3 tall forwards ???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

3 tall forwards ???

In Leigh MATTHEWS article today he was talking up the importance of having tall backman to play on the PIES & CATS 3x talls up forward.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

With this in mind I was wondering why RL gone away from the other leading clubs policy of playing 3 talls up forward. One being the 2nd ruckman. He could say a lack of options but I believe there is plenty of options running around at Sandringham.

I would have been playing another tall just to support ROO and help him become more affective.

You could also argue that when Kosi comes back with LYNCH in the side we have the three talls. But in the interim the lack of talls supporting Reiwoldt has been a major cause in his loss of form and didn't help our cause in September last year.

Remeber how well ROO was playing when we had Gehrig & Hamill to support him.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Ideally I think Ross does want them

Roo, Kosi, McEvoy, Gardiner.

2talls + 2nd ruck. Inuries and suspensions just messing it up and I guess Ross doesn't see others are ready/deserve a spot.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:Ideally I think Ross does want them

2talls + 2nd ruck. Inuries and suspensions just messing it up and I guess Ross doesn't see others are ready/deserve a spot.
I hope we dont do that. How slow would the forward line be. There goes the defensive pressure. And yes I know one of them would be rucking but it is still far to slow. Doubt MG will play again unless it is a goodbye game.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Did'nt we just about start the tall forwards off, with Roo, Kosi and GTrain?

Griggsy
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Griggsy wrote:Ideally I think Ross does want them

I hope we dont do that. How slow would the forward line be. There goes the defensive pressure. And yes I know one of them would be rucking but it is still far to slow. Doubt MG will play again unless it is a goodbye game.
Yup very slow and none are good around their feet but Ross does tend to lock guys into the team.

I think 1 of Kosi or Gards shouldn't play or be subbed off at halftime and the other will be 2nd ruck. I don't see any VFL so I don't know if some of the younger and more agile talls are ready to take on a AFL level defense.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

We dont play 3 tall forwards because we just dont have 3 of the required or
desired quality

Helps the cloggers get a game though.... something for them to tell the Grand Kids

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
kos
Club Player

Obviously ross needs to try some combinations up forward from what we

have on our list before seasons end.

Roo is the obvious target with lynch whom provdes that hamill type role

and possibly any of johnson/stanley/kosi/siposs/walsh ect.

Too often has he played roo+1 which leaves 4 smalls a no support in the

air.

We tend to bomb it to predictibly not giving our forwards much chance.

3 leading forwards gives us more options to hit up and releases roo from

the triple teaming a bit. Obviously the standout combos not there yet, but

we wont know till we try.

im no footy expert ,but cant see why ross wont change the forward set up

and see if we can improve as a team.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Outside of Roo, I reckon Lynch and Sippos have looked the most likely. Kosi will be automatic inclusion but I believe we can play all 4 of them with Kosi helping out in the ruck a bit....although Gardiner is due back....

To the top
SS Life Member

The primary function of the tall forwards is to contest overhead as targets including the taking of contested marks.

Where our problem has been is that we have basically relied on 2 talls, being Koschitzke and Riewoldt rotating as they do deep and further up the ground (including Koschitzke dropping deep into defence in clutch situations and taking match saving marks).

The best we have had as a 3rd tall option is Gardiner drifting forward and kicking the occasional goal.

Koschitzke and Gardiner have had interrupted seasons which has done us no favours.

Then we have relied on Milne, Schnieder, McQualter etc. so there has been no intermediate tall. Gamble is 184cm and slow.

In terms of defensive pressure if we play 3 talls forward, the lack of leg speed (eg what Peake in particular is showing at present around the ground, quickly closing down on runners with the ball and short ball options) among Milne, Schnieder, McQualter etc. has been damaging to us.

Cripps and Ledger have shown the leg speed required - and Cripps in particular has shown that he can slot a couple a game.

Hopefully Ledger also can hit the scoreboard, because then we will have more potency than we currently have.

It is preferable to have 3 talls up forward who can contest and grab as Riewoldt, Koschitzke and Gardiner can, but you need the support players crumbing and putting defensive pressure on by being able to cover the ground very, very quickly - as Peake does.

groupie1
Club Player

All of this is good talk but many of these ideas essentially pose a 10-man forward line.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
degruch
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Did'nt we just about start the tall forwards off, with Roo, Kosi and GTrain?
Maybe...it ended pretty quick too! Stuffs Lethal's theory up a bit.