What Players Will Benefit Now?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

What Players Will Benefit Now?

I've been trying to work out who will be happy in the players camp.

My six below...

Armo - played in position (centre)
Walsh - heaven forbid may get a game
Simpkin - stick him in the backline and let him grow
Smith & Winmar - more of a crack
Lynch - may prefer back role

Obviously the three amigos in Siposs, Ledger, Cripps were always going to get a go anyhow.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
St Lenny
Club Player

I dont see the point in sticking with Lynch, I dont think hes got it. And Nick Heyne should go also.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Lukey Ball………… oh wait sorry

Hopefully Stanley gets more development

I'd like to see Gears get a decent string of games together, so we can know one way or another…

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Walsh is an obvious one.

People keep saying he won't go home due to the dire economic state that Ireland is in.

However that depends if you're earning an AFL senior wage or an AFL Rookie wage.

Must be frustrating for him to see a genuine finals contender in Carlton prepared to play their less experienced Irishman!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Walsh is an obvious one.

People keep saying he won't go home due to the dire economic state that Ireland is in.

However that depends if you're earning an AFL senior wage or an AFL Rookie wage.

Must be frustrating for him to see a genuine finals contender in Carlton prepared to play their less experienced Irishman!
They had 2, that Tuohy kicked a great goal, looked the goods…

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Cahill, Johnson?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

The ones that play at St Kilda.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Walsh is an obvious one.

people suggesting he would struggle financially at home forget that there's employment opportunities galore if you're a gaelic star. maybe not in the order of a visy contract, but certainly better than a rookie contract.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

anyone under the age of 24 will now have a chance at playing with the saints whereas previous they were no chance.

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Any chance that the 'retired' people (e.g. Eddy) might be re-picked, or re-rookied?

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
Ross who?
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:anyone under the age of 24 will now have a chance at playing with the saints whereas previous they were no chance.
THIS

Blake Acres fan club VIP
bob__71
Club Player

markinUSA wrote:Any chance that the 'retired' people (e.g. Eddy) might be re-picked, or re-rookied?
I dont think they are retired just because Ross says they are retired.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

The happiest players no doubt will be the ones that leave St kilda and go onto play in a premiership at another club!

I just hope they include a thank you to Footy First in their premiership medal winning acceptance speeches!

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

barks .. can't you see that RL has done more harm than good ?
We've wasted years under him with recycled players + Lovett etc,, .. and missed out on youth.
If he's going to go after recycled players can't it be someone of the calibre of Burgoyne or Ball at least?

He coached our team when it was at its peak .. and now left us with a mess - we've been leapfrogged by teams that have recruited and developed their youth.

RL has now shut our window for years - by missing out on kids.

We now have our salary cap maxed out by recycled players - how are we going to develop our kids and recruit youth when he's tied our hands behind our backs ?

Hopefully we'll have enough money to sign up Cripps, Ledger etc..and Stanley, Walsh should they make it... but have the recycled players maxed our cap out ?

Good riddance to a bad coach !

fingers
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:The happiest players no doubt will be the ones that leave St kilda and go onto play in a premiership at another club!

I just hope they include a thank you to Footy First in their premiership medal winning acceptance speeches!
Do you ever have anything good to say?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:barks .. can't you see that RL has done more harm than good ?
We've wasted years under him with recycled players + Lovett etc,, .. and missed out on youth.
If he's going to go after recycled players can't it be someone of the calibre of Burgoyne or Ball at least?

He coached our team when it was at its peak .. and now left us with a mess - we've been leapfrogged by teams that have recruited and developed their youth.

We now have our salary cap maxed out by recycled players - how are we going to develop our kids and recruit youth when he's tied our hands behind our backs ?

Hopefully we'll have enough money to sign up Cripps, Ledger etc..and Stanley, Walsh should they make it... but have the recycled players maxed our cap out ?

A bad coach. Yep that makes sense. Got us to 2 GF's when will footy knowledge said the list didnt deserve to get that far. Yes he coached for the now but when you have aging champion players you have to pretty much coach for the now. These same people who dont rate his coaching still seem upset he left or even how he left. They should be happy however he left. Me thinks they are just saying he wasnt a great coach so than can feel better. Its amazing how you can trick your brain sometimes.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

A bad coach. Yep that makes sense. Got us to 2 GF's when will footy knowledge said the list didnt deserve to get that far. Yes he coached for the now but when you have aging champion players you have to pretty much coach for the now. These same people who dont rate his coaching still seem upset he left or even how he left. They should be happy however he left. Me thinks they are just saying he wasnt a great coach so than can feel better. Its amazing how you can trick your brain sometimes.
So are you happy or sad that he left?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Cahill, Johnson?
I was definitely impressed with Johnson against Collingwood in the VFL - thought he really showed ability and pace.

Generous Lyon gave him half a game this year from memory.

So I reckon he'll be on the lift for sure.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I have said all along I couldnt give a stuff. His record is great for our club but i dont think he was the type of coach that wanted to rebuild. Only a guess on that. RL wasnt on our radar before we got him and he turned out great for the club and i am hoping the next one will as well. The difference will be that this one must be prepared to rebuild the club because our champs are getting any younger and the up and coming players we have will never be as good as our stars as a few on them are once in a generation players. By the way that isnt knocking RL for not winning a flag with those players in the list because our depth just never quite matched the pies or Geelong and even then we were very unlucky to lose both.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I have said all along I couldnt give a stuff. His record is great for our club but i dont think he was the type of coach that wanted to rebuild. Only a guess on that. RL wasnt on our radar before we got him and he turned out great for the club and i am hoping the next one will as well. The difference will be that this one must be prepared to rebuild the club because our champs are getting any younger and the up and coming players we have will never be as good as our stars as a few on them are once in a generation players. By the way that isnt knocking RL for not winning a flag with those players in the list because our depth just never quite matched the pies or Geelong and even then we were very unlucky to lose both.
We lost a great match day coach.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:We lost a great match day coach.
You know...I'm not sure we did. In the end he seemed to take too long to react and make positional changes, then blame errors at the selection table.

I do agree he was an excellent coach though, and quite obviously one who wasn't keen on a rebuild. As a person though...good riddance to bad rubbish.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
You know...I'm not sure we did. In the end he seemed to take too long to react and make positional changes, then blame errors at the selection table.

I do agree he was an excellent coach though, and quite obviously one who wasn't keen on a rebuild. As a person though...good riddance to bad rubbish.
A 63% win ratio and the ability to change games from the box tells me he was a very good match day coach.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
degruch wrote:

A 63% win ratio and the ability to change games from the box tells me he was a very good match day coach.
Yeah, too simple to look at a braod stat from the last 5 years...his last 6 weeks was not great. Carlton, Collingwood and Sydney games in particular, he was slow as a wet week...I missed the others, and the North game we won due to some brilliant individual performances from players RL admitted he does not try to 'coach'.

Blaming the selection panel for taking 2 quarters to address Ryan O'Keefe running amok...ran out of tricks, or just didn't care any more?

Ross who?
Club Player

millarsaint wrote:
SainterK wrote:Cahill, Johnson?
I was definitely impressed with Johnson against Collingwood in the VFL - thought he really showed ability and pace.

Generous Lyon gave him half a game this year from memory.

So I reckon he'll be on the lift for sure.
Got KO'd vs Crows that's why he only played a half.
IMO he has something to offer long term. Kicked a few for Sandy this year.

Blake Acres fan club VIP
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Players make coaches - he had our list at its peak - GT didn't have our list at its peak... and I'm not saying GT was a better coach - just that he had a much younger list that was not yet at its peak.

I'm not crediting RL with anything... he could have at least given us a Pyrrhic victory (a flag) before leaving us with his recycled players (some who have retired)... and his mess.
We could have had another 6 good young player potentially - kept Ball and recruited Burgoyne maybe (instead of half a dozen or so battlers form other clubs - some who have failed or retired plus let's not forget Lovett).

He was one of our worst coaches ever... and we will have lingering problems due to his incompetence.
Last edited by samoht on Tue 20 Sep 2011 4:01pm, edited 1 time in total.