The eyes have it

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Badlands
Club Player

The eyes have it

Just want to see what the view about the latest umpiring craze over the last year or maybe 2 years - to award a free kick against a player because he has averted his eyes from the ball to look at this opponent, even if only fleetingly.

I didn't (and still don't) have a problem with the front-on-contact when a player is clearly not watching the ball.

But over the last few weeks in particular i've seen some of the softest free kicks paid that you'll ever see, simply because a player has momentarily taken his eye off the ball, to the point where that in itself seems to now be considered an infringement, rather than the contact inflicted.

Just saw an example of this rule paid against graham in the ruck in the rich/wc game because he had a quick glance at the Nic Nat charging at him before bracing for impact. If he'd initiated the identically same contact with his eyes on the ball you can bet he wouldn't have been deemed to have infringed.

I guess if players are smart they are all aware of this interpretation and shouldn't be taking the eyes off the ball in any circumstance.

Interestingly after the J Brown incident, some commentators were encouraging players to 'have a look' before deciding how hard to go at a contest. Don't do it i say - you'll get pinged!

Anyone else frustrated at times with some of these frees?
To be fair, I have to say at least it's being interpreted consistently.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Ludricous decision in lions/crows game today which helped crows win

van berlo and Buchanan dived at the ball and hit heads. Because vb got there a milli second earlier he got a free!!! Kicked a goal.

Shocking decision and the ump should be dropped.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Trouble with umpires is they on a whole havent played the game,as such havent been in those situations