Lyon's coaching after half-time

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Quixote
SS Life Member

Lyon's coaching after half-time

Won us the game tonight.

Plus the guts of our players, our course.

Could easily have been a dropped chance tonight. At half-time it was anyone's guess.

Go back and look how he coached/structured several key players - BJ (into the centre master stroke), Macca, Dempster, Kosi, Gram, etc. It all got thrown around.

AND - we were down to 1 on the bench for at least 10-15 minutes in the 3rd, & the umpires were woeful.

Whatever, hope Polo & or Armo aren't injured too bad, or Vegas -

AND GO SAINTS!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Only way was up.......

We were outgunned early on....barlow, mayne.....joey....gilbert

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

you're kidding me ?
forcing players out of position is a joke & the result is obvious,
then letting them play where they are best suited - is not a master stroke.
Look at the stats for NDS - at the start of the year he was played in the backline & those results speak for themselves. Since moving back into the middle we are a much better team & he is back to his best.
For me, the RL philosophy is summed up with Farren Ray - he came to us a free running outside player with flair - he is now a "run with shut down" player.
And before i get cut down as anti RL- the commentators were saying the exact same thing re- Goddard last night

Seeya
gooner
Club Player

sunsaint wrote: For me, the RL philosophy is summed up with Farren Ray - he came to us a free running outside player with flair - he is now a "run with shut down" player.
He came to us as a high draftpick outside player who was cut from a list. He was considered soft. His efforts last night were outstanding, not something he could have done at WB.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

I'm convinced more than ever we'll win a flag under Lyon. Now that he's given up on Eddy and McQualter as he had to, and is using Dempster and CJ properly. That and the unleashing of McEvoy, Steven and Armitage, the confidence shown in Peake, Polo and Gamble, and the return to form of Kosi. This team is more than capable for mine. If Lenny, Gwilt and Gardiner were fit I'd be extremely confident.
Last edited by Little Dozer on Sat 06 Aug 2011 4:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Polo is a huge loss our improvement came when we put Polo and Steven together as the clearance duo in the middle. That duo has been very effective and will be hard to replace.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:you're kidding me ?
forcing players out of position is a joke & the result is obvious,
then letting them play where they are best suited - is not a master stroke.
Look at the stats for NDS - at the start of the year he was played in the backline & those results speak for themselves. Since moving back into the middle we are a much better team & he is back to his best.
For me, the RL philosophy is summed up with Farren Ray - he came to us a free running outside player with flair - he is now a "run with shut down" player.
And before i get cut down as anti RL- the commentators were saying the exact same thing re- Goddard last night
Having players that play multiple positions IS the future, if you can't make some moves, be adaptable from the coaching box, you'll get left behind.

Goddard played full back for awhile, it won't hurt him :)

I reckon Dal went back to help the team sunsaint, the disposal out of defence was very shaky for awhile there when Saints were struggling, I thought it was a great move at the time as it helped turn the backlines form and confidence around having a cool head down there.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

From the amount of talking & pointing that goes on when play stops, indicates to me that the Senior players make a lot of tactical moves between themselves. They know what the structures are and no doubt tinker around the edges, as the game evolves. A coach can't coach minute-to-minute.