Is Jack Steven now Ineligible to win the Rising Star?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Is Jack Steven now Ineligible to win the Rising Star?

I just heard someone on SEN say that he now cannot win it because of the melee fine.

Bummer! :cry:

I think his form has been outstanding and he should definitely be in the mix to win it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Well whoever said it is wrong. Surely they were joking.

Rosco
Club Player

yeah, need to have been suspended to lose eligibility

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:yeah, need to have been suspended to lose eligibility
I think even then you can actually win it as long as the charge doesnt add up to 100 points.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
I think even then you can actually win it as long as the charge doesnt add up to 100 points.
Same rules apply to the Rising Star as they do to the Brownlow when it comes to suspensions etc.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Same rules apply to the Rising Star as they do to the Brownlow when it comes to suspensions etc.
So that would be right then. That is my understanding.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
100 points equals 1 game so suspension will only be when 100 or over.
One young player is nominated for the award after each round of home-and-away matches, with a panel of experts choosing the winner at the end of the season. To qualify for the NAB AFL Rising Star nomination, a player must be under 21 years of age as at January 1 of that year, must not have played more than 10 games to the start of that season and must not have been suspended by the AFL or State League tribunals during the season.
http://www.afl.com.au/development/nabaf ... fault.aspx
Last edited by saintbrat on Wed 13 Jul 2011 7:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
100 points equals 1 game so suspension will only be when 100 or over.
But you could still get charged with something that gives you less than 100 points and still be suspended. In that case you can still win it.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Mainly because dyson heppell will s*** it in....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Mainly because dyson heppell will s*** it in....
That is 100% correct but on current form he can finish anywhere from second to fifth.

mohannair
Club Player

I think if you get reported you are in-eligible for te award, I am not sure whether a mele is a reportable offence.

On the same note Sammy Mitchell is in-eligible for Brownlow though he is not suspended but was reported.

Below article will explain in detail

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... 6093349275

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mohannair wrote:I think if you get reported you are in-eligible for te award, I am not sure whether a mele is a reportable offence.

On the same note Sammy Mitchell is in-eligible for Brownlow though he is not suspended but was reported.

Below article will explain in detail

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... 6093349275
The reportable offence needs to be 100 points is my understanding.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:Mainly because dyson heppell will s*** it in....
Will probably win but others like Darling, Savage, Shuey, Smith and Swallow are a chance too depending on how the rest of the season plays out.

Steven's last half a dozen weeks have been better than probably all of the players listed above, but he doesn't have any media hype around him and we all know that these awards are influenced by that.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I thought Dustin Martin from Richmond couldn't win it last year but wasn't actually suspended? But I think my memory is playing tricks on me. :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:I thought Dustin Martin from Richmond couldn't win it last year but wasn't actually suspended? But I think my memory is playing tricks on me. :roll:
He wasnt but his charge attracted more than 100 points. It can work the other way though. The charge can be less than 100 points but you get a week but can still win the award.

Megsie
Club Player

Jack is eligible to win rising star award.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:I thought Dustin Martin from Richmond couldn't win it last year but wasn't actually suspended? But I think my memory is playing tricks on me. :roll:
He wasnt but his charge attracted more than 100 points. It can work the other way though. The charge can be less than 100 points but you get a week but can still win the award.
Rubbish, if you get suspended you can't win and there is no mention of points.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Are you 100% sure as you have said rubbish. I think if you gt less than 100 points but are still suspended then you may still be eligible. Where did you find that information?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
You can apologize if you like. I doubt I will get one though.

Based on a decision by a separate Match Review Panel, players are levied a number of base demerit points, according to the severity of their offence;
The panel then adjusts the number of base points to a number of final demerit points, via additions (for a poor prior tribunal record), or deductions (for a good prior tribunal record or for lodging an early guilty plea).
Players are suspended for one match for every 100 final demerit points he has.

In terms of Brownlow Medal eligibility, a player becomes ineligible if he accrues more than 100 base points during the season; final points are irrelevant. This means that it is now possible for a player to be ineligible for the Brownlow Medal, despite not having served a suspension that season;[2] or, to be eligible for the Brownlow despite receiving a suspension.[3

I believe the Rising star has exactly the same criteria.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Based on a decision by a separate Match Review Panel, players are levied a number of base demerit points, according to the severity of their offence;
The panel then adjusts the number of base points to a number of final demerit points, via additions (for a poor prior tribunal record), or deductions (for a good prior tribunal record or for lodging an early guilty plea).

In terms of Brownlow Medal eligibility, a player becomes ineligible if he accrues more than 100 base points during the season; final points are irrelevant. This means that it is now possible for a player to be ineligible for the Brownlow Medal, despite not having served a suspension that season;[2] or, to be eligible for the Brownlow despite receiving a suspension.[3

From the AFL website as referred to by saintbrat above:

"To qualify for the NAB AFL Rising Star nomination, a player must be under 21 years of age as at January 1 of that year, must not have played more than 10 games to the start of that season and must not have been suspended by the AFL or State League tribunals during the season."

here's the link:

Not interested in an apology.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:I thought Dustin Martin from Richmond couldn't win it last year but wasn't actually suspended? But I think my memory is playing tricks on me.   :roll:

"To qualify for the NAB AFL Rising Star nomination, a player must be under 21 years of age as at January 1 of that year, must not have played more than 10 games to the start of that season and must not have been suspended by the AFL or State League tribunals during the season."

here's the link: 

Thanks Bernard.

That should end this thread :)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

here's the link:

Interesting that there is a note in the eligibility that says it is exactly the same as the Brownlow medal eligibility. BS did you miss that deliberately or accidentally. If deliberately an apology would be good otherwise I accept that you would have apologised anyway.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Megsie wrote:Jack is eligible to win rising star award.
He's been nominated this year already hasn't he???

Rosco
Club Player

he has been nominated. and he should be ranked highly in the media in terms of being a chance to win it, but it just won't happen.

regarding eligibility more broadly, are there any offences that you can be charged with that attract less than 100 points (ignoring any good behaviour / guilty plea discounts)?

if there are, and you commit two of them within one season (or game), you could total more than 100 and be suspended (and also become ineligible for the rising star / brownlow).

in the old days if you committed two offences in the one game, each of which wouldn't see you get suspended on their individual merits, you would get off scott free.

so you could argue that the new system means that those players that are often close to crossing the magical suspension line (but don't) are disadvantaged. dermie & rhys jones would have been screwed by carry over points back in the 80s.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

I doubt he will win. Given that the media and the general public think Saints footy is boring and lacks excitement. Even though Steven burning defenders in the center square is some of the more exciting footy we have seen from St Kilda this year.