Colin Sylvia in the market

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mohannair
Club Player

Colin Sylvia in the market

Looks like another Demon is abt. to move out. I think he will be a good fit for our club.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/m ... 6099470801

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

In a heartbeat,but can't see how,or it happening

Bring back the Lockett era
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:In a heartbeat,but can't see how,or it happening
He'll only be moving for big bucks.

How much would you want to pay him?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
He'll only be moving for big bucks.

How much would you want to pay him?
We would want to pay him a lot however we dont have a lot to pay him.

Beekay
SS Life Member

If he's out of contract...

If he wants to stay in Melbourne...

If he wants to join a "challenger"...

If we have the dosh...

IMO, we are two skillful midfielders short of taking Collingwood to the sword. (development of a second key forward wouldn't hurt either)

He is 25..... I'd pee my pants if we attained him

St Loxton
Club Player

He's had a cracking year, i guess he new he was on his last year on a contract, and elevated his stock just in time to demand a nice wage increase next year.
Would take hime for sure, as p66 mentioned we dont have the $$$$.

Hunter Clark 2024 StKilda Saints Premiership captain.
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Would consider Sylvia for sure - only thing is what would Melb take in a trade, and how much would he want - Saints would be right on the edge in the salary cap.

Hold your ground :shock:
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

He's obviously very capable, although an outside midfielder is not right at the top of our wishlist at the moment. Only for a very good price.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

dcstkfc wrote:He's obviously very capable, although an outside midfielder is not right at the top of our wishlist at the moment. Only for a very good price.
Outside - shivers I reckon he is very hard at the ball and the man, that's why I would be interested.

I thought the only reason Sylvia sometimes plays HF and not mid is due to Melb having Jones, Scully, Moloney and Trengove rotate thru the center.

Hold your ground :shock:
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Put him on our "wish list" and see what eventuates.

As others have said, we would take him in a heartbeat!

Things don't seem to be going well, internally at Melbourne. The Saints have been there and done that! No more of that for us, thanks!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Greg Denham said on KB's program this morning that Sylvia would be looking for 450k per season and a 2-3 year contract.

We may have room in our salary cap for that, but is he worth it?

gosaints
Club Player

Just starting to get his body right is Col... has had massive problems with OP and shoulders. Basically had his 1st injury free preseason prior to this year and is reaping the rewards. Will only get better and would be a very nice addition to our team.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Greg Denham said on KB's program this morning that Sylvia would be looking for 450k per season and a 2-3 year contract.

We may have room in our salary cap for that, but is he worth it?
That is the big question Mr M :?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

id take him in a heartbeat. lot of "if's". But hell yeah. hed be awesome in our mid. especially with lenny at the end.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Gun, and we should seriously be a big player if he honestly wants a change of environment...

He is one of the few blokes out there I'd be interested in chasing... Im over all this constant recycling we're doing, but he is an exception...

Very good player, and brings alot to the table that we need... Strength, grunt, good skills, good overhead, loves a goal and has bag potential up his sleeve...

Hopefully we can swing some deal similiar to what got Burgoyne to the Hawks from Port, now that Pelchin is heading us up... i.e. Get a gun for not much...

Richter
SS Life Member

It is common knowledge in the football industry that contractual talks between the two parties broke down last month, with the Demons and Sylvia poles apart in a satisfactory settlement on a new deal.

It is understood Sylvia is looking for a two-to-three year contract extension, valued at up to $450,000 a year including incentives.
Wow, I'd have thought that $450k a year for Syliva would be a steal for Melbourne.

If we were to get him, then you'd need to be looking to offload someone to free up the cash....

As an aside, he'd be eligible for limited free agency at the end of 2013 season.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
ThePunter
Club Player

Remember that "recycling" isn't targeting and recruiting a player through the draft. Otherwise, Hamill and Gehrig would qualify as "recycled players".

Dean Polo and Ryan Gamble are recycled players. Farren Ray is not.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
It is common knowledge in the football industry that contractual talks between the two parties broke down last month, with the Demons and Sylvia poles apart in a satisfactory settlement on a new deal.

It is understood Sylvia is looking for a two-to-three year contract extension, valued at up to $450,000 a year including incentives.
Wow, I'd have thought that $450k a year for Syliva would be a steal for Melbourne.

If we were to get him, then you'd need to be looking to offload someone to free up the cash....As an aside, he'd be eligible for limited free agency at the end of 2013 season.
I would have thought that next season we already have Lovett's salary up our sleeve, as well as the mooted retirements of Gardiner, Blake and Baker. ALso some others are eligible for teh 'veterans list', again providing salary cap room.
Yes some of that might well be going towards increased payments to others, but I reckon they could find 450k if they really wanted to, without too much angst.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
Richter wrote:

If we were to get him, then you'd need to be looking to offload someone to free up the cash....As an aside, he'd be eligible for limited free agency at the end of 2013 season.
I would have thought that next season we already have Lovett's salary up our sleeve, as well as the mooted retirements of Gardiner, Blake and Baker. ALso some others are eligible for teh 'veterans list', again providing salary cap room.
Yes some of that might well be going towards increased payments to others, but I reckon they could find 450k if they really wanted to, without too much angst.
This

If we could snare a cheap key forward then this would be a great get. Perfect fit for us, plays as a half forward midfielder. Good over head, would allow us to increase thespread running. Maybe the scully issue might push out some established players. Also a chance for colin to come and play in a flag challenger next year.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Richter
SS Life Member

Even if we could find the $ - which I doubt btw, though if we picked him up then I'd see us delisting Gamble, then the question remains as to what would we have to give up. I'd say at least our first rounder, perhaps more... hence giving up a player may be necessary to gain the requisite pick/trade.... the whole of the draft/trade system is that you don't get something for nothing....

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Too expensive on a number of fronts. Move On !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saints66
Club Player

Richter wrote:Even if we could find the $ - which I doubt btw, though if we picked him up then I'd see us delisting Gamble, then the question remains as to what would we have to give up. I'd say at least our first rounder, perhaps more... hence giving up a player may be necessary to gain the requisite pick/trade.... the whole of the draft/trade system is that you don't get something for nothing....
Collingwood did!

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Make it happen!!

I was just saying to my mate the other day I would kill to have Sylvia at the club.

We should easily be able to fit him into the cap IMO.

I would hope that we will very heavily pursue one of Colin Sylvia, Patrick Dangerfield or Mitch Clark, add any of those three and our lineup has a completely different look to it.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Make it happen!!

I was just saying to my mate the other day I would kill to have Sylvia at the club.

I would hope that we will very heavily pursue one of Colin Sylvia, Patrick Dangerfield or Mitch Clark, add any of those three and our lineup has a completely different look to it.
Love to know how we could fit a 450k player under our salary cap. Would need to trade or not resign a fairly highly paid player.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Armoooo wrote:Make it happen!!

Love to know how we could fit a 450k player under our salary cap. Would need to trade or not resign a fairly highly paid player.
Lovetts money
Whatever Baker s on.
same as blake
same as gardiner
also riewoldt will be vet listed etc
so easliy done.