A Tale of Two Knees...and a new coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Leo.J
SS Life Member

A Tale of Two Knees...and a new coach

Our clubs future rests on the health of two knees... and our new coach

If Roo and Lenny can come back fit it will give us an opportunity to contend again imo, provided we are able to adapt to a new game plan in one preseason.

And this depends on how different our new coaches game plan is to our current one, how he intends to trade, and how much he can get out of our youth.

If I remember correctly all the experts were saying that it was an end of an era for the Cats at the end of last year.

Thompson and Ablett gone, an old list... it was all over apparently.

Almost 12 months later, a new coach who adapted and tweaked the list and the game plan, rather than having a clean out and a wholesale change of game style...

Scott also developed some young guns, and filled the vacuum created by Ablett's departure.

I wonder where we'll be in 12 months?

End Of An Era
Club Player

Re: A Tale of Two Knees...and a new coach

Leo.J wrote:Our clubs future rests on the health of two knees... and our new coach

If Roo and Lenny can come back fit it will give us an opportunity to contend again imo, provided we are able to adapt to a new game plan in one preseason.

And this depends on how different our new coaches game plan is to our current one, how he intends to trade, and how much he can get out of our youth.

If I remember correctly all the experts were saying that it was an end of an era for the Cats at the end of last year.

Almost 12 months later, a new coach who adapted and tweaked the list and the game plan, rather than having a clean out and a wholesale change of game style...

Scott also developed some young guns, and filled the vacuum created by Ablett's departure.

Keep kidding yourself Leo.J

Ross who?
Club Player

You have taken my exact thoughts and put them in to words. :shock:
Add in a decent draft pick or 2 and some trade value and away we go
8-) 8-)
8-) 8-)

Blake Acres fan club VIP
linmarnic
Club Player

Why not, its certainly possible. Need a bit of luck an we are certainly due for some.

Never give up
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

"End of an era"..27 posts and as negative as the name suggests...troll alert..considered one until proven otherwise !!! :x

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
kolla12

Leo.J wrote:Our clubs future rests on the health of two knees... and our new coach

Probably the best thing I've read on this whole forum. Most people are so negative about next year, we have great potential in our youth and hopefully we will pick up some decent players during trade week.

The hunger and desire is still there with the boys.

Level 1, Aisle 18 is where it's at.
Leo.J
SS Life Member

kolla12 wrote:Probably the best thing I've read on this whole forum. Most people are so negative about next year, we have great potential in our youth and hopefully we will pick up some decent players during trade week.

The hunger and desire is still there with the boys.
Agreed, I'd be very suprised if it's not.

Our guys would be really pissed off that they aren't playing this week.

I don't get all the doom and gloom...things aren't perfect but thats life.

It's not what happens to you that matters, its how you deal with it that counts imo.

We had our best player out for the year, and our captain was hobbled with a knee injury for most of the year.

Yeah sure if they don't come back from these injuries we are in trouble, but so would most clubs.

If Roo and Lenny do come back to play a genuine role next year, they'll drag a few with them.

Then all we need is 2 or so young guys to come in a play a part and we'll be in the mix again... provided the coach we get doesn't try to build Rome in a day.

IMO we can't afford for this to happen atm.

We have the list to have another tilt until the draft is uncompromised again.

As I said originally this depends on 2 knees and a coach.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

we probably need to find a couple of good players from our existing list. West coast and hawks are both better for a couple of players coming from nowhere. we probably need realsitically a back up forward and ruckman on the list also.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:we probably need to find a couple of good players from our existing list. West coast and hawks are both better for a couple of players coming from nowhere. we probably need realsitically a back up forward and ruckman on the list also.
Where does this ruckman thing come from. Surely Ben was in our best 6 players this year.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:we probably need to find a couple of good players from our existing list. West coast and hawks are both better for a couple of players coming from nowhere. we probably need realsitically a back up forward and ruckman on the list also.
West Coast did have some players come from no where, but realistically it's been Kerr and Cox's return that has been their biggest improvement.

And these two have drag a few with them.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:
West Coast did have some players come from no where, but realistically it's been Kerr and Cox's return that has been their biggest improvement.

The difference is WCE, when a good side, have a home ground advantage which really helps their win loss ratio. We dont have that even if we improve next year.

MadDogMuir

It's all about kicking skill

It should be obvious to anyone that mentally, the Saints are as strong as any team going around. However, the game plan has had to evolve around existing deficiencies. We have players who simply cannot kick with any semblance of accuracy and if they do, it goes twenty miles in the air. Moving the ball quickly and to quality forwards also depends on kicking skills. Goddard has them, as does Dal Santo, as does Hayes. I think Kositzke has it as well, but he's normaliy way too slow in decision making. Believe it or not, Dawson also has it. Milne generally has it, as does Schneider. As for the rest of the team, they are deficient. We have had plenty of instances (apart from Riewoldt) where scoreboard pressure didn't eventuate because people couldn't kick goals. They were goals that should have been kicked. In recruiting new players, we need to ensure that they can kick a ball. Siposs can kick, which is a plus. The younger guys, need to work out big time in the gym and strengthen their lower bodies. Too many of them go to ground. You need players who can stay on their feet.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Leo.J wrote:

The difference is WCE, when a good side, have a home ground advantage which really helps their win loss ratio. We dont have that even if we improve next year.
True that...

Roo and Lenny + 2 kids stepping up is enough imo ... if we get a coach that can adapt our list quick enough.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Leo.J wrote:

True that...

Roo and Lenny + 2 kids stepping up is enough imo ... if we get a coach that can adapt our list quick enough.
I am unsure any of our first year players from this year will again have any real impact so it will need to be a second or third year player.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Gringo wrote " a back up forward and ruckman "
I agree. We need a back up ruckman. We lost three last year, Patterson, King, and McGrath, and did not pick any up. Ben is the only ruckman on our list now that Gardiner has retired.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Dont compare us with Geelong, they are a completely different side to us. A much better side. I admire your optimism but it just aint going to happen. If you accept the fact we are in rebuilding then it wont hurt as much when the season starts. That got me through the year this year. Knowing we stand no chance, obviously i was disapointed but nothing i didnt expect.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Geelong has managed to pass us because they have kept recruiting and developing youth - and didn't waste picks in the same way that RL did.

RL was a dumb short term coach... which is a coach of the very worst kind.

the results are plain to see now,

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Leo.J
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Leo.J wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Leo.J wrote:

True that...

I am unsure any of our first year players from this year will again have any real impact so it will need to be a second or third year player.
I'm optimistic about Ledger and Siposs.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Leo.J wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Leo.J wrote:

True that...

I'm optimistic about Ledger and Siposs.
Yes they may become good players but I doubt many over 50 picks have ever had any real impact in their second season so I doubt these 2 will either. That doesnt mean they wont play but to have an impact you have to be consistantly in the top 10 on the ground. Cannot see that happening next year.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

clarky449 wrote:Dont compare us with Geelong, they are a completely different side to us. A much better side. I admire your optimism but it just aint going to happen. If you accept the fact we are in rebuilding then it wont hurt as much when the season starts. That got me through the year this year. Knowing we stand no chance, obviously i was disapointed but nothing i didnt expect.
I'm not necessarily comparing us with Geelong, just using them as an example of a club losing it coach and it's best player and then being able to rebound with an older list.

They didn't get Ablett back, Lenny and Roo are still with us, hopefully they are fit...

...otherwise get ready for a rebuild.

Richter
SS Life Member

Yep. Agreed. If Lenny and Roo can come back fit, strong and playing well, then I think that we can also see improvement in most of the rest of our players.

Incremental improvement is what it is all about....

IMO Milne , Dal and Chips are the only 3 for whom this year can't be bettered.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Our core group of players (provided they are fit and well) are as good as anyone's. What the new coach needs to do is drop some fringe dwellers and players with less than acceptable skills and bring some youth into the side.

The kids can keep swapping with each other during the year with the better young guns getting more games. Thus, the core group are still hard at it and the young guys are getting an ED U CATION.

We still have a few more years with our core group and should definitely be looking at winning the flag each year for the next 2-3 years.

That glass is half full people. Don't you worry about that!

Then we can stick it up the traitor(s).

:D :D :D

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Where does this ruckman thing come from. Surely Ben was in our best 6 players this year.
I know players never get injured but what happens if Mc Evoy goes down with a knee in round one. Blake may not be there, Kosi would have to play injury free which would be murphy's law. Archer may get delisted according to some, at least Tommy will get a game.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: It's all about kicking skill

MadDogMuir wrote:It should be obvious to anyone that mentally, the Saints are as strong as any team going around. However, the game plan has had to evolve around existing deficiencies. We have players who simply cannot kick with any semblance of accuracy and if they do, it goes twenty miles in the air. Moving the ball quickly and to quality forwards also depends on kicking skills. Goddard has them, as does Dal Santo, as does Hayes. I think Kositzke has it as well, but he's normaliy way too slow in decision making. Believe it or not, Dawson also has it. Milne generally has it, as does Schneider. As for the rest of the team, they are deficient. We have had plenty of instances (apart from Riewoldt) where scoreboard pressure didn't eventuate because people couldn't kick goals. They were goals that should have been kicked. In recruiting new players, we need to ensure that they can kick a ball. Siposs can kick, which is a plus. The younger guys, need to work out big time in the gym and strengthen their lower bodies. Too many of them go to ground. You need players who can stay on their feet.
I disagree to a point, we became a poor kicking team after we changed to a more play on style of footy. The speed of the game makes the vulnerable players like the running backs and mids look messy under pressure, it can be practiced out to some degree, but some just don't catch up. Roo runs to much to then get back cooly and slot a goal, he labours too much. His ideal for me is as a centre half forward that can take the longer less pressured kicks and set up the next in line.