My heart just sinks everytime I think about it

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

My heart just sinks everytime I think about it

Read the following in Robbo's "The Tackle" column and it really sucked. The truth hurts.

Sporting perfection dulls the brain, but yesterday could not be ignored. Indeed, the Magpies' season cannot be ignored. Their system of manic defence combined with manic offence combined with absolute unselfishness has redefined football. Geelong did it, the Hawks did it, the Pies are doing it, all in the space of five years. Footy redefines itself, challenges itself and betters itself every two years. How lucky are we? Soccer anyone?

No mention of the Saints 2009 season. It just goes to prove that the only thing that matters in this game is premierships.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Re: My heart just sinks everytime I think about it

Cairnsman wrote:Read the following in Robbo's "The Tackle" column and it really sucked. The truth hurts.

Sporting perfection dulls the brain, but yesterday could not be ignored. Indeed, the Magpies' season cannot be ignored. Their system of manic defence combined with manic offence combined with absolute unselfishness has redefined football. Geelong did it, the Hawks did it, the Pies are doing it, all in the space of five years. Footy redefines itself, challenges itself and betters itself every two years. How lucky are we? Soccer anyone?

No mention of the Saints 2009 season. It just goes to prove that the only thing that matters in this game is premierships.
Yep, no matter how they are won.

Was it in 1913 that we won the grand final but lost the premiership game?

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Go barrack for colonwood then. Problem solved.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
How about you get a hard vegetable and stick it your ear.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
satchmo wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Dunno what that means but I like it

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
satchmo wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Making more friends Cairnsman? See, it's not nice when someone has a go at your OP is it.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I still often work up a twitch if I recount the GF's, 09 being the benchmark without the chocolates, what a c**k-up.
But what I am starting to think about more this year is that we are still in the running & I would like to actually enjoy it if we slip into the finals… We've all seen so many years where we only win a handful of games for the entire season. We still have some great players, we're still very competitive with the top few sides even though we have been well below our best.I just don't want to write off this year and wait for 2012 as so many are talking about (I was too). Lenny is great, but he isn't the difference lets not kid ourselves. Theres also a good chance we'll lose another important player to injury next year, most years you do.
We might not even make the finals, let alone win one, but lets stop comparing this year to 09, it's gone. It's easy to forget how exciting it used to be just making the 8, who knows what 2012 might bring, we might be even further off the pace, so if we rally and make the finals - I'm going to make sure I enjoy it.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
satchmo wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Making more friends Cairnsman? See, it's not nice when someone has a go at your OP is it.
You are either a young girl or 7. Maybe both. It makes sense to me. But hey it explains why you are challenged with simple arithmetic.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
satchmo wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
No, I'm not your "friend"

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
satchmo wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
No, I'm not your "friend"
Then what about a vegetable?

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

The key word is "manic". That's what makes Collingwood special (for now, anyway). Those guys come out and go berserk. Crazy energy.

Back when we played them in Rd 3 last year they couldn't keep it up for more than two quarters -- hence that ran out of puff in the second half. Now they can last a lot longer.

That's why they're top of the ladder. Manic energy, even when they don't feel like it. No loping, trudging, or half-tackles. We could learn something.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
satchmo wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
You are either a young girl or 7. Maybe both. It makes sense to me. But hey it explains why you are challenged with simple arithmetic.
It's better than being a dicrepit redneck racist who has a very limited knowledge of football and of life in general.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

WTF? Why do people always feel the need to bag soccer, out of no where?? Tall poppy syndrome?
It's like me watching Masterchef and George issues an anti soccer cake challenge, what the hell is going on?
I like Robbo, but I give a big F!@# OFF to that last sentence. :x

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I've got people at work telling me if St Kilda had malthouse as a coach then we would have won a flag by now.....

They also tell me Collingwood has become a footballer factory..they just keep producing players......

If that filth win 2 in a row we might all have to move overseas to get away from the idiots.... :roll:

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:I've got people at work telling me if St Kilda had malthouse as a coach then we would have won a flag by now.....

They also tell me Collingwood has become a footballer factory..they just keep producing players......

If that filth win 2 in a row we might all have to move overseas to get away from the idiots.... :roll:
Even if they DO win two in a row, the dynasty can't last for ever. They'll lose players to GWS and Gold Coast.
How could you ignore being paid DOUBLE what you're getting now for the next five years? Sadly, this may apply to some of our players too.

As I've said, if they win it this year, Buckley (F*ckley) will be on a hiding to nothing next year. If things drop off a bit, as they inevitably will, wait for the supporter backlash (Why did we sack a Premiership coach? etc)....

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

PS PLEASE don't try to get Mick Sh*thouse to coach us. It took the pr*ck 11 years to get a Flag. He may not last another 11 years on the earth!

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:The key word is "manic". That's what makes Collingwood special (for now, anyway). Those guys come out and go berserk. Crazy energy.

Back when we played them in Rd 3 last year they couldn't keep it up for more than two quarters -- hence that ran out of puff in the second half. Now they can last a lot longer.

That's why they're top of the ladder. Manic energy, even when they don't feel like it. No loping, trudging, or half-tackles. We could learn something.
You have hit the nail on the head IMO. It's not as though they haven't got their fair share of GOPs.

So how do you stop manic?

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
satchmo wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Cairnsman the problem is that you forgot the word "in". SHould be "stick it IN your ear". Then everybody would get it.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
satchmo wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Cairnsman the problem is that you forgot the word "in". SHould be "stick it IN your ear". Then everybody would get it.
Thanks for that Fingers. It is duly noted.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

But back on topic. How do you stop manic.

In the old days you could soften up the young and the quick with a bit of old physicality to knock the enthusiasm out of a player but that tactic is hard to get away with these days.

So how do you conter manic play because I reckon that is the Pies strength.

We've got the defensive side of the game nailed as do the Pies but if we could generate some manic then maybe that is the solution to our offensive problems.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:But back on topic. How do you stop manic.

In the old days you could soften up the young and the quick with a bit of old physicality to knock the enthusiasm out of a player but that tactic is hard to get away with these days.

We've got the defensive side of the game nailed as do the Pies but if we could generate some manic then maybe that is the solution to our offensive problems.
You have to OUT-MANIC them…
We look more laconic than manic at the moment.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:The key word is "manic". That's what makes Collingwood special (for now, anyway). Those guys come out and go berserk. Crazy energy.

That's what drug taking does

Another opportunity awaits!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Win the clearance.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

Win the clearance.
Maybe they are just very very good as their players have plenty of ability, skill and speed which enables them to carry out the gameplan. You can't beat that by "softening" players up a bit. Geelong tried that in GF during the 90s and look what that got them. Port tried it on Sunday. Old fashioned and backward ideas won't get you anywhere in the modern age.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:Sporting perfection dulls the brain, but yesterday could not be ignored. Indeed, the Magpies' season cannot be ignored. Their system of manic defence combined with manic offence combined with absolute unselfishness has redefined football. Geelong did it, the Hawks did it, the Pies are doing it, all in the space of five years. Footy redefines itself, challenges itself and betters itself every two years. How lucky are we? Soccer anyone?

WTF? Why do people always feel the need to bag soccer, out of no where?? Tall poppy syndrome?
It's like me watching Masterchef and George issues an anti soccer cake challenge, what the hell is going on?
I like Robbo, but I give a big F!@# OFF to that last sentence. :x
I had the same reaction, what a small-minded thing to say.

Even though I have my preferred options, my philosophy is still to enjoy good quality games of anything where a bunch of people wearing numbers are chasing/kicking/throwing/hitting a ball. I don't get why AFL (and NRL up here) diehards feel compelled to throw out poorly thought out criticisms with no relation to their premise.

To be honest, I see the constant tweaking of rules in AFL as one of its weaknesses and one of the drivers of the changes he values. And if... if a ball had taken a slightly different bounce in GF 1 last year he wouldn't be writing it.

Anyway... just under 99,000 people attended the U17 world cup final on Sunday. I can't think of any other game that would do that. :wink: