Now I've Calmed Down...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Now I've Calmed Down...

I believe both parties have played a part in this.

The club appointing Pelchin would pi$$ any senior coach off, as head of football.

It's a back handed way of saying we don't trust you to handle things on your own, so anything you do needs to be put to this guy first.

So if you are Ross after having your ego and trust with the club being bruised a $5 million + offer would be hard for anyone to knock back.

That said Ross has always come across as a man of his word, and maybe he is, but from an outsiders point of view he appears to have traded his word for the $.

He had a contract he should have seen it out... he has set a precedent fro his new club.

Yet Ross leaves behind a captain, who my sources tells me turned down an offer for double the money he is on to go to the Gold Coast.

Lets hope the rest follow suit.

They'll stay if they belive they can still pinch a flag... which I think they can... look at the Cats this year.

Anyway now on to the new coach.

3 scenarios.

1. Tried and proven - eg Malthouse.

2. Rookie with assistant experience - eg Leigh Tudor.

3. Or the Essendon messiah model - eg Robert Harvey + a director of Coaching eg. Eade, Laidley, or Ayres.

Option 1 and 3 if option 1 involves Malthouse, will be more fruitful for memberships.

Option 2, in recent years is the model that appears to be more succesful for on field success.

However, a new game plan can sometimes take a season to adapt to unless you go like Chris Scott and don't have a major rebuild over night.

I'm not sure which I like or which way I think they'll go... time will tell.

And lastly our club has - I hope - learned alot over the past 2 years.

And hopefully as a result we are far more media savvy, and attempt to use the media like the bigger clubs do instead of taking the RL approach of cloak and dagger.

Be very careful who you recruit... that is all on that.

A positive attacking game style can = memberships, not necessarily success.

And as a playing group - we know how hard you have to work to get to the big dance, but that is not enough.

And sometimes what you are doing in your own time privately can have an effect on you, the club and your mates, short term and long term.

On field we have finished 7th, off field we probably finished nearly last.

That is all.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Leo.J, you make some points that have also been on my mind.

Something must have gone terribly wrong between Ross and the Club. It may come out, as surely Ross will want to justify his decision with his key players, at some point in time.

For me. Malthouse is not a good fit for either party.

I also can't see a good fit with any of the "available" coaches. I think that a younger "development" coach will suit us, perhaps supported by a senior mentor (Essendon model).

The next month or so will be very interesting.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I agree - the Pelchen factor was significant and would have upset his "top dog" mentality.

But from the Board/Mgt perspective - our lack of players under 25 would have been ringing alarm bells. They could see RL was not planning for the future so they had to do something to remedy that. they could not sit idly by. So I can see why they went for Pelchen.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

I spend most of my working days with boards - they don't make appointments like Pelchens for no reason.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Junction Oval wrote:Leo.J, you make some points that have also been on my mind.

Something must have gone terribly wrong between Ross and the Club. It may come out, as surely Ross will want to justify his decision with his key players, at some point in time.

For me. Malthouse is not a good fit for either party.

I also can't see a good fit with any of the "available" coaches. I think that a younger "development" coach will suit us, perhaps supported by a senior mentor (Essendon model).

The next month or so will be very interesting.
It will be very interesting indeed...

I didn't think I'd be back on here until next year... but now I'm far more excited about the unknown than I was about the season ahead.

Call me a romantic but I just can't get the Harvey with a director of coaching out of my mind.

While he's not the best coach right now neither was Hird, but like Hird he could surround himself with experience and learn on the Job.

That Said he's had assistant experience at 2 clubs...

And like Hird our membership would go through the roof.

And again like Hird he'd have the players respect, and the clubs respect.

Couldn't see him jumping ship for money, and if he was no good, while it would be harder (only on an emotional level) to sack him there would be no rash decisions because he's a club legend.

Unless he's totally hopeless, it could give us an opportunity to get some $ in the bank through membership, and sponsorship (Harves is pretty marketable) and get the stabilty the club needs, because I would assume he wouldn't be going anywhere unless pushed.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Ross leaving just added the cherry to the top of the 2011 cake for me. What a terrible tasting cake it must be... probably carob or something crappy like that!

Anyway... Sanderson would be on the top of my wishlist, followed by Tudor. Plenty of great coaches floating about. Today is a new day, best to look forwards not back... I still think we can be a great side next year... all is not lost just yet.

In regards to membership PLEASE no one jump off the ship... The club needs us to stick fat next year more than ever... maintain your memberships people.... Everyone bailing would be the worst thing to happen to the club and give the media something else to be negative about. It's a great way to make a statement to the footy community that we'll ALWAYS be with the club and lets be honest... this is a mere speed bump in the history of the St.Kilda footy club! We've survived it all.

Ross was a good coach but there's no point having people in your club that don't want to be there. It's a blessing in disguise. There's plenty of other talent in the football community.... plenty! Carn Saints!

mullet
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:I spend most of my working days with boards - they don't make appointments like Pelchens for no reason.
Craig Kelly said this morning that they were putting the finishing touches on the deal with Ross and St Kilda and mentioned list management. So I guess Ross wanted something in the contract about his list management duties.

Ross may have been pissed about the appointment of pelchen, but no more pissed than the club about him wanting Andrew Lovett.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Maybe RL was too much of a control freak

matrix
Saintsational Legend

after seeing that presser im about where i was last night at about 5pm

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:after seeing that presser im about where i was last night at about 5pm
Hindley St?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah
looking for you

:roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:yeah
looking for you

:roll:
It was a joke. Have a laugh occasionly. Its good for you.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

it was a joke
really?

wow youre funny
how the f*** im supposed to know it was a joke

usually people use an emoticon to state their mindset
maybe if you used them we all wouldnt think you are a pratt most of the time

:P

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I agree - the Pelchen factor was significant and would have upset his "top dog" mentality.

But from the Board/Mgt perspective - our lack of players under 25 would have been ringing alarm bells. They could see RL was not planning for the future so they had to do something to remedy that. they could not sit idly by. So I can see why they went for Pelchen.
There's conflicting reports on the Pelchen appoitment. It has also been reported that RL had a big say in his hiring and that he gave it the thumbs up.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Leo.J
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote:Maybe RL was too much of a control freak
Could be true..

As could the club didn't want a coach with too much control, like someone else we know.

Royston
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I agree - the Pelchen factor was significant and would have upset his "top dog" mentality.

There's conflicting reports on the Pelchen appoitment. It has also been reported that RL had a big say in his hiring and that he gave it the thumbs up.
My impression was that RL gave it a tick - wasn't he spotted having coffee with him or was that another made up BS post?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Royston wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

My impression was that RL gave it a tick - wasn't he spotted having coffee with him or was that another made up BS post?
I wouldn't have a clue what happened but it doesn't mean much. I have coffee with people at work who I don't always agree with.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Now I've calmed down...

I realise Ross is a smooth operator / salesman, last week he was selling Holdens, this week he is selling Fords.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Pelchen was the boards safeguard against Lyon becoming another GT

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

prwilkinson wrote:Ross leaving just added the cherry to the top of the 2011 cake for me. What a terrible tasting cake it must be... probably carob or something crappy like that!

Anyway... Sanderson would be on the top of my wishlist, followed by Tudor. Plenty of great coaches floating about. Today is a new day, best to look forwards not back... I still think we can be a great side next year... all is not lost just yet.

In regards to membership PLEASE no one jump off the ship... The club needs us to stick fat next year more than ever... maintain your memberships people.... Everyone bailing would be the worst thing to happen to the club and give the media something else to be negative about. It's a great way to make a statement to the footy community that we'll ALWAYS be with the club and lets be honest... this is a mere speed bump in the history of the St.Kilda footy club! We've survived it all.

Ross was a good coach but there's no point having people in your club that don't want to be there. It's a blessing in disguise. There's plenty of other talent in the football community.... plenty! Carn Saints!

Good positive post. Couldnt agree more