Sloane- Crows

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Sloane- Crows

Had a look at the Crows v Cats game and was more than impressed with Sloane from the Crows..the type of player I would love our recruiters to snaffle. anyway..back to work

shmic_s
Club Player

WANTED: Anyone who can kick a footy.

The best player aged 25 and under, that can use the ball efficiently.

Thats the only condition IMO for players that we look to bring to the club over the off-season.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Isn't Sloane's nickname 'Apple'?

As in Apple Turnover?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Isn't Sloane's nickname 'Apple'?

As in Apple Turnover?
You're mixing him up with Samuel Gilberto

To the top
SS Life Member

Perhaps some should lift their eyes and look at what is being presented to the likes of Gilbert, Gram and Clarke (and even Fisher) when they look to break lines and give rebound.

Koschitzke is not a natural forward (he is a utility player playing forward because of a lack of options on our list), Milne prefers to lean back on his opponent and attempt to use his body to position for marks (hence is found out by bigger body opponents who do not have to be quick to counter him - and if they are quick they present a real problem for us) and is not a leading forward because he relies on wiles not pace and Riewoldt is obviously playing injured and unable to put in the work rate on mutiple leads he once could plus is being at least double teamed because we always have one spare back (not that we are different to any other side here).

The analysis of Friday night is that we got within 19 points without a forward line, and relied on a competative (but not as flashy) mid-field and a very good effort from our defence - particularly Clarke who was given both talls and smalls and performed as he did.

McEvoy did well in the ruck and around the ground.

We have to fix our forward structure to improve.

Indicative of this was McEvoy marking 40 metres out from their goal, going backwards where we got locked in and the panic clearance kick landing with Jolly 40 metres out on an angle - and he goaled.

This is the type of play we must avoid.

Fisher also panicked, putting the disposal out on the full and a couple of times all of Gram, Gilbert and Clarke looked up to find nothing offering and found themselves nearly caught with the ball - and a couple of kicks smothered.

We have to work harder on creating the attacking option - and that starts with our forwards being threatening by finding space and actually presenting as realistic options.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Slone the crows.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Perhaps some should lift their eyes and look at what is being presented to the likes of Gilbert, Gram and Clarke (and even Fisher) when they look to break lines and give rebound.

Koschitzke is not a natural forward (he is a utility player playing forward because of a lack of options on our list), Milne prefers to lean back on his opponent and attempt to use his body to position for marks (hence is found out by bigger body opponents who do not have to be quick to counter him - and if they are quick they present a real problem for us) and is not a leading forward because he relies on wiles not pace and Riewoldt is obviously playing injured and unable to put in the work rate on mutiple leads he once could plus is being at least double teamed because we always have one spare back (not that we are different to any other side here).

The analysis of Friday night is that we got within 19 points without a forward line, and relied on a competative (but not as flashy) mid-field and a very good effort from our defence - particularly Clarke who was given both talls and smalls and performed as he did.

Indicative of this was McEvoy marking 40 metres out from their goal, going backwards where we got locked in and the panic clearance kick landing with Jolly 40 metres out on an angle - and he goaled.

Fisher also panicked, putting the disposal out on the full and a couple of times all of Gram, Gilbert and Clarke looked up to find nothing offering and found themselves nearly caught with the ball - and a couple of kicks smothered.

We have to work harder on creating the attacking option - and that starts with our forwards being threatening by finding space and actually presenting as realistic options.
The players that will improve that forward line in the near future aren't at the club yet....

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I love watching him, but then again, I reckon Geary is similar...throwing himself at just about any contest.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah sloaney is head in
provides plenty of run

reminds me of jones for us
youd want him in the trench
he'd have a red hot dip

he's not that much of a turnover king imo

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
To the top wrote:Perhaps some should lift their eyes and look at what is being presented to the likes of Gilbert, Gram and Clarke (and even Fisher) when they look to break lines and give rebound.

The players that will improve that forward line in the near future aren't at the club yet....
Missed Sippo earlier on, Bob?

He looked the part to me.

Cripps seemed to pinch a goal every time he crept forward too.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

While we are at it... one thing that has bugged me this year is our lack of interest in acquiring the services of Bachar Houli.

The few games he got at the bombers showed he had pace and used the ball nicely.

Now seems to be accelerating his development at the Tiggers with a regular senior spot.
I've seen him bob up with a few 30+ possie games in 2011.
Very good kick, quick... unless he had a ridiculous price tag on his head i would have thought he would be just the sorta guy we were looking for post the Lovett debacle.

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

duckduckduckgoose wrote:While we are at it... one thing that has bugged me this year is our lack of interest in acquiring the services of Bachar Houli.

The few games he got at the bombers showed he had pace and used the ball nicely.

Now seems to be accelerating his development at the Tiggers with a regular senior spot.
Very good kick, quick... unless he had a ridiculous price tag on his head i would have thought he would be just the sorta guy we were looking for post the Lovett debacle.
Already has said he wont ever play for stkilda because of his religous beliefs....

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Ralphy wrote:
duckduckduckgoose wrote:While we are at it... one thing that has bugged me this year is our lack of interest in acquiring the services of Bachar Houli.

Already has said he wont ever play for stkilda because of his religous beliefs....
So if we had've drafted him in the first instance, what would he and/or the AFL had done about it?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Ralphy wrote:

What does that mean?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Yes. How do his Islamic beliefs impact on St.Kilda?

FQF
SS Life Member

Just because St Kilda has a cross on its logo does not make us a Christian club. That is absurd.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

FQF wrote:Just because St Kilda has a cross on its logo does not make us a Christian club. That is absurd.
Precisely.

And in a general, simplistic way; Christianity, Islam & Judaism all stemmed from the same book in any case...

The Saints are coming!
Rosco
Club Player

plus there is no such saint as saint kilda - it's the name of a suburb which was named after a boat which was named after an island in scotland which no one is sure how it got its name.

goddardisgod
Club Player

Rosco wrote:plus there is no such saint as saint kilda - it's the name of a suburb which was named after a boat which was named after an island in scotland which no one is sure how it got its name.
Skilder. Norse for Westland. At some point the scots picked up the Anne and changed it a little bit.

Least that's what I was taught in school...

linmarnic
Club Player

FQF wrote:Just because St Kilda has a cross on its logo does not make us a Christian club. That is absurd.
I believe that it is because of the cross in the logo.

Never give up
Rosco
Club Player

goddardisgod wrote:
Rosco wrote:plus there is no such saint as saint kilda - it's the name of a suburb which was named after a boat which was named after an island in scotland which no one is sure how it got its name.
Skilder. Norse for Westland. At some point the scots picked up the Anne and changed it a little bit.

Least that's what I was taught in school...
cool. never knew that one.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Synman and Bromberg played for us- if it's Ok for Hebrews, why a problem with Muslims?

Calais
Club Player

I'm a muslim but see nothing wrong with wearing the Cross on the Saints jumper.. But the elders in my family HATE it. I'm 19 and get told off from time to time. I think that would also be the case with Bachar.

Nothing wrong with Christianity, from a young age we are told to love our brothers from different religions but pretty much what I've gathered is if you're a ford driver why are you wearing a holden racing team jacket..

Confusing, I know lol

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone have Bachar Houli on record as saying this? I've only heard it on this forum. Sounds like a super stupid way of limiting your career options, I can't believe anyone would seriously sprout off a comment like that after they left their club (Essendon) and were hoping to be picked up...or maybe Paul Connors is his manager?

Munga
Saintsational Legend

I thought it could've been a bastardisation of St Hilda??? H looks like K in them olden days.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"