A blast from the past...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bowey Boy
Club Player

A blast from the past...

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
busso mick
Club Player

I love these quotes from GT

"The main reasons I wanted him were that I think he's got great character, great integrity.

The thing that came through was his absolute selflessness."

Good character reference there Grant. Great minds think alike, or is it fools seldom differ.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

busso mick wrote:I love these quotes from GT

"The main reasons I wanted him were that I think he's got great character, great integrity.

Good character reference there Grant. Great minds think alike, or is it fools seldom differ.
Well i reckon many on here have said the same as little as three days ago so I dont think we can blame someone saying that 5 years ago.

busso mick
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

Well i reckon many on here have said the same as little as three days ago so I dont think we can blame someone saying that 5 years ago.
Too true plugger, me included as I was certain he would be a 10 years coach at the Saints. It appears that he had everyone fooled.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't sure which of the many Ross Lyon threads to post this on, and didn't want to start another one. So here goes.

In the last few days there's been sensible posts and there's been silly posts.  

There's been analytical posts and there's been emotional posts.

There's been posts about the AFL being a business and posts about loyalty.

Well I really don't care about anyone needing to explain their feelings either way.

In simple terms, before Thursday night I really, really liked Ross Lyon. Since Thursday night, I really, really don't.

And I don't need to justify that to anyone. 8-)

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:Wasn't sure which of the many Ross Lyon threads to post this on, and didn't want to start another one. So here goes.

Well I really don't care about anyone needing to explain their feelings either way.

In simple terms, before Thursday night I really, really liked Ross Lyon. Since Thursday night, I really, really don't.

:shock: :shock: :shock: but wheres the fun in that for rest of us :wink: :wink:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

It took until October 10 to appoint Lying in 2006, after GT was sacked early September, ie about 5 weeks.

Wonder if it will take that long again?

Were there any other clubs coach less in the end of 06?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

He conned everyone ... even GT. Good going Ross

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:Wasn't sure which of the many Ross Lyon threads to post this on, and didn't want to start another one. So here goes.

:shock: :shock: :shock: but wheres the fun in that for rest of us :wink: :wink:

You want fun fella :D

"There will be no role players under a team I lead'

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps Lyon changed a bit as he got more successful and cocky.

I must say, I was quite unimpressed from the start with his public pronouncements: a lot of weasel words and convoluted sentences to avoid getting to any particular point to which he could be pinned down.

And a tendency to blame everyone else, especially the players, when things went wrong. Even after the loss to the Swans the other night, he didn't say "I got it wrong" re CJ and Dempster, but "the coaching staff got it wrong".

I've always seen him as slippery and clever with words and always having to be right. He'd fit in well with many of the dickheads I have worked with in government.

But he was a good coach and he got results. I still admire him for that.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Another blast from the past

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 5807140404

"The possibility for this list is to be a great team," Lyon said.

"My role is to ensure we pursue excellence on a daily basis to give us our best chance of achieving this goal."

"I feel extremely privileged to be coaching at St Kilda and consider it an honour to be presented with the opportunity to lead the club as senior coach for at least another three seasons" he said.

Not quite Ross :roll:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Oh and if sounds familiar, that's because it is.

"It's about possibility. You can be what you want to be and that's my whole philosophy," he said. "Once you decide what you want to be you've got to bring that to life every moment of the day. You've got to pursue excellence so you're either getting closer to your goal or getting further away.

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-news/ ... z1YAGTla00

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:"Once you decide what you want to be you've got to bring that to life every moment of the day........"
I suppose it depends on what it is that you want.

Ro$$ clearly wanted a bigger bank balance, and he's achieved it!

Seriously though, although I wish every possible professional failure imaginable, I think it's great for us.

And I also don't really mind the fact that he left for money anyway. Really, when you hire coaches these days they don't have any emotional connection to the club. It is a job, and as Ro$$ said in his presser yesterday right at the start....with what's been going on over the past couple of weeks with coaches, as a coach you've got to look after yourself.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
SainterK wrote:"Once you decide what you want to be you've got to bring that to life every moment of the day........"

Seriously though, although I wish every possible professional failure imaginable, I think it's great for us.

And I also don't really mind the fact that he left for money anyway. Really, when you hire coaches these days they don't have any emotional connection to the club. It is a job, and as Ro$$ said in his presser yesterday right at the start....with what's been going on over the past couple of weeks with coaches, as a coach you've got to look after yourself.
Nah, he wants to be a senior coach, not fussed where, who, how.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

Nah, he wants to be a senior coach, not fussed where, who, how.
But he was.

And according to him, he was offered an 'unconditional' 4 year deal on Wednesday. And according to him and the CEO at Freo, he didn't agree to go there until Thursday.

So he could have been a 'career coach' at the Saints. But it appears the bucks were the difference.

Either that, or that he doesn't think the Saints can win a flag under him (or maybe even without him) and that as a 'career coach' he has a better chance with Freo.

Maybe a bit of both.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

If you believe him.

I don't reckon he had any intention of staying, as his market value would of dwindled.

He has a good young list at his disposal, he may end up in a better place for his 'career coaching prospects' at the end of his term there.

I'm growing more alarmed at what he saw in his crystal ball for the Saints.

Need someone in with fresh idea's, and a bit of self belief in their ability to do something constructive at St Kilda.

St Lenny
Club Player

SainterK wrote:If you believe him.

I don't reckon he had any intention of staying, as his market value would of dwindled.

He has a good young list at his disposal, he may end up in a better place for his 'career coaching prospects' at the end of his term there.

I'm growing more alarmed at what he saw in his crystal ball for the Saints.

Need someone in with fresh idea's, and a bit of self belief in their ability to do something constructive at St Kilda.
Spot on Sainter K. Our past 2 coaches have not been good at developing the kids. They both bought in rejects from other clubs. GT didnt even have any rookies and how have the rookies done under Ro$$, nothing. This is why we have no one coming through. Its a weakness, less hope we can get someone who is strong in this area.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote: GT didnt even have any rookies and how have the rookies done under Ro$$, nothing.
we couldn't afford Rookies up untill the last couple of years to have a rookie you needed to pay for them yourselves
now they are part of the team list and funds provided/secured by AFL
I remember stories of Bulldogs and Kangaroos getting 'wealthy' or substantial backers to put in the funds for them to get 1 or 2.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Perhaps Lyon changed a bit as he got more successful and cocky.

I must say, I was quite unimpressed from the start with his public pronouncements: a lot of weasel words and convoluted sentences to avoid getting to any particular point to which he could be pinned down.

And a tendency to blame everyone else, especially the players, when things went wrong. Even after the loss to the Swans the other night, he didn't say "I got it wrong" re CJ and Dempster, but "the coaching staff got it wrong".

I've always seen him as slippery and clever with words and always having to be right. He'd fit in well with many of the dickheads I have worked with in government.

I've only been here (SS ff) for a week, and I'm beginning to sort out the posters who know their stuff, from the timewasters. Thanks meher for another beauty.

I've got a feeling that he'll go down the path of other coaches who have come close, but just couldn't quite find the 'pazzazz' or motivational skills or coaching flair to beat the opposition on the grande stage. Garry Ayres comes to mind straight away, and then I think of another un-inspiring bloke who just left the AFL senior ranks in coaching - Neil Craig. And let me personally say; I 'certainly' think Ross's "convoluted sentences to avoid getting to any particular point" were as boring as Craigy ever was!!

Lyon will be remembered as another unsuccesful AFL/VFL coach when his career is over. I noticed in the presser he's adopted the term; 'career coach' in his vocabulary as if this is what he has done for ten years or whatever, or as if he has much of a say in whether he'll ever get to the end of his current contract with Freo, or if he'll ever go on after that with them, or if he'll ever be appointed by some other AFL team.

How many blokes get to pick up a ready made team - a team handed to them - that everyone agrees is on the verge, and it happens TWICE. I mean really, it takes a couple of years before you see a change like this produce finals success and there's no guarantee. Just to gain the respect and trust (s*** -there's that word Chips used recently) of the players at Freo will take all of next year at least. The senior blokes may also find it hard to adapt quickly to his game plan, but I think they may just get on with job.

With the younger guys, I'm not so sure. Some of the younger stars in their team, the blokes that were nurtured and gained confidence under Harves may not be able to bond with Lyon and he might bore the s*** out of them. Does Ross Lyon know how to motivate and get the best out of young players? Has he proved he can teach young players and turn good prospects into great players? I think not.

Anyhow, chewy on ya boot Ross.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Scallop said in part :
With the younger guys, I'm not so sure. Some of the younger stars in their team, the blokes that were nurtured and gained confidence under Harves may not be able to bond with Lyon and he might bore the s*** out of them. Does Ross Lyon know how to motivate and get the best out of young players? Has he proved he can teach young players and turn good prospects into great players? I think not.

It has been quite widely stated that most of the Saints young guys were "s*** scared" of Ross - now that's "nurturing" for you :!:

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Perhaps Lyon changed a bit as he got more successful and cocky.

Unlike a lot of the dickheads in government

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: A blast from the past...

thomas on lyon

"``The main reasons I wanted him were that I think he's got great character, great integrity.

``The thing that came through was his absolute selflessness.

``We had a motto at the footy club: You can achieve amazing things when nobody cares who gets the credit. He fits that motto.

``I remember both of us leaving our meeting excited. Basically, in the end, he's a very loyal person and he felt he needed to show his loyalty to his club and to Roosy.

``That personified his character and integrity.'' :oops: :oops: :oops: :twisted:

...you really f***ed up tthere with your assessment didn't you grant....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Any one want to buy some snake oil?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:Any one want to buy some snake oil?
You hardly seem bitter at all… moved on nicely.

I can only count 15 threads about Ross on our main page.

You look sadder with every bump.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Your opinion has been wrong before so what makes you think you've got it right this time.

My wife keeps asking me why I've been rubbing my cheeks.

I've been very sad since about the 10 minute mark of the last quarter on Saturday.