Leigh Matthews saints 2012....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Leigh Matthews saints 2012....

Panel just got asked on chanel 7 who has better list Freo or Saints.

Timid, Harlot unanimous that Lyin called it today and its Freo.......

Leigh Matthews says "for 2012 its gotta be st kilda......they get hayes back, Riewoldt fit firing they can easily be top 4...."

hes had somelove for us today has lethal......dont think he liked what lyin did tbh....

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Maybe he didn't like being quoted today to justify that kind of behaviour?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Maybe he didn't like being quoted today to justify that kind of behaviour?
Dunnobut Tim Watson looked at him in disbelief and said "you really mean that" to which Matthews then said "absolutely,they get hayes/riewoldt back etc..."

Shocked the panel and even old Brucey himed in with "you're in the minority here Leigh, dont think that bothers you..."

“Yeah….nah””
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

You'd take Lethal in a heartbeat.

He's only the greatest player/coach of all time.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

but no chance to EVER coach again :(

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Lethal does not like what Lyon did at all -

ROSS LYON may have had an escape clause in his agreement with St Kilda, but by walking out on the Saints, he has broken the moral contract he held with the club.

That's the view of AFL Legend and four-time premiership coach Leigh Matthews, who said on Friday he had difficulty understanding the turn of events on Thursday night that saw Lyon quit the Saints to become coach of Fremantle.
http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default ... medium=RSS

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

It's easy to say the Saints will slip down. Harder to say they won't, but Lethal is right. We get virtually our best player back, and our other best player will hopefully have recovered after the operation and longer rehab/pre-season.

Couple of decent trades, bring in a youngster or two, away we go. Not saying we'll win the flag, but I think we'll go ok.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Verdun66 wrote:We get virtually our best player back, and our other best player will hopefully have recovered after the operation and longer rehab/pre-season.
also, presuming the new bloke is not a moron, rooey won't be run into the ground every week and crunched by two or three opponents at every contest.

unlike the guy who made his career ... and his millions ... by hanging on to roo's coattail.

BushDave
Club Player

So what do you think Carl, they'll send some body guards on with him.

Harden the f*** up!

Never Give Up!
groupie1
Club Player

What about worry about finding the best, tactically astute coach there is, and a firebrand like Matthews as Director of Football; brings those kids in Siposs, Winmar, Cripps, Ledger, Walsh, get Ryder and some gun... talk all them to altitude training in Kenya... roid up where the AFL can't test em, and kick some arse next year.
Gee, Brad Scott (Geelong) is the guy we want.

Plenty of astute modern coaches around. Who've been assitants at Hawthorn lately?

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Weren't Geelong suppose to slip down and be lucky to make the 8 with an ageing list and new coach in 2011?

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Weren't Geelong suppose to slip down and be lucky to make the 8 with an ageing list and new coach in 2011?
Yep they havent slipped down but they havent gone up much either. We have to improve a lot to get into the top 4 and that is the only place you can win the flag from as I have said for 10 years. And will keep saying it again next year even if we finish outside the top 4 again.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Agree Plugger, top 4 the way the finals are now, is the only way.
Look one side may do it from the lower half one day, but they will need a lot to go right, like all the teams they play suffering bad injuries during the finals.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Yep they havent slipped down but they havent gone up much either.
:? :?

3rd to 2nd and they've beaten the defending premier twice

Not really much further for them to go I would have thought

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Yep they havent slipped down but they havent gone up much either.

No there isnt but there wasnt last year either. They were comfortably in the top 4 in both years. We are really no where near the top 4 this year so we have to improve alot more next year than they did this year. That was my point of that comment.

thefatdork
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
skeptic wrote:

No there isnt but there wasnt last year either. They were comfortably in the top 4 in both years. We are really no where near the top 4 this year so we have to improve alot more next year than they did this year. That was my point of that comment.
Hi Plugger
not been a posting member for long - but they went through a LOT of upheavel - losing their best player and premiership coach and changing president.
We CAN do much better - but need the coach to come in and instill some individual self-belief into the team. Lying Rossy got them to play to a formula, which was pretty successful, but didn't allowfor much individual decision making/chance-taking. I think that's part of the reason our skill levels were down and we struggled going forward.
I would love to have Lethal coaching if he had the desire - but if not, then we'll have to hope the process delivers the coach that we need to achieve.
All the best.
GO SAINTS??

PS - would love to tell Lying Rossy a thing or two about honesty and integrity. Great role modelling for his kids?? :roll:

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Does Leigh want to coach us next year?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
thefatdork
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:Does Leigh want to coach us next year?
No - I suspect he doesn't want to coach - but if he did, then would be great to have him.
Problem is who else is available. Lots of discussion on other posts about this, so won't start again here.

As always - GO SAINTS!!

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Love to see Harvs get the job with Leigh mentoring him for a year.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Leigh...Harvey...Osw...?

No, doesn't quite make you wonder yet, does it?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Weren't Geelong suppose to slip down and be lucky to make the 8 with an ageing list and new coach in 2011?
Youth is the key. Geelong found some talented youngsters and the coach was prepared to give them a go. Put yourself in the shoes of our young guys last year and the year before. I betya Ross didn't go up to them and say; 'Guess what? I'm going to give you a few games this year if you show great form in the magoos.' How would you feel in 2009 and 2010 being on the rookie list with St.Kilda when you know that the coach doesn't give young guys a go?

The youth at Geelong gives them speed and they provide spark and enthusiasm on field and also at the track and around the playing group, but also most importantly they add numbers to the list and they provide competition to some of the established players that got a game regardless of form...

The new coach at St Kilda has a template to follow

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
skeptic wrote:

We are going to have to improve by at least 5-10% to at least to get to 6th again.

Also, I think Lyon took Lethal out of context when he paraphrased him about leaving with dignity and I reckon that Leigh didn't like it. He shafted St Kilda so he had the choice to leave which ever way he wanted. It was St Kilda who had to respond with dignity, which it did to the annoyance of some here and in the media.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/le ... 6139811732
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

But in interviews as part of his media roles with the AFL website and Channel 7, Matthews said Lyon's move went against his entire belief system and argued Lyon had broken a moral contract with the Saints.

"It goes against my whole understanding of coaching because coaches are like the epicentre of the team interest. That's what you do. The team interest defines their job," Matthews said.

"It's a free world, everyone lives by their own codes and beliefs, but I just don't like the concept of a coach basically bailing out of one club to join another. It basically goes against my entire belief system."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107