More chance than plain history shows

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

More chance than plain history shows

What makes it so that you almost must finish top 4 to be any real chance?
After this weekend coming when two of the top 4 get a break all the other 6 teams basically are in the same boat apart from the benefit of playing at home. That’s more relevant if we are talking about travelling Interstate but this year they are mainly local teams apart from West Coast.

IMO one of the main factors that have always made it so difficult for the bottom 4 teams in the final 8 is the gap of how good they are. There is usually a big gap between them but the promising thing for us is we are not in the bottom 4 because of that reason.

Our terrible start cost us almost the first half of the season. If you go by the second half we are definitely in the standard of the top 4 and probably would be there or at least closer than the other 3.

If we beat the Swans next weekend we only need to win 2 more to go into the GF like most of the others and based on the last 12 games I truly believe we’re a fair shot.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Funny post.

Only have to win two more after the Swans.

Dreaming.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

You have to dream to achieve. Sorry for showing some positivity. Yes we might fall out of the finals at any point but why the rush of voices trying to hose down any enthusiasm. I hope they have more fight than the whiny bitches ready to put the cue in the rack early.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:You have to dream to achieve. Sorry for showing some positivity. Yes we might fall out of the finals at any point but why the rush of voices trying to hose down any enthusiasm. I hope they have more fight than the whiny bitches ready to put the cue in the rack early.
Sorry i see only one post about it and it is far from whiny. Its great you are positive but surely others can also have their opinion.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Well , they keep impressing me , fwtw ... and may it long continue.

Toasters to beat the maggots this week , which will complicate matters though

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:Funny post.

Dreaming.
What? I can understand and thought the same 6 or 8 weeks ago but are you telling me you believe currently now looking at the big picture we cant give this a shake?

The only 2 teams that IMO are undoubtably better than us are Geelong and Collingwood. But that doesn't mean on the day anything can't happen like in the first GF last year and why.

Because they all have trouble with our game!!!!

The better clubs with good structures love going toe to toe with their game plan. When they meet us our game breaks their game plan and structure down till they go from playing like a machine at first looking like we're going to get smashed to a rabble by 3 quarter time (when it comes off anyway). We all know that.

So if we can beat Sydney at home which we all know is very realistic and down to the last six are we still no hope at all and the window completely shut?

I'm not overly confident of winning the Grand Final but I certainly think we can go very close to playing off in it.

And If you think that's dreaming you must have been asleep yourself since round 9.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Dreaming.
Agree or not but why bother going to the effort of shooting down someone whose cup is half full?

Miserable s***.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:

Dreaming.
Agree or not but why bother going to the effort of shooting down someone whose cup is half full?

Miserable s***.
I don't want people in tears if we fail in week 2 which is the
Most likely outcome.

My dream is for us to make the Prelims this year, which is a longshot but just possible.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Thinline wrote:

Dreaming.

Miserable s***.
Most likely outcome.

My dream is for us to make the Prelims this year, which is a longshot but just possible.
You don't seem to care for another's 'dream' so why not piss off somewhere quiet with your uninspired version?

I mean seriously...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
Thinline wrote:

Dreaming.

Miserable s***.
Most likely outcome.

You don't seem to care for another's 'dream' so why not piss off somewhere quiet with your uninspired version?

I mean seriously...
Because I'm glass Half Realistic.

FWIW it pisses me off that people think a finals berth is an automatic chance of a flag.......it is in theory, but that is all for the bottom 4 of the 8.

Finna
Club Player

Re: More chance than plain history shows

Winmar7Fan wrote:What makes it so that you almost must finish top 4 to be any real chance?
After this weekend coming when two of the top 4 get a break all the other 6 teams basically are in the same boat apart from the benefit of playing at home. That’s more relevant if we are talking about travelling Interstate but this year they are mainly local teams apart from West Coast.

IMO one of the main factors that have always made it so difficult for the bottom 4 teams in the final 8 is the gap of how good they are. There is usually a big gap between them but the promising thing for us is we are not in the bottom 4 because of that reason.

Our terrible start cost us almost the first half of the season. If you go by the second half we are definitely in the standard of the top 4 and probably would be there or at least closer than the other 3.

If we beat the Swans next weekend we only need to win 2 more to go into the GF like most of the others and based on the last 12 games I truly believe we’re a fair shot.
Agree. Have been thinking the same myself.

We have shown in the last 12 months that we can match it with all of the teams who we are likely to meet in the next month.

If we are on our game we are very hard to score against. This always gives us a chance. We have the players, the coach and the game plan and this team has proven time and again that it can get on a streak and win many games in a row. It can be done!

We've finished 1st, 3rd and 4th in our last 3 campaigns and that didn't help. Apparently you have to finish in there to be a chance........ It would be fitting for us to win from 6th - very St. Kilda.

I'm with you W7F - Dare to Dream......

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
Alfie Hewsdale
Club Player

results against likely opponents

elim final vs Sydney

Lost by 15 pts (gastro game - no Kosi, no Zac, Big Mac and others throwing up all week) No resaon we can't win this at Etihad

Semi Final vs Hawthorn

Lost by 5 goals after being 5 up at quarter time.
This was in round 8 and we are playing better now. We will need to be at our best to win this.

Prelim vs Collingwood

Lost by 10 goals in Rd 11 and 3 goals in Rd 21.

GF vs Geelong

Lost by 1 Point Rd 1
Lost by 5 goals Rd 13

That is one pretty hard road to a premiership.
If we win it we will certainly have earned it.

linz
Club Player

If we don't do it we'll die hard trying.

The players, the coach, the administration and staff have been so brave to get us where we are given the obvious difficulties and under the microscopic pressure we've been under this year.

I am so incredibly proud of our achievements thus far.
I really believe Lyon is one of us. He talks of the supporters and players as one.

I reckon Ross is such a headstrong determined bugger that he wants to get the job done. Give him an open ended contract. Sign him up for as long as it takes for the job to be done. He will do it.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

I doubt, historically, many teams finishing from 5-8 have finished the season as well as we have this year, and we're still on the improve. IMO, that makes us a unique chance to be the first to snatch it from 6th...but I may have egg on my face this time next week. However, you can throw your history books out...most 'contenders' 5-8 have limped into contention over the season, not been dead for the first half, then blasted their way in, having played GF's in the previous 2 seasons.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

prelim would be a great effort.

Hawthorn in 3rd have 6 more wins than us for a reason....our skill level is below a Cats/Pies we'd need them to be off and us to lift well above what we showed against Carlton

“Yeah….nah””
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

We have beaten teams above us twice only this season.
To win the flag we have to beat one top eight team, and then three teams above us in successive weeks.

Nothing is impossible but we have next to no chance.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:We have beaten teams above us twice only this season.
To win the flag we have to beat one top eight team, and then three teams above us in successive weeks.

They should invite you into the rooms to give the rev up before the game Saturday night :wink:

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Forgetting losses R1 against Geelong (1pt), and losing a game we controlled against them the second meeting (shades of GF '09), pumping Hawthorn, then throwing the towel in at half time, losing to Carlton by 3pts, losing to the Pies by 19pts recently...we're hardly out of the picture. In most cases, we were horribly down on form and confidence, but still managed to make more than a go of it.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

I'm not sure if I remember correctly but in 05 did the Swans lose their first game resulting in them having to play all the way and winning?

Not saying the situation is the same as us but they showed taking the long road can be done if that was right.

I also think Collingwood isn't quite as dominant as last year either.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I'd rather get it wrong calling for them to win than lose and sit back gloating that I said we were s*** on SS. No point in saying that we will lose if Gardy plays and then spend the next week telling everyone that your still right just a week out.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

At last, a sensible look at it!!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The firts half againts Carlton is a pretty good indication of where we sit against the teams above us. We will be very lucky to make a prelim and I'd be pretty happy with that. Anyway, this weeks game will be hard enough.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

When on earth was following a football team EVER about being 'realistic'?

Sport without hope is nothing.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

As unrealistic as it may be, we still need to treat this as our last real shot at a flag for awhile, I heard Joey saying that the pressure is off this year and that it's a bit of a free swing… that may be partly true but you'd hope they don't just expect to make top 4 next year, there could easily be 8 better sides than us next year…

Great effort to make it back from where we were, but now we need to throw absolutely everything at it… we know what it's all about, let's "roll up our sleeves and get to work"!

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

It's going to be an interesting weekend, 12-13 degrees and rain, and our game is the only one under a roof. 8-)

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."