Ben" Big Boy" McEvoy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jamesmc
Club Player

Ben" Big Boy" McEvoy

Is Big Boy the next Carl D.? He should be our next Captain. :idea:

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Yeah... ummm... Slightly different player to Big Carl, mate.

I compared him to Len Thompson, but got pooh-poohed for that call.

Not sure about captain at this stage, but I guess a couple of more seasons down the track and we may have a fair indication of what the future holds for him.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Next Captain... Put your house on it.

I always thought that the issue would be whether or not he would establish himself as enough of a key player to earn the spot but I certainly think he's shown he is going to be a 200 game player.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
GramSlam

Leader all over him when he is on the ground and the way he plays but is he a huge talker?

I know captains dont always have to love the media, but could he be good in front of the media as well as being captain of a footy club?

Heck even MCQ was captain of the Vic Metro team or wherever he came from, had leadership qualities as a junior... where did they go

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

200cm Dal Santo.

A smooth mover and distributor.

Is a footballer, not just tall, not just athletic.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

GramSlam wrote:Leader all over him when he is on the ground and the way he plays but is he a huge talker?

I know captains dont always have to love the media, but could he be good in front of the media as well as being captain of a footy club?

Heck even MCQ was captain of the Vic Metro team or wherever he came from, had leadership qualities as a junior... where did they go
Was in the leadership group despite never becoming one of the better onfield players at the club.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I saw Big Carl play his first game (round 1, 1963 v Melbourne, we won) and I saw Big Ben play his first (round 13, 2008 v Fremantle, we also won). They both played for some time in the ruck and both played for the Saints in a home game. There, the similarities ended. Big Carl made an impact through his athleticism from his first game. Like a few others, he had a number of disappointments, missing out on the flag through suspension and then the '71 loss. Big Ben has taken time to mature (like most ruckmen). I hope he goes one better than GF2 last year. I would say he is about 70% of the way along the path to being a top ruckman. He does appear (from the stands at least) to have on field leadership qualities.

jamesmc
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:Yeah... ummm... Slightly different player to Big Carl, mate.

Not sure about captain at this stage, but I guess a couple of more seasons down the track and we may have a fair indication of what the future holds for him.
I'm assuming Nick has a couple more years as captain. By 2014 Big Boy will be in the peak of his career.

St Lenny
Club Player

jamesmc wrote:

I'm assuming Nick has a couple more years as captain. By 2014 Big Boy will be in the peak of his career.
While I agree Big B shows alot of promise. I think BJ will be our next Captain.

jamesmc
Club Player

St Lenny wrote:
jamesmc wrote:

Sounds good, but unfortunately i don't think he will be at the club by then.

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

So did I! I reckon he IS Len Thompson reincarnated.

Have a look at some old footage, you young people. All Benny needs is those white ankle-guards Len used to wear and I could yell as he lopes along: "Go, Racehorse!"

A future Brownlow medallist? He could play 300 games for the Saints.

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I Love Peter Kiel wrote:

So did I! I reckon he IS Len Thompson reincarnated.

Have a look at some old footage, you young people. All Benny needs is those white ankle-guards Len used to wear and I could yell as he lopes along: "Go, Racehorse!"

A future Brownlow medallist? He could play 300 games for the Saints.
Thank you. It's nice to know I'm not alone on that one.

Yeah, he's become quite a prospect, has Mac.

Fingers crossed for him to continue being a great competitor at St.Kilda FC for years to come :)

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

GramSlam wrote:Leader all over him when he is on the ground and the way he plays but is he a huge talker?

captain vic country.....under 16s as well as under 18s

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Richter
SS Life Member

From wiki page
McQualter was raised in Traralgon, Victoria, and attended Gippsland Grammar School and later Caulfield Grammar School as a boarder along with future St Kilda teammate Brendon Goddard. McQualter and Goddard both captained the school's First XVIII football team and played in the First XI cricket side.

McQualter captained the Victorian Country Under-16 and Under-18 teams at the National Football Championships. He was injured for the 2004 National Carnival, meaning many AFL scouts didn't see him play during his final year of junior football. Nevertheless, he was selected by St Kilda 17th overall in the first round of the 2004 AFL Draft.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
jamesmc
Club Player

Re:

St Lenny wrote:
jamesmc wrote:

A fair way off on this prediction :wink:

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Re: Ben" Big Boy" McEvoy

If we had a decent ruckmen he wouldn't be getting a game - how can he be considered our next captain? Some people consider him trade bait as they also see his inability to win his position ...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:If we had a decent ruckmen he wouldn't be getting a game - how can he be considered our next captain? Some people consider him trade bait as they also see his inability to win his position ...

He is a decent ruckmen but then again there are people who just look at hitouts. I prefer to think there is more to a ruckman than that.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He's a pretty good footballer IMO

jamesmc
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:If we had a decent ruckmen he wouldn't be getting a game - how can he be considered our next captain? Some people consider him trade bait as they also see his inability to win his position ...

Who can you see as the next Captain?