Saints to march in at MCG next year - article

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintlee
Club Player

Saints to march in at MCG next year - article

Sorry if this has been posted already but I couldn't see it. Personally, Iwould love to see us change to an MCG tenant...

"The Saints have reacted by requesting the AFL to schedule all home games next year at the MCG following another dismal year of match returns from their home venue at Etihad Stadium."

link: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 6130045706

Solar
Saintsational Legend

would be very happy with this, as long as we have a social club room and decient seating arrangements

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Greg Denham has said it so no merit in the story...... :roll:

Superboot
SS Life Member

Nettlefold said that on average, stadium returns at Etihad for games that attract crowds between 40,000 and 50,000 were about half the value of games played in front of similar attendances at the MCG.
So it costs more to stage a game at a smaller stadium? Hardly likely.

Sounds like there is some sort of rip-off happening in the clubs' deals with Etihad.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Very surprised to hear we don't have a contract at Etihad.....

Surely we should be shopping ourselves around to sign up at a venue, with an attractive deal.

I would love to see St Kilda as a tenant club of the MCG. It would certainly make AFL membership a much more attractive option.

saintlee
Club Player

St Chris wrote:Very surprised to hear we don't have a contract at Etihad.....

Surely we should be shopping ourselves around to sign up at a venue, with an attractive deal.

I would love to see St Kilda as a tenant club of the MCG. It would certainly make AFL membership a much more attractive option.
Its interesting we haven't had a contract at Etihad since 2008...that suggests we can't get a decent deal...

My understanding was that in the past the MCG hasn't wanted us as a tenant...lets hope our recent success and relative popularity might increase the MCG's interest in us....I think it would be fantastic to be a MCG tenant...thats got to be an advantage come finals.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Reserved seat allocation at MCG costs $0
Reserved seat allocation for 13000 reserved seat members at Etihad costs approx. $900k

Source - Nettlefold on SEN

dragit
Saintsational Legend

It's pretty s*** that we can't go and organise a stadium deal with another venue because we are completely tied by the AFL's stinky contracts…

While 'one' club gets allocated 19 games at the MCG, we aren't allowed to move our home ground because the AFL won't let us?

Top set-up, good way to help the struggling clubs out, make them play at a venue where they lose a couple of of million dollars a year - thank you Andrew.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I blame those fwits Demetriou and Collo.

We are screwed with nowhere other than interstate relocation or a move to Geelong for some of our low drawing games.

I reckon the club should see what sort of deal we can get to play a couple of games Vs say GC and GWS at unSkilled Stadium.

The reserved seating cost fiasco is a joke if It costs us 900K a year to appease members.

It also stinks that the $74 I paid for this week's final goes all to the AFL and Etihad and none to our club.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Our problem is that Melbourne and Richmond still get to play most of their games at the MCG, presumably because of contracts. They should be playing more at Docklands, particularly against interstate teams. Then again, the interstate teams would complain about the lack of MCG games. There are two components to "grounds" - the actual playing area and the amount of money to be made from the venue. On the first which affects the players, the only perfect solution is to standardise the size of every ground. That can't be done overnight, but even when new grounds have been constructed or or old ones reconstructed, that opportunity has been lost. On the second, which affects the club bottom line, given the Docklands contract, the issue is unlikely to be resolved until the AFL takes ownership, and that is still a few decades off.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Wow. I'm stunned. This will hurt us on-field in the short-term but would be a great move long term.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

The inequity of the AFL is getting beyond a joke. When we moved to the Etihad, we were classed as one of the poorer clubs. Is it a coincidence that most of the poorer clubs are at Etihad and are paying for the purchase of this ground in the 10+ years to their own financial detriment? Most of the clubs (except for us and Essendon) have all had to go to the AFL for a handout, a top 4 club included (Carlton). Yet Eddy and Kennett have the nerve to whinge about clubs putting out their hands for money?

Our club has seen sustained success and has a membership base up there with the 'power clubs' of the AFL, we have appeared in 3 consecutive grand finals and 4 consecutive finals series and we still cannot make a profit because we are being robbed blind by the pitiful deal at Etihad (which make no mistake, we have no control over - we are at the mercy of the AFL).

Yet Collingwood do not have to travel anywhere near as much as any other team in the AFL, play most of their games at the MCG and continue to make money hand over fist. It is about time they travel as much as the rest of the teams. They claim they have a massive supporter base all over Australia, so why not spread the love and give some of the interstate teams the big crowds at away stadiums?

The fact that we have not had to go to the AFL with cap-in-hand asking for money is due to the incredible financial management of the club and our loyal supporters. Membership is crucial and it is a credit to our supporters that we stick with this wonderful club through thick and thin and continue to do so. I urge those that do/do not have memberships to resign for next year no matter the outcome of this finals series.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
mordi
Club Player

dont complain, we have a theatre experience.... :wink:

What's the Point of it All?
I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

Stay at Etihad!

I love those 'routine' thrashings we inflict on clubs there.

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

This is disgraceful - how can this happen?

This is disgraceful - how can this happen?

Demetriou and the AFL have made some major improvements to the games facilities but why does it have to be at the expense of the clubs who can least afford it.

But the question is how do the clubs have this corrected? It is obvious that the richer clubs still pull the strings within the AFL and revenue is everything to Demetriou. You only have to look at this years Top 4 - all 4 clubs would be in the top echlon of weathier clubs in the league.

The AFL have been a dictatorship with the clubs not having enough influence on there own financial futures.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
saintlee
Club Player

Another article on this over at The Age...includes comments from Nettlefold this morning....

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 1jv1x.html

degruch
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if this is a broadside...the mere threat of us going would give Collo heart pulpertations, surely? I can't see everyone stampeding over to the MCG as a long term solution. Besides, we have been subject to these conditions for many years, but it raises it's head as an issue when we make a loss. Perhaps we need to sell a few home games whilst we're rebuilding. :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:I wonder if this is a broadside...the mere threat of us going would give Collo heart pulpertations, surely? I can't see everyone stampeding over to the MCG as a long term solution. Besides, we have been subject to these conditions for many years, but it raises it's head as an issue when we make a loss. Perhaps we need to sell a few home games whilst we're rebuilding. :wink:
Of course it is a threat. Our home ground next year will be Etihad. Firstly for some reason our supporters dont go to the G and secondly we dont have a contract with the G and will not get one as the AFL have to play so many games at both grounds. We may get a couple more at the G but not 6-8 home games as they would want. If we are such a big club as some people here think then we should be strong enough to organise a good contract. The pies, Blues, Hawthorn, Geelong and the Dons would all have good contracts at both grounds. Either we are a minnow or are a weak club.

Ice Wolf
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:I wonder if this is a broadside...the mere threat of us going would give Collo heart pulpertations, surely? I can't see everyone stampeding over to the MCG as a long term solution. Besides, we have been subject to these conditions for many years, but it raises it's head as an issue when we make a loss. Perhaps we need to sell a few home games whilst we're rebuilding. :wink:
Of course it is a threat. Our home ground next year will be Etihad. Firstly for some reason our supporters dont go to the G and secondly we dont have a contract with the G and will not get one as the AFL have to play so many games at both grounds. We may get a couple more at the G but not 6-8 home games as they would want. If we are such a big club as some people here think then we should be strong enough to organise a good contract. The pies, Blues, Hawthorn, Geelong and the Dons would all have good contracts at both grounds. Either we are a minnow or are a weak club.
Our Supporters dont go to the MCG because they don't go to away games, nothing to do with the MCG.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Ice Wolf wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Our Supporters dont go to the MCG because they don't go to away games, nothing to do with the MCG.
We had 2 homes there this year and the crowds were ordinary IMO.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
I think we have been a weak club, you can't be a bottom feeder and turn around to make demands 5 years later, just because you've had some finals appearances. Essendon, on the other hand, would have been the star recruit to Docklands...the club that made the deal worth it.

Seems the club has recognised it's time to attempt to flex some muscle by putting it out there. It would reap some reward, only if the MCG bites. Since we were forced to sell our soul to the devil years ago, we have little bargaining power either way, so there's probably little chance of that.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Ice Wolf wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
41,465 & 39,539 isn't too bad

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

The reason none of the clubs have any power is because the AFL rule with an iron fist. Collingwood get what they want, in regards to the amount of home games they play and where they play, because it SUITS the AFL and they benefit financially, not for any other reason and to think otherwise is ridiculous.

I agree, we won't leave Etihad because the AFL won't allow it. Has nothing to do with our size or profitability. It is because we are one of the few clubs that pulls reasonable crowds AND can pay the shortfall when there is one without having to go to the AFL with our cap-in-hand. That is a testament to the strength and management of our club.

The reason for not negotiating a new contract? Perhaps we are not prepared to be contractually committed to the ground whilst they still want to screw us over financially. At least we have the option of leaving as it stands (even if the AFL won't allow it). Why would you sign a contract and cement yourselves to a stadium where you don't benefit financially? The numbers just don't add up at the moment and you keep your options open until they do sway in your favour. You do not sign a new contract until that happens.

In regards to supporters not turning up to the G, I believe this is more because it is an away game. Supporters don't tend to turn up to as many away games as they do home games. I believe the numbers would be very different if the G was our home ground.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
have you seen their contracts?
What are their deals?

Ice Wolf
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Ice Wolf wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
41,465 vs Richmond
39,539 vs Geelong

Both better than we would have got at Etihad.

MCG has its problems but if we were to play a significant amount of games there im sure that they could be rectified.

I'd prefer if our reserve seats were in the Olympic or Ponsford stands at the G instead of the Southern and that they fixed the siren so that you can actually hear it in the Souther Stand.