Lack of angst

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

HXT

Lack of angst

Sorry for being so indulgent to discuss a topic which we are all probably tired of reading aboout.

I think Ross made a decision which most of us would have made if we were professional career coaches: Significantly more money apparently, a seemingly more "switched on " board who desperately wanted him, greater opportunities outside football in a booming state vs a an apparently uncertain board with tight budget constraints.

It would have been better for me however if Ross at least showed some public angst about leaving. If Freo had sacked Harvey and Lyon had let us know he was being headhunted and then made a decision to leave after a week of "angst" - it would have been a much better PR for him and supporters may have also been more undertanding.

He would then have the recognition that he deserved.

Certainly for me ,the last 5 years have been enjoyable. It has been good to be relavant in football discusions with my mates and in the media.

I and my family will be renewing our membership and holding on for dear life for what's ahead.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

So did
Ball, everitt, lockett, hall, smith, etc.......

And they all went onwards and upwards....

Why do
1. Leave stk
2. Improve when they go

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:So did

Why do
1. Leave stk
2. Improve when they go
They may improve as people but not many of them were actually better footballers when they left. Maybe you just improve as a person through age.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Why do
1. Leave stk
2. Improve when they go
Everitt.... Lockett.

Not in my opinion. They didn't get any worse, but they didn't get any better either.

Hall was always going to get better as was Smith - both were coming into their prime.

Ball - he did get better and is really the only example you can use.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:

Why do
1. Leave stk
2. Improve when they go
Everitt.... Lockett.

Not in my opinion. They didn't get any worse, but they didn't get any better either.

Hall was always going to get better as was Smith - both were coming into their prime.

Ball - he did get better and is really the only example you can use.
Even Ball won a B&F at the Saints. His last 2 years are an improvement on his previous 2 but when he was fit he was a very good player for us.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Lockett improved in these areas

Consistency, discipline, team focus, atttude......why could he not achieve

How many times was he suspended at sydney???

He left at 28......surely he had matured a bit...

I think it had a lot more to do with our culture at the time, he was allowed to run his own ship at stk and was tnerefore allowed to be undisciplined....he conformed to become part of a team in Sydney because he ran into a character big enough to tell him to....

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

the angst he and Freo are recieveing is not actually about the decision it is about the manner---- and the duplicity...

IFf he had told the saints any time in the last 6 months that he was thinking of going..... would they have either ensured a contract was settled or worked out an exit strategy......

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Rosco
Club Player

Re: Lack of angst

HXT wrote:It would have been better for me however if Ross at least showed some public angst about leaving. If Freo had sacked Harvey and Lyon had let us know he was being headhunted and then made a decision to leave after a week of "angst" - it would have been a much better PR for him and supporters may have also been more undertanding.
better PR but:
- if he signs ahead of that week "angst" then he is an even greater liar, and if that comes out then PR is worse
- if he doesn't sign, maybe freo don't sack harvey (given it looks like a "ross was a better option" situation)

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Laughable

Lockett played his best football clearly at Stkilda. Was still very good at Sydney, but from 87-94 he was literally unstoppable.

Everitt- is that a joke?

Hall-As someone said,coming into his prime after he left

Ball- As plugger said,better than last two years at saints,but nowehere near the 04-05 player he was

Smith- He was a kid for christs sake

Ridiculous post

Bring back the Lockett era