Power Forward Options...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Power Forward Options...

There has been much debate recently about the need for another tall forward to compliment Riewoldt. I would argue that we really only need a genuine tall forward, merely to take a defender away from the double-team on Roo, and create a 2nd option going forward. Ideally, the player would have had a few years in the system, and may be looking for a move away. This player doesn't need to be a star (Riewoldt, Cloke, Kennedy), but merely a supporting type.

Here are some options that have been suggested, or that we've been linked with.

* Taylor Walker - not sure how true the rumours are about him wanting to move are, although GWS seems a likely destination. Would really like us to pursue this option though, he is born to kick goals

* Mitch Clark - heard several reports indicating our interest in Clark, and we'd be stupid not to look at him. With Gardiner poised to retire, we really need a forward-cum-ruckman to support both McEvoy and Roo. Would be my #1 target this off-season

These players are the top two (and will be the most expensive, particularly Clark)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cheaper options include:

* John Butcher - was quite a high draft pick at the rabble known as the Power, and has only broken through for his first game recently. Reports indicate that he is a very strong mark, but has questionable kicking. Who knows, maybe the second coming of Loewe?

* Setanta O'Hailpin - the Irishman showed in the first half of 2010 that he can be a solid contributor as a tall forward. Also has the ability to swing into the ruck or down back. Has fallen out of favour and could be picked up reasonably cheap

* Jake Carlisle - highly-rated junior who has come into the Bombers side as a defender recently. Injuries plagued the first part of his career. Depending on his status at Essendon, could be a value pick up.

* Mitch Brown (Gee) - The kid can play. Injuries have held him back for the first three seasons of his career. The Cats have held faith because they know his talent. Broke through for his first 2 games this year, slotting 3 on debut against Adelaide. Would be inclined to pick him up on the cheap, seeing as Hawkins has found form, and Vardy has overtaken the 2nd ruck mantle.

* Troy Taylor - Mercurial tall forward who can do just about anything. Still very young, and has all the talent in the world. Could provide a bit of x-factor for our forward line.

* Mitch Morton - Very talented player who suffers from a bit of laziness and arrogance. Played some very good football as a midfielder in the back-end of 2010, and has also topped the Tigers goalkicking in the past. Can turn a match on it's head with 3 goals in 5 minutes. Probably not what we're looking at, and won't be a popular pick amongst the SS lot, but I've always had time for him.

* Lewis Johnston - another highly rated junior who has struggled with injuries (initially) and then to break into the Swans line up. Drafted as a CHF, but has been trialled down back with some success in the NSW league. Best football is in front of him. The kid can take a strong contested mark, and has neat ground skills.

* Callum Wilson - This guy I don't know too much about. I noted he kicked some goals for the Eagles at the end of 2010 season, and has had some huge games in the WAFL. My uncle (an avid WAFL observer) reckons he has all the tools to be a 50-60 goal a season AFL player. Obviously finding it hard to a forward-line that includes Kennedy, Lynch, LeCras and Darling.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are your thoughts on the players above? Any you like? Don't like? Any other potential key forwards that we could realistically chase?

The Saints are coming!
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Fevalenko

#1 Ryder fan
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Jessie White from the Swans....

is he worth trying to get or is he a gop at best

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
saint tash
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:Jessie White from the Swans....

Mike Pyke????

Oh when the saints go charging in!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

saint tash wrote:

Mike Pyke????
Dumb Mole????

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saint tash wrote:

Mike Pyke????
Good one saint trash :roll:

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
bergsone
SS Life Member

Like the look of Butcher,good overhead,good size,kicking?

Plus we could use some fresh down forward :wink:

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Seemed to have a bit of talent, but doesn't show it all too consistently. Still he is physical, can take a big pack mark, and can play in the ruck. Not sure how much the Swans would want for him?

The Saints are coming!
Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

Chase Walker big time.

Kid is a star.

'Because we've got unfinished business'
....................Official Saintsational Banner Designer....................
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Power Forward Options...

True Blue Sainter wrote:
* Callum Wilson - This guy I don't know too much about. I noted he kicked some goals for the Eagles at the end of 2010 season, and has had some huge games in the WAFL. My uncle (an avid WAFL observer) reckons he has all the tools to be a 50-60 goal a season AFL player. Obviously finding it hard to a forward-line that includes Kennedy, Lynch, LeCras and Darling.
Really rate your knowledge if you're pulling out this bloke.

I agree 100% that he's someone we should look at.

I've only seen him play once or twice but from memory he is a very sizeable unit and can take a good contested grab. I remember his kicking for goal being a little suspect, although I might not be accurate there as it was a while ago.

Would definitely be worth getting over to our club as he would be absolutely dirt cheap and could do a more than servicable job if given the chance.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Re: Power Forward Options...

#1GILL wrote:
True Blue Sainter wrote:
Really rate your knowledge if you're pulling out this bloke.

I agree 100% that he's someone we should look at.

I've only seen him play once or twice but from memory he is a very sizeable unit and can take a good contested grab. I remember his kicking for goal being a little suspect, although I might not be accurate there as it was a while ago.

Would definitely be worth getting over to our club as he would be absolutely dirt cheap and could do a more than servicable job if given the chance.
Yeah he is a big lad, who can definitely clunk them - either on the lead or in a pack. He can roost it a long way, although it doesn't always go straight!! As you say, he is someone you would definitely have to consider when you weigh up the potential investment (not much) with the potential return (50 goal a year forward in a quality side).

Definitely worth a look, and still only about 22-23!

The Saints are coming!
Rosco
Club Player

callum wilson - his numbers from his few AFL games look solid. at 191cm & 94kg he sounds solid enough too. turned 23 in june 2011.

AFL Stats: http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/play ... ilson.html

WAFL Stats: http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/1111

FQF
SS Life Member

The question has to be asked what role we see for this forward.

Either he is simply a support for Roo, a buffer type player to demand a little bit of attention. Obviously it would be nice if he kicked a couple of goals a game, but his main purpose is to allow Riewoldt space and freedom.

The other option is for him to be a key target going forward and equal in his output to Riewoldt in terms of goal kicking and general importance to the team.

Ideally the second option is better, but that will obviously come at a price.

If we take option 1 then we would be targetting players like Jessie White, whereas if we went for option 2 then we need someone like Walker or Mitch Clarke.

We need to make this differentiation before discussing, all these options can't be grouped into one category.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

If we are getting a tall forward it must be someone with good defensive skills unless this forward is replacing Kosi. Could you imagine someone who couldnt chase being in the same forward line as Kosi with the way footy is played today. it just cannot work so before we look at any other attribute chasing has to be high up on the list.

doppler effect
Club Player

Moorabbin Saints wrote:Chase Walker big time.

Kid is a star.
Nah, he likes to go to the footy and have a beer with his mates. Should be crucified.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Jack darling......like others, we had our chance

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Jack darling......like others, we had our chance
You would have picked him for sure but when given a chance last year to tell us your picks we received

Yep you guessed it, nothing.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What Are you talking about??

Is it when you kept going on about who i think we should have picked after the draft....

And i replied

Not too sure, i havent looked too deeply into 2010 because i was busy???

I only knew of a handful of kids, of which jack darling was one....and that was because i rated him top ten from the previous year....and the others i only knew from the papers.....seen none of them play

So an informed comment, i could not make...

Btw.....just because you demand a list or response or whatever, doesnt mean i give a f***
i really dont put much creedence on what you post...so replying is not a huge priority, unless i am bored and need some amusement...
As i said, i was busy at the time

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Btw.....is it on your 'list'

Do you keep it on you all the time....like Earl

jays
Club Player

walker will be gun for sure

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:What Are you talking about??

Is it when you kept going on about who i think we should have picked after the draft....

And i replied

Not too sure, i havent looked too deeply into 2010 because i was busy???

I only knew of a handful of kids, of which jack darling was one....and that was because i rated him top ten from the previous year....and the others i only knew from the papers.....seen none of them play

So an informed comment, i could not make...

Btw.....just because you demand a list or response or whatever, doesnt mean i give a f***
i really dont put much creedence on what you post...so replying is not a huge priority, unless i am bored and need some amusement...
As i said, i was busy at the time
You must be bored alot or want some amusement because you seem to always reply unless of course it means making a decision that otherwise you could make in hindsight and then tell everyone the Saints missed that player and picked the wrong player. I still cant belive you said Cripps was a poor pick because there wasnt a photo of him. And you say you post to get a laugh. Well you are right they were laughing at you then. By the way why dont you ever quote what you are replying to. Surely then people could at least understand why you have posted what you have

shmic_s
Club Player

Whats to say Darling, moving away from family in WA to Vic, would've had the same impact at St Kilda?

I'm sure if we picked Darling over Cripps and he was running around for WC kicking 2 goals a game and 10 possies, people would be saying "why didn't we get Cripps. We need more goal kicking mid-fielders."

I think mid-fielders that can use the ball well should still be our priority.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:If we are getting a tall forward it must be someone with good defensive skills unless this forward is replacing Kosi. Could you imagine someone who couldnt chase being in the same forward line as Kosi with the way footy is played today. it just cannot work so before we look at any other attribute chasing has to be high up on the list.
I can. G Train in 2008 comes to mind....Was a waste in the first half of the year until we got our skates on.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
goodie
Club Player

My order of preference:

Clark - expensive financially and trade-wise, by far the best player though
Wilson - Also not too familiar with, what I've heard has been good though.
Carlisle - Still a bit of a project from what little I know. Not a short-term solution.
Butcher - Certainly not a cheaper option, but good potential. Potentially difficult trade, Port probably won't think our first rounder's enough and who wants to play for them?
Johnston - Similar to Butcher. We have a good relationship with the Swans, but don't see Longmire doing bargain basement deals with us.
White - Not as good a forward option as Johnston, lower ceiling, but has the potential to ruck part-time and would come cheaper.
Walker - Won't be traded cheap after Davis's defection, will probably ask a fair amount cash-wise for a relatively unproven player. New coach won't want to let him go. Interesting to see what GWS do about him now they've already taken a player from the Crows.
Taylor - Too many q's over work ethic, wouldn't be a solution.
Morton - No more a power forward than Gamble.
O'Hailpin - Nooooo. No. Much rather give our Irishman a crack.

What I would probably do? Chase a ruckman (Simpson - Geel, Clarke - Freo, McCauley - Bris, Pyke - Syd, Bellchambers - Ess, West - Geel, White - Syd) and park Big Ben in the goalsquare. Superb contested mark, good shot for goal. Not ideal to lose him around the ground, but personally I think he'd serve us better as a forward who pinch hits in the ruck than vice versa.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Chris Dawes? Out of contract at the Pies.

Bad management is bad management