I would be extremely suprised if GWS, who have or are intending to sign Chad Cornes, Dean Brogan, James McDonald and Luke Power, would ignore the possibility of signing Brendan Goddard when he becomes a free agent next year.
Those ones you mentioned would come to them at base salary and are just there to provide a bit of protection and leadership for the younger ones in their first year (or two) of AFL. Goddard would cost them perhaps 10-15 times more than each of them and they may not be prepared to spend that much on someone who is closer to 30 than 20 and would be nearing the end of his career when they start vying for a flag (they hope).

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

They struggled to fit thomas in.....BJ would be on abot a million for his next contract.....they would have to lose a big name...

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If GWS have categorically stated that BJ is not in their sights, well the way the footy world is nowadays that would not build my confidence that he is staying.

bozza1980
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Those ones you mentioned would come to them at base salary and are just there to provide a bit of protection and leadership for the younger ones in their first year (or two) of AFL. Goddard would cost them perhaps 10-15 times more than each of them and they may not be prepared to spend that much on someone who is closer to 30 than 20 and would be nearing the end of his career when they start vying for a flag (they hope).
Very true.

But they are going to have a list of 18-22 year old kids a bigger salary cap than the rest of the clubs and an opportunity to sign one of the competitions top 5 players.

Unless they actually sign another superstar, they are telling porkies if they say they would not consider signing Brendan Goddard when he becomes a free agent next year.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
BushDave
Club Player

The club need to sign him up now on a 3 year extension. If he doesn't go for it, then it means his going anyway so he should be traded. We need to get on the front foot for once and stop being outsmarted and screwed over by the more competent clubs.

Never Give Up!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

nope
not on the radar
not at all

not one, little...bit

:twisted:

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

In Sheeds we trust......

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:They struggled to fit thomas in.....BJ would be on abot a million for his next contract.....they would have to lose a big name...
Dawes has been linked to GWS .. Didak will prob be gone , Davis will go .. Not to mention brown retirinand possibly Tarrant so if they replace then with kids they should have room... Plus this is collingwood don't put a simple thing like cap space get in the way ;)

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Essendon
How do you know its Essendon? Or are you guessing?

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:I think we should take Heppell and Hurley and move on. :wink:
That would be a good deal.

Ross who?
Club Player

Heard recently in media that GWS are after a BIG name player that hasn't been mentioned before. :?

Blake Acres fan club VIP
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Ross who? wrote:Heard recently in media that GWS are after a BIG name player that hasn't been mentioned before. :?
they have been sprouting that for weeks and continue to say it;s someone still competing.....

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Ross who? wrote:Heard recently in media that GWS are after a BIG name player that hasn't been mentioned before. :?
Stevie J

StNoodles
Club Player

Have heard it's Sam Mitchell. We'll know soon if it is.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

saintbrat wrote:
they have been sprouting that for weeks and continue to say it;s someone still competing.....
I've just gone through the lists and from the information we've been given its out of two BIG name players;

- Sharrod Wellingham
- George Horlin-Smith

At 17 letters each its anyones guess, but I'm guessing young two-dads wins because of the hyphon. Ticks all the boxes as far as I can see...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!