Go against the trend

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Go against the trend

Thats how you get ahead....dont follow.

Examples
Following gameplan trends.....leaves you behind.....but creating them....
Picking athletes in the draft and they must be 188cm
Then
Picking footballers again....can be under 178

Picking VFL or other stateleague players on the draft

Overseas camps, community camps

Leadership groups.....

It normally happens if one club succeeds, every other club goes to the well for a drink....whilst the trendsetter gets further ahead....

latest trend......untried coach

My thought.....buck the trend...
Go for experience

Why do we rate lyon.........because he got us to two grandfinals

If i said there were up to half a dozen older coaches not coaching in 2012 who have made it to the big dance....a few have won it.......NOT coaching in 2012

Four coaches i can think of have
58, 55, 54, 53 percent winning percentages......for 150 or more games...

Some of their records are better than first thought

Then there is a couple of vfl coaches
Fitzgerald 6 grand finals in 13 seasons
Gotch, german, ayers

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Williams.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Williams.....

His record is pretty awesome....at a pathetic club, i mean really...look at them without him.....a basket case....

No supporters, no facilities......no spirit

3 minor premierships, 1 premiership, 1 runner up..

58% winning percentage

linmarnic
Club Player

I like Williams, has presence and a personality. Something the club is sorely lacking. Good footy coach too, record speaks for itself.

Never give up
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

With the right assistants as a counter balance I'd be all for choco.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Interview more than just choco.....

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

What will Choco say after he coaches us to a flag?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Faulky
Club Player

What will Choco say after he coaches us to a flag?

I would love to see him lift the tie and say "Ross Lyon - You were Wrong"!!!

FOUNDATION Social Club Member!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I have warmed to a Williams/Hinkley double act...even if coin may be an issue.

I at first thought Ken may be a bit underdone, but he comes out of a terrific system at GC (well run development club), has studied St K, Cats, Pies almost exclusively for two years, has form as coach at lower level, is a no bulls*** kind of guy.

Choco is tough, has charisma and smarts and (as mentioned above) his record at a crap club is pretty solid.

Together they offer a balance between old school grit and new generation intelligence.

Just thoughts...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:I have warmed to a Williams/Hinkley double act...even if coin may be an issue.

I at first thought Ken may be a bit underdone, but he comes out of a terrific system at GC (well run development club), has studied St K, Cats, Pies almost exclusively for two years, has form as coach at lower level, is a no bulls*** kind of guy.

Choco is tough, has charisma and smarts and (as mentioned above) his record at a crap club is pretty solid.

Together they offer a balance between old school grit and new generation intelligence.

Just thoughts...
Does that means Choco coaches because we arent going to get him as an assistant.

Faulky
Club Player

I would be very happy with Chocco as our coach as I think he has freshened up again and with his knowledge and experience of the game plus his support crew of possibly Hinkley / Harvey / King & Watters with Pelchin overseeing the trades would see the Saints build a team and game style that could take us to the big dance again.

I also think that some of our younger players are not too bad which our new coach can start building the team around. Siposs will be a gun in the forward line, Lynch will also play a part. Ledger, Smith and Cripps will be great support with Steven as our next mids coming through and Walsh could play Full Back and Simpkin could take a major role also in the defence allowing Dawson to move to a possible 3rd or 4th rated defender. Stanley needs to pull the finger out if he wants to be part of this team. These players will compliment our older brigade and hopefully, just hopefully the likes of Goddard etc stay around to give it another shake.

FOUNDATION Social Club Member!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

If you ask Port fans, he played the same core group of players, never the kids.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Against the trend… then Gary Ayres is your man…
Matty Knights?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I believe in that as a rule. Lyon is that at freo, might just be a master stroke but more often than not those things backfire. He didn't get a significant update on a past gameplan. He just played on quicker which exposed our less gifted kickers. Choco is showing less winning percentage than Ross but ross was given a finals team from the start with no hard work to do. His whole career seems to point to an impatient man and a gifted run with timing. He did no real development and went for quick fix patch ups. He walks into Freo with a built up list.

Big John

Winning % of Port Adelaide was probably lower b/c fewer games in Adelaide. Place Choco in Melbourne with fewer interstate trips and he may have had a higher winning %.