Saints v Suns discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Saints v Suns discussion

Hmmm, interesting game coming up.

Possible matchups.

Roo v Bock (well depending on MRP)
Brown v Milne
Dempster v Ablett (mix it up a little)
Jones v Swallow

Gilbert could go to Brennan if he poses as a threat.

What's the dangerous element of this game, is that they don't appear to rely no one or two goal kickers, and heaps can bob up.

I am confident, our performances lately have been VERY even.

Saints by 44

Edit in light of Roo suspension.

Out Roo In Lynch

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

We can't take this one lightly, but our "all-ground effort" should see us get the chocolates at the end of the day.

I don't know much about their players, other than Ablett and Swallow are their gun possession mid-fielders. I am not sure that we have anyone who matches well on Ablett - Jones for first try. Armitage on Swallow in a stopping role.

What do others think?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Tom Lynch playing himself could prove interesting for the Fox Commentators..

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I don't like us against the Suns without Roo.

He's a significant point of difference against a side so light on for defenders of size and 'tank'.

Boxing at shadows? Probably. But F*** I'm shitty to be missing watching our best at Metricon....

BJ forward?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:We can't take this one lightly, but our "all-ground effort" should see us get the chocolates at the end of the day.

I don't know much about their players, other than Ablett and Swallow are their gun possession mid-fielders. I am not sure that we have anyone who matches well on Ablett - Jones for first try. Armitage on Swallow in a stopping role.

What do others think?
Trent McKenzie could be the one to watch. He's a massive kick of the ball and accurate at long range too so could be the one used to beat our press.

I'm really also looking forward to seeing how Big Mac goes on Zac Smith.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Saints in a canter, Riewoldt or not. We look to be back to our defensive best.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:I don't like us against the Suns without Roo.

He's a significant point of difference against a side so light on for defenders of size and 'tank'.

Boxing at shadows? Probably. But F*** I'm shitty to be missing watching our best at Metricon....

BJ forward?
That is a bummer for the QLD saints TL :?

Flipside of that, we've really been a lot more balanced lately, and far less reliant on him IMO.

I would like to play someone like Lynch in Roo's role rather than mess with the 'structure' that has been working so well.

goddardisgod
Club Player

Would prefer Lynch in for Roo. Disrupts the team of course, but can jump into a similar role and shouldn't be as hard as against a different team.

Ild say that Jones starts on Ablett, and Dempster on Harbrow. Have Armo play on Swallow and Steven head to head with Rischetelli. Gilbert to start on Lynch, while Dawse takes the deep ruckman.

On the flip side, Brown is likely the matchup for Milne, while Bock will take whichever ruck plays forward. McKenna doesnt seem to like midfield tags from what I've seen. Or maybe he does.

I'ld be rotating the big 3 (Goddard, Dal and Joey) through the forward line a bit more to try and make up for the loss of Roo.

I'm still expecting a comfortable win, but I certainly don't think it will be a blowout.

Saints by 43.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I think theres little doubt they will try and outrun us...they have a fleet of small runners that are far quicker than us. They also clear the ball more often than any side in the comp

They wont be able to do this all game though, and their younger bodies will be susceptable to our hard tackling..we must take advantage of the turnovers this creates.

I expect them to give cheek early..dont be surprised if they are right with us for a large part of the 1st half...but our superior fitness and tackling should overpower them comfortably in the end.

Please noone scream and yell if its not another 100pt massacre. No way could GC play as badly as Adelaide did

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Junction Oval wrote:We can't take this one lightly, but our "all-ground effort" should see us get the chocolates at the end of the day.

What do others think?
Trent McKenzie could be the one to watch. He's a massive kick of the ball and accurate at long range too so could be the one used to beat our press.

In fairness, he doesn't do much else other than nail a couple of bombs each week. His general play's pretty lethargic. No tank.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:

What do others think?

In fairness, he doesn't do much else other than nail a bomb or two each week. His general play's pretty lethargic. Comes and goes, like a lot of them.

Agree re ruck match up.

Smith is very agile but does fumble, but McEvoy is very tough and a significantly better mark. Mac should get the points.

What price three talls for the Saints? Koz, Mac, Gardy?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

What do others think?

In fairness, he doesn't do much else other than nail a bomb or two each week. His general play's pretty lethargic. Comes and goes, like a lot of them.

Agree re ruck match up.

Smith is very agile but does fumble, but McEvoy is very tough and a significantly better mark. Mac should get the points.

What price three talls for the Saints? Koz, Mac, Gardy?
I can't see why Gards should be given a game. He'd only be taking he spot of someone that has a longer term future. Having said Gards was one of my favourites. I've said before he was one of the reasons we had a great 09/10 season.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

I'd have Chips or Zac on Stanley, he's a good mark and is hard at it

I think Harbrow will take Yapper and try and run off him. Brennan is their danger man, he just floats and links. Rischitelli too provides a link from the defense.

Should be some interesting match ups. Thought the Suns would be tiring this stage of the year, but Bluey has managed them very well.
Their fitness isn't a prob just their overall lapses that let the opposition kick s few in a row.

Saints by about 40

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

SUMMARY
The rest of the competition can hear St Kilda's footsteps. After four straight wins, the 2009 and 2010 runners-up have moved into the top eight for the first time this season.

Last Friday night's 103-point hammering of Adelaide continued a terrific form resurgence that saw them leapfrog Essendon into the eight on percentage.

Nick Riewoldt's one-match suspension means he won't return to his Gold Coast home to play the Suns, but Stephen Milne (eight goals) and Adam Schneider (five) showed there were other avenues to goal last week.

Nick Dal Santo is in great form, Brendon Goddard continues to improve, and the Saints' defence has got back to its best in recent weeks.

Gold Coast is coming off a heartening second half performance against Collingwood where they were level with the premiers after conceding a nine-goal head start in the first half.

They have struggled stringing four quarters together all season and will need to do so against the rejuvenated Saints.

QUESTION MARKS
Can the Saints keep rolling towards September? A win over the Suns would see them jump the Sydney Swans (bye) and move another spot up the ladder and closer to a top-six finish. This would ensure home ground advantage in the first week of the finals against a likely interstate opponent.

Can the Suns start giving their forwards a chance? Gold Coast continued its remarkable work in the clearances against Collingwood, winning the count 40-37. Somehow they only managed to get the ball inside 50 a lowly 41 times though, and when it went forward, big targets Tom Lynch and Josh Fraser had little chance to mark. They have capable forwards if they get the ball in there more often and with more quality.

PREDICTION
St Kilda by 26 points

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Some rough off the cuff ideas...

Swallow gets Jones - Swallow is quick, so is Jones.

Dempster gets Ablett - Dempster loves that s*** these days.

They have some awkward match ups for us in the middle. Brennan and Rischitelli play quite tall. Maybe just back Dal and Joey to be equally if not more damaging.

Zac Smith and McEvoy an interesting study in contrasting styles. Smith is skilful but can be rag-dolled. McEvoy, I would think, would be much stronger.

Forward - Bock gets Kosi? Brown to Milne? Harbrow to Gamble. Hutchins to our Tom Lynch?

Back - Gilbo to Stanley, Dawson to Dixon/their Tom Lynch,

I reckon this all could add up to Gilbo or Fisher going forward and/or Baker coming back in. Where's Will Johnson at? Structurally he may be a good fit?

It also adds up to us not really matching up well on them, particularly with Roo out. He would have been double teamed. Milney and Schneider would have been eating a picnic dinner...

Dogfight, this. Feel it in me waters.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I agree that Dempster might go to Ablett, might mess with his head a bit if he is expecting and preparing for Jones.

He had 11 clearances against Collingwood.

I'm not sure Bock will get Kosi, because if we continue to set up as is, Kosi will be only there some of the time?

Bock might take Lynch?

Josh Fraser has also been in good form.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
Please noone scream and yell if its not another 100pt massacre.
I would if I could, but can't so I won't

Lost my voice with this flu thingy !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

PJ
SS Life Member

He'd only be taking he spot of someone that has a longer term future.
I really don't get this mentality. Someone who has runs on the board can't be taking the spot of someone that hasn't proved anything yet just using the "he could be great in the future" philosophy. Teams don't go backwards deliberately unless their season is completely shot.

Gardiner will get a shot if he's good enough and there is a spot for him.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
St.Walker
Club Player

I went out on the weekend to Metricon and the center square is so soft the bounce was horrible from the middle.

Hope they picked that up in the review of the Suns game

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Not concerned about this one at all.

Gold Coast defensively are rubbish and they can't string four quarters together.

Saints by 8-10 goals.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."