who is the one making $$$$ from games at ANZ

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St.Walker
Club Player

who is the one making $$$$ from games at ANZ

Who is it Sydney or the AFL?

Sydney Olympic Park Authority should be shot wanting games that that place.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

To be honest, its a great ground to go and watch the footy at.

First of all, as soon as you get off the bus there are live bands etc, the whole area around the ground is blocked off to cars so heaps of walking space and activities going on outside before the game.

Second, the food. they have Maccas, Subway etc all outside the ground at normal cost, unlike at Etihad where the subway, nandos etc up the frice on game day.

Third, their PA system. i have never heard the saints song played so loud before. As they were running out you could hardly talk to the person next to you. it was great. although then came the downside 2 minutes later when the swans song was played.

The transport to/from is very good also. there is no such thing as a 'train delay' up there, or 'overcrowded'...they have footy specials, and unlike the melbourne footy specials where a train comes every 18 minutes instead of every 20, they have trains non stop.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

just a pity the ground was barely standard given another code played there Friday

and it's so far from the airport you need a bank transfer or Umpire assistance :wink:

and NO roof ----- ...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:just a pity the ground was barely standard given another code played there Friday

and it's so far from the airport you need a bank transfer or Umpire assistance :wink:

and NO roof ----- ...
or you can just share a cab with two others :D

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: who is the one making $$$$ from games at ANZ

St.Walker wrote:Who is it Sydney or the AFL?

The person who probably makes the most from games being played at ANZ Stadium would be the owner of the Stadium, AFL Chairman Mike Fitspatrick !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:To be honest, its a great ground to go and watch the footy at.
In my experiences there, I have found it quite dull and boring.
saintdooley wrote:First of all, as soon as you get off the bus there are live bands etc, the whole area around the ground is blocked off to cars so heaps of walking space and activities going on outside before the game.
That's because there are no cars out that way, there is no reason to be driving anywhere near it.
saintdooley wrote:Second, the food. they have Maccas, Subway etc all outside the ground at normal cost, unlike at Etihad where the subway, nandos etc up the frice on game day.
Food in Sydney at events is more often than not lower than Melbourne. This is due to the catering companies. If they were the same as we have here in Melbourne, they wouldn't be allowed to trade there.
saintdooley wrote:Third, their PA system. i have never heard the saints song played so loud before. As they were running out you could hardly talk to the person next to you. it was great. although then came the downside 2 minutes later when the swans song was played.
Not hard to hear much over the theater goers up there in Sydney.
saintdooley wrote:The transport to/from is very good also. there is no such thing as a 'train delay' up there, or 'overcrowded'...they have footy specials, and unlike the melbourne footy specials where a train comes every 18 minutes instead of every 20, they have trains non stop.
Transport, you have to use it. As you mentioned, you can't drive up to it (the carpark is a 10 min walk away) and it is so far out of the city train, ferry and other forms of transport are the only way there. It also costs a small fortune depending on what you take (water ferry can be free with an event ticket, but train is a rip off!)

You seem to have skipped the key element of the stadium though, it's disgraceful playing surface! It's like having a golden toilet which doesn't flush.

Give me the SCG any day.

They walk amongst us...

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:the carpark is a 10 min walk away
Obviously an intrepid lot, our SS posters. :? :?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Leo.J
SS Life Member

Re: who is the one making $$$$ from games at ANZ

Eastern wrote:
St.Walker wrote:Who is it Sydney or the AFL?

The person who probably makes the most from games being played at ANZ Stadium would be the owner of the Stadium, AFL Chairman Mike Fitspatrick !!
Ah what a suprise.

The AFL are begining to sound like the Bush administration with that sort of nepitism.

Ala Dick Cheney's Haliburton and the Iraqi oil and military contracts.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

$70 odd bucks a ticket is a bit rough though.... :evil:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote: Transport, you have to use it. As you mentioned, you can't drive up to it (the carpark is a 10 min walk away)
crap ..there is an 8 story carpark about 50 metres from the ground.....costs $20 bucks flat fee but so what.....

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
HSVKing wrote: Transport, you have to use it. As you mentioned, you can't drive up to it (the carpark is a 10 min walk away)
crap ..there is an 8 story carpark about 50 metres from the ground.....costs $20 bucks flat fee but so what.....
Must be well hidden stinger. My friend I once attended with is a Sydneysider and couldn't find anywhere to park within 10 mins of the ground.

Is it actually part of the hotels perhaps?

They walk amongst us...

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:
saintdooley wrote:To be honest, its a great ground to go and watch the footy at.
In my experiences there, I have found it quite dull and boring.

Well this is a fan forum, we can all express our opinions. and mine is it is great.
saintdooley wrote:First of all, as soon as you get off the bus there are live bands etc, the whole area around the ground is blocked off to cars so heaps of walking space and activities going on outside before the game.
That's because there are no cars out that way, there is no reason to be driving anywhere near it.

yes there is. there are many different car parks just near by. Your friend from Sydney might not know that area very well.
saintdooley wrote:Second, the food. they have Maccas, Subway etc all outside the ground at normal cost, unlike at Etihad where the subway, nandos etc up the frice on game day.
Food in Sydney at events is more often than not lower than Melbourne. This is due to the catering companies. If they were the same as we have here in Melbourne, they wouldn't be allowed to trade there.

well to be honest, i would rather go outside and grab maccas or subway at cost price than pay $5 for a handfull of cold chips.
saintdooley wrote:The transport to/from is very good also. there is no such thing as a 'train delay' up there, or 'overcrowded'...they have footy specials, and unlike the melbourne footy specials where a train comes every 18 minutes instead of every 20, they have trains non stop.
Transport, you have to use it. As you mentioned, you can't drive up to it (the carpark is a 10 min walk away) and it is so far out of the city train, ferry and other forms of transport are the only way there. It also costs a small fortune depending on what you take (water ferry can be free with an event ticket, but train is a rip off!)

How is the train a rip off when its free?

You seem to have skipped the key element of the stadium though, it's disgraceful playing surface! It's like having a golden toilet which doesn't flush.

i never said the surface was good, thats the only thing they need to fix up. We have to face the facts they are not going to move a rugby game because the AFL if playing there in 48 hours...thats just asking for trouble. They treat rugby like its some sort of religion up there, they would just laugh in our face.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:
stinger wrote:
Must be well hidden stinger. My friend I once attended with is a Sydneysider and couldn't find anywhere to park within 10 mins of the ground.

Is it actually part of the hotels perhaps?
no..?..do you know where subways is.....well it is at the other end of the ground to there..opposite entrance B i think ..only about 30 to 40 metres ...so metres max.....next door really.. ...and next door to one of the other venues....there is just concrete between the footy ground and the carpark...the third level is actually ground level with two levels underground....but you can't really hide a six story carpark.....

we parked on level 7 and there was roof parking above us....

http://www.anzstadium.com.au/Tours/VirtualTours.aspx

go to virtual tours ...outside view...it is the huge f****** multi story carpark next door...you can't really miss it....sorry..they are pavers...not concrete....

bozza1980
Club Player

Obviously the surface has to be the key concern and on Sunday it appeared to be horrifically bad.

But if we can put that to the side, I have to agree with posters who have posted positive things about the ground as a place to watch sport.

I've been up there to watch the Saints play twice and also for a couple of NRL GF's and other finals.

I've driven and caught public transport to the place and can't really fault either except for the fact it's not the worlds greatest drive. No problem with parking either.

The problem is ofcourse that you can't put the playing surface to one side, it is sub-standard, this said, Telstra Dome was sub-standard for years and the AFL did a very good impression of an ostrich, which I suggest is what they will be recreating again in response to ANZ Stadium.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.