Tarrant charge thrown out - WOW!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Tarrant charge thrown out - WOW!

Much more intent than Riewoldt, further off the ball, his feet left the ground…

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Yep but he missed the head. The bump isnt dead at all as long as you miss the head. It was a great bump and the only one in the whole ground who didnt see it coming was Kosi. Rooy was unlucky. Tarrent got the correct call. Have no idea why leaving the ground matters at all.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Correct decision when looked at in isolation of the action itself IMO...

Comparing it to other decisions will do nothing more than make your head explode...

The MRP is such a farce that when they get one right, it should be congratulated and applauded by all supporters... This is a disgrace, as it goes to show just how many they stuff up...

In that sense, Tarrent got lucky that he got a correct and fair penalty... Crazy, isn't it...?!...

gosaints
Club Player

Good. Was made to look alot worse than it was because Kosi didn't see it coming and because Kosi is so big he went down hard.

Would love to see a few of our players lay a sheppard like that.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

gosaints wrote:Good. Was made to look alot worse than it was because Kosi didn't see it coming and because Kosi is so big he went down hard.

Probably the right call in the end but laying a blindside bump like that, regardless of jumper colour, is and always will be the footballing equivalent of knifing a bloke in the back. It's gutless and cheap. Absolutely nothing big about it at all. I fail to see how so many people can applaud the sanctioned whacking of the unaware. Yeah, there's talk of Kosi being 'less' aware, but if any player could have seen Tarrant in similar circs I'd be truly amazed. Why does Tarrant have to flatten him? He could have all but impeded him enough by putting out an arm. All it takes in this game is for a bloke to get a split second break and they're miles off. Why does a 'good' shepherd have to entail flattening a bloke who didn't see it coming?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
gosaints wrote:Good. Was made to look alot worse than it was because Kosi didn't see it coming and because Kosi is so big he went down hard.

Probably the right call in the end but laying a blindside bump like that, regardless of jumper colour, is and always will be the footballing equivalent of knifing a bloke in the back. It's gutless and cheap. Absolutely nothing big about it at all. I fail to see how so many people can applaud the sanctioned whacking of the unaware. Yeah, there's talk of Kosi being 'less' aware, but if any player could have seen Tarrant in similar circs I'd be truly amazed. Why does Tarrant have to flatten him? He could have all but impeded him enough by putting out an arm. All it takes in this game is for a bloke to get a split second break and they're miles off. Why does a 'good' shepherd have to entail flattening a bloke who didn't see it coming?
I was 10 metres from the bump. It was legitimate and everyone at the ground could see it coming except Kosi. It was within 5 metres and Kosi was trying to catch the guy with the ball. Those sort of bumps are tried many times during a game by our side and the opposition. The difference is that 99% of players know they are coming and take action to avoid it. There was one late in the game that would have got Milney as well but like most players he saw it coming.

What confuses me is people whinge about the bump being dead but when it is laid legitimately we are still not happy. That was a great bump by Tarrent that should have been avoided by Kosi.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I just think it's roll of the dice, Kosi could have easily been knocked out by the force which he hit the ground (ala kosi on duncan).

Plugger, by launching of the ground it shows you have gathered significant momentum/force, compared to say Riewoldt who actually held is ground…

I thought Tarrant's shoulder did hit Kosi's head, he was very fortunate if it didn't… so if the exact same bump gives Kosi concussion how many weeks is that?

A purely injured-derived punishment is a little strange when you have filthy elbows behind play that don't actually cause injury?

Anyway we bang on about this every week… it's getting boring sorry for bringing it up…

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Thinline wrote:

I was 10 metres from the bump. It was legitimate and everyone at the ground could see it coming except Kosi. It was within 5 metres and Kosi was trying to catch the guy with the ball. Those sort of bumps are tried many times during a game by our side and the opposition. The difference is that 99% of players know they are coming and take action to avoid it. There was one late in the game that would have got Milney as well but like most players he saw it coming.

What confuses me is people whinge about the bump being dead but when it is laid legitimately we are still not happy. That was a great bump by Tarrent that should have been avoided by Kosi.
10 metres from the bump,, what are you the boundary ump?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Thinline wrote:

10 metres from the bump,, what are you the boundary ump?
Yes.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

No one wants to see guys injured and if Tarrant had broken Kosi's jaw it would have been weeks. They should either outlaw that kind of aggressive bump or put up with incidental contact to the head. The intent should not be judged on the outcome.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

One of very few correct decisions made by that insipid group of know it alls.

Shouldn't have even needed to be viewed again.

They walk amongst us...

goodie
Club Player

I hate Mooney, but how he got a week and Tarrant escaped punishment is beyond me

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

goodie wrote:I hate Mooney, but how he got a week and Tarrant escaped punishment is beyond me
Easy.

One was a bump directly to a players head, one was a legal shepherd.

They walk amongst us...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

The rule was changed after X Clarke was polaxed unexpectedly....in 2007....and nick maxwell felt the wrath of the tribunial as a result...6 weeks

The bump delivered to unexpecting players away from the ball of unreasonable force can be considered 'unduly rough conduct' or a charge....and can cause a player to be suspended.....there to stop players being picked off at contests.....like when hocking crunched harves....

But of course......if a player is absolutely smashed, and gets up.....no penalty
If the get hurt as a result of the incident......weeks

Kosi gets knocked out.....tarrant gets weeks

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Just watched both incidents for the first time.

Yeah, the Kosi one? Good shepherd, though the MRE would've HAD to give tarrant weeks if Kosi had been badly injured. They have set their ludicrous precedent and have to live by it now

Moomey was incredibly unlucky, even more than Roo the other week. He had no other option!! Johncock blundered into the situation and the conatct was all his own fault!!

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:Moomey was incredibly unlucky, even more than Roo the other week. He had no other option!! Johncock blundered into the situation and the conatct was all his own fault!!
Not exactly.

Mooney didn't have to turn to the side, and thrust forward into him. Mooney had ample time to make a decision, and made the wrong one. Bending down and trying to wrap the player up with his arms may result in a free kick, and no suspension (could also go against Johncock for ducking holding the ball, or a ball up).

Also, to those saying Tarrant should have been suspended, if it happened the other way around I bet you all would be saying there was nothing in it.

They walk amongst us...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

didn't miss the head at all.. and to actually say that kossi didn't hit the ground....!!! .ask kossi if you don't believe me...dog act by a real dog.....
Last edited by stinger on Mon 15 Aug 2011 11:30pm, edited 2 times in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:didn't miss the head at ll...ask kossi if you dodn't believe me...dog act by a real dog.....
C'mon mate. You've seen enough footy to know it's a full contact sport.

Initial contact was shoulder to shoulder, and his lack of awareness made it worse than it needed to be. He got straight up, get on with the game.

I'm not Kosi bashing what-so-ever, I just don't want to see this great game turn into touch footy.

They walk amongst us...

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Maybe I'm old school, but I grew up knowing that if you were chasing a bloke then keep your wits about you, b/c someone will pick you off. As long as the elbow isn't raised it's a great part of our game. Was a perfectly executed bump, Kosi got straight up, and the game went on. Should never have even been a free.

I hate seeing blokes getting injured as well, but we are playing a body contact sport FFS. The bump is a terrific part of our game if properly executed. Surely no sane, unbiased supporter, would hope that Tarrant would get weeks for that?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:didn't miss the head at ll...ask kossi if you dodn't believe me...dog act by a real dog.....
Are your eyes painted on? if it hit him in the head he wouldnt have got up. Probably say a bit about your knowledge of the game.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:
stevie wrote:Moomey was incredibly unlucky, even more than Roo the other week. He had no other option!! Johncock blundered into the situation and the conatct was all his own fault!!
Not exactly.

Mooney didn't have to turn to the side, and thrust forward into him. Mooney had ample time to make a decision, and made the wrong one. Bending down and trying to wrap the player up with his arms may result in a free kick, and no suspension (could also go against Johncock for ducking holding the ball, or a ball up).

Also, to those saying Tarrant should have been suspended, if it happened the other way around I bet you all would be saying there was nothing in it.
I must've been watching Jason Mooney perhaps. Johncock contributed to this 'bump' completely.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

From the Sun
"A St Kilda medical report said there was no contact to Justin Koschitzke’s head when Tarrant laid the bump in a shepherding action."

Tell me how a medical report can say whether or not contact has occurred?

Video footage might tell you whether contact was made, but a medical report can only say whether an injury has occurred, but not whether contact was made…

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:I must've been watching Jason Mooney perhaps. Johncock contributed to this 'bump' completely.
By trying to pick the ball up?

Is he meant to just leave it and not make a contest? Ridiculous argument.

Mooney is the one responsible with not making head high contact to the player over the ball, which he did not attempt.

They walk amongst us...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:From the Sun
"A St Kilda medical report said there was no contact to Justin Koschitzke’s head when Tarrant laid the bump in a shepherding action."

Video footage might tell you whether contact was made, but a medical report can only say whether an injury has occurred, but not whether contact was made…
Why couldnt it? Kosi may have something to the doctor. Isnt he allowed to talk to the doctor during the game?

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:From the Sun

Kosi would have been asked (it's basically a set of questions set out to the player. I have seen an AFL questionnaire having family in the sports medicine field).

They walk amongst us...