$1.5m a year is a lot of money

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

$1.5m a year is a lot of money

Out of our League frankly, as hard as that is to admit. As Kerry Packer once said. 'Come on, we are all harlots - it is all a matter of price. How much do you fellows want?' I am in no way excusing Ross for his behaviour, so don't think I am.

But, having thought about it, I'm trying to get some perspective of it all. Being offered that sort of money, along with housing, relocation expenses etc etc would turn most heads. Would be very intoxicating, and flattering. And as we now know (and probably suspected all along) Ross Lyon has a big ego and all this would have appealed. Not to mention all the money at his disposal to get what he wants within the Football Dept. I remember RL saying he'd never been denied any resources in his time at the Saints, but he probably kept his requirements conservative. They in Perth will be telling him that nothing was off the table. In charge of his own train-set with almost unlimited funds....that sort of opportunity doesn't come along too often.

There is a lot of money in Perth, and some big backers and supporters of the Dockers. Having lived there, they think big. It may not end the way the Dockers want, and I hope it does end up badly. That place is quite different. Lots of big characters, big egos, and lots of money. I got headhunted to go there many years ago, and was suddenly on three times what I'd earnt in Sydney. It only lasted 3 years, and they moved to the next big thing. Set me up for a while though. It was very exciting, and I can sort of understand what Ross may have been thinking. But the pressure is enormous to perform, both on the coach, and the administration that supported him.

The Saints just don't have the money. We have to cut our cloth to suit our situation. That may be no bad thing, as a great spirit can develop in that environment.

I am really hopeful that we find a solution in this crisis, and our club retains it's spirit and identity. I wrote elsewhere that this is an opportunity for us. We should come out of this stronger, and I'll be supporting them all the way. Ross is gone, but life goes on. All the bagging of our club is pointless. Money can talk. And this was a lot of money!

Good riddance, and good luck to our next coach.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

It's not that he left, or that he left for big money...who wouldn't, honestly. It's the way he did it...the lying, the backstabbing, the denial, it's just breath-taking.

StGoddard18
Club Player

degruch wrote:It's not that he left, or that he left for big money...who wouldn't, honestly. It's the way he did it...the lying, the backstabbing, the denial, it's just breath-taking.
+1

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Money does strange things to people. Always has, always will. Greed I suppose.

MM would have plenty now you would think. Just likes doing it I think. Maybe he is our medium term man. Would be his final achievement...the crowning glory. To leave the Saints in good shape.

Think he would also like to prove Eddie wrong. Don't think we'd have to pay over the odds.

St Michele
Club Player

StGoddard18 wrote:
degruch wrote:It's not that he left, or that he left for big money...who wouldn't, honestly. It's the way he did it...the lying, the backstabbing, the denial, it's just breath-taking.
+1
+2 he will have a huge job to convince the Freo faithful they are bot happy either.

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
bergsone
SS Life Member

Unconditional,so he gets that every year if he does a s*** job or not?

saintly
Saintsational Legend

on one of the radio stations this afternoon i think 3aw they made mention of the efact that he went due to secutiry and money as lost millions in the lastcouple of years share i think they said.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:on one of the radio stations this afternoon i think 3aw they made mention of the efact that he went due to secutiry and money as lost millions in the lastcouple of years share i think they said.
The Caro interview. She brought up Pelchen, money and that old chestnut called culture as issues.

Ross can't blame the culture that he helped to create if that is the case.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:on one of the radio stations this afternoon i think 3aw they made mention of the efact that he went due to secutiry and money as lost millions in the lastcouple of years share i think they said.
No problem with his leaving if felt this was his only option, he has a family, his financial position may very well be dire.

It's the 'manner' of his leaving.

Had an opportunity today to say he was actually sorry the way he misled everyone, but he said he held his head high.

He also had a dig at the group for their performance v Swans, when he very clearly said he was poor that particular evening with his coaching, assigning roles, and selection.

Great coach, can't muddy that fact, but I can certainly see why Harvey mentioned his coldness in 2009.

desperate saint
Club Player

Ross Lyin is a career Coach stated by himself,I understand that and am willing to accept that he is earning a kings ransom,I also know to win the ultimate prize in the AFL you need a buy in of PASSION from both the playing group and the coach. I will make a big call here the mercenary career coach Ross Lyin will NEVER win an AFL premiership never

Desperate Saint
Moods
Saintsational Legend

I will make a call and state that the Dockers will win a flag within 3 years. They have a younger, better list than ours. they just need exactly what Ross is about to give them.

To be honest, whilst I don't agree with what Ross did, I reckon we have let the club right off the hook with all this. Why the hell wasn't he signed up good and tight mid way through the year. We were hedging our bets and lost. We put a STUPID clause in the contract allowing him to walk at his own discretion. That clause is only handy if WE wanted to sack him and not pay him out. Was dumb, and in time we need to acknowledge that. Ross obviously wanted to stay and was annoyed the club wouldn't re-sign him or extend the contract. To be honest I don't blame him. He had done an amazing job with our team the last 4 years, and we tried to outsmart ourselves. We lost.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:I will make a call and state that the Dockers will win a flag within 3 years. They have a younger, better list than ours. they just need exactly what Ross is about to give them.

To be honest, whilst I don't agree with what Ross did, I reckon we have let the club right off the hook with all this. Why the hell wasn't he signed up good and tight mid way through the year. We were hedging our bets and lost. We put a STUPID clause in the contract allowing him to walk at his own discretion. That clause is only handy if WE wanted to sack him and not pay him out. Was dumb, and in time we need to acknowledge that. Ross obviously wanted to stay and was annoyed the club wouldn't re-sign him or extend the contract. To be honest I don't blame him. He had done an amazing job with our team the last 4 years, and we tried to outsmart ourselves. We lost.
Maybe thay should have signed him up beforehand but how were the saints doing half way during the season? He had 18 months to go on his contcats at that time.

The clause was put in before the 2009 season and before he was considerd a coaching genius.

Lets see how it all works out with Ross and us.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
lennyeverywhere
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
Moods wrote:I will make a call and state that the Dockers will win a flag within 3 years. They have a younger, better list than ours. they just need exactly what Ross is about to give them.

Maybe thay should have signed him up beforehand but how were the saints doing half way during the season? He had 18 months to go on his contcats at that time.

The clause was put in before the 2009 season and before he was considerd a coaching genius.

Lets see how it all works out with Ross and us.
Lets look at our actions here.

St Kilda is totally at fault here. Dockers got their man in 72 hours and we took 6 months and couldn't get it done.

Never let you best assets get out of contract. Silly Silly Silly

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Meh.

What's this "I asked for 4 years, and it took them 6 months to get it done' business.

He is only the senior coach, no offence.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Last post....
Lets look at our actions here.

''St Kilda is totally at fault here. Dockers got their man in 72 hours and we took 6 months and couldn't get it done.

Never let you best assets get out of contract. Silly Silly Silly''

[/quote]

Not if the contract is totally one-sided. What had he done to justify a 5 year unconditional contract? That would have been suicide by the club. And if they hadn't put in some conditions about performance etc, when he was hopeless after a couple of years with 3 years to go on his contract everyone would have screamed the place down.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

In Ross we trust, eh?

I'm with the club and admin on this.