Winmar/Milne

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Winmar/Milne

We are all proud of Nicky Winmar for making a stand against racism. But I think its time someone (cheersquad maybe) made a stand for Steven Milne, what he has to put up with each week is disgraceful and no different. He shouldn't have to tolerate it.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
dragit
Saintsational Legend

tasers?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bit different.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:bit different.
Of course it is Con.

But a player is protected from all kinds of vilification whether it be race, religion, sexual preference etc etc. Why shouldn’t Milney be protected from the sort of stuff he’s had to endure for the last 7 years or so.

If the comments are unfair and cause hurt to the player and his family they should not be tolerated.

Just look at the recent Krakouer “incidentâ€

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

No different in my book. Vilification is vilification and Milney cops it big time.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Behind Play
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Of course it is Con.

But a player is protected from all kinds of vilification whether it be race, religion, sexual preference etc etc. Why shouldn’t Milney be protected from the sort of stuff he’s had to endure for the last 7 years or so.

If the comments are unfair and cause hurt to the player and his family they should not be tolerated.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Behind Play wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Of course it is Con.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Behind Play wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Of course it is Con.

asaint
Club Player

I would love to make a stand for Milney. It sickens me the abuse he cops which has got a lot worse since Malthouse had his say. Exactly why is a player penalised for racial abuse and a senior coach gets off scott free. He is a disgrace. Hate the guy. He should be made to meet Milneys son and apologise to him for the pain caused to the family.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Whilst I agree with your sentiments, Bev, I'm not sure how anything could stop opposition fans from hurling verbal abuse at him.

If there's anyone who should be apologising, it's Michael Malthouse. It's thanks to him it has only worsened :roll:

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Whilst I agree with your sentiments, Bev, I'm not sure how anything could stop opposition fans from hurling verbal abuse at him.

If there's anyone who should be apologising, it's Michael Malthouse. It's thanks to him it has only worsened :roll:
If Malthouse had balls he'd front up a la Sherman, apologise unequivocally, express his shame, accept a sanction and move on.

And Eddie McMuffinTops would express his outrage at Malthouse's wavering from the club's values.

Yeah.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Moods
Saintsational Legend

You know what? How is it different? Racial vilification is a disgrace on many levels, and hurtful for many reasons that caucasian ppl struggle to understand. Being caucasian all I can do is educate myself as best possible.

However, I challenge anyone to be labelled a rapist and just brush it off. If Milney had been charged and found guilty, well them's the breaks and if he chose to live his life in the public eye, then I reckon he would have to wear it - b/c in the eyes of the law he would be indeed a rapist.

The facts are, he was interviewed and no charges were even proceeded with, let alone found not guilty of them. For the AFL to allow him to be labelled like this in public I find disgraceful. To allow a respected AFL coach to get away with what he did is just outrageous. And yes, he did get away with it. Very few ppl on here would have any idea what it would be like I reckon to have ppl abuse you in this way, and to be honest I couldn't imagine the hurt would be far from being racially vilified. Is there a bigger slur against a man than to be labelled a rapist? Maybe a pedophile (which is really just an even worse version of a rapist)

No-one really knows with absolute certainty whether Milne is innocent or guilty of the alleged crime, but the facts are that the OPP didn't even believe there was enough evidence to test it in court. I find much of the AFL's respect towards women policy ridiculous. Why just respect twds women? Why not respect for everyone? Same goes for racial vilification. Whilst being racially vilified is ignorant and dumb by the abuser, vilifying someones reputation like Milne cops defies belief. The fact that we, as a society believe it's acceptable to yell this out at the footy, means that we have still have a long way to go I reckon - as do the AFL.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

The AFL could make a quiet call around clubs and suggest it is left out or will be prosecuted under the vilification laws. But there is unfortunately no sympathy for guys who were not charged but continue to be labelled.

The media like to keep it front and centre and conveniently bring it back up regularly while leaving Collingwood alone. If Levin sent letters suggesting a cease and desist policy was in place or defamation may be pursued, they may just forget about it.

Like Lindy Chamberlain, he will probably carry the opinion of many that he is guilty for life. Racism is s*** and is being addressed, unfortunately Milne will be unlikely to ever get a fair run.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

This poor bugger cops an absolute canning week in, week out with regards to this. Why he has to be mentally tortured by redneck yobbos trying to dribble this rot out over the fence every week is beyond me. the AFL owe it to their players to get on top of it.

It's just as bad as any racial slur in my opinion. I'd sooner be called a honky white low-life bastard than a rapist any day!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
SaintSimmo
Club Player

Milney would cop the "your a f***ing rapist" every week and every time i hear it i have a word to the d**khead that says it:

my personal favourite:
"the only thing milney is raping is your team"

expect you can only use that when he is playing well. :D

Sainter for life.
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

St. Luke wrote:This poor bugger cops an absolute canning week in, week out with regards to this. Why he has to be mentally tortured by redneck yobbos trying to dribble this rot out over the fence every week is beyond me. the AFL owe it to their players to get on top of it.

It's just as bad as any racial slur in my opinion. I'd sooner be called a honky white low-life bastard than a rapist any day!
Absolutly correct.

Milney cops a mouthful from over the fence week in week out and I personally would struggle to keep my emotions in check if I were on the receving end.

Any slur against someones character be it racial or otherwise should be punished severly and stamped out of the game for good. Not only for the players and their familys sake but for the impressionable kids who have the misfortune to be within earshot of the sort of fool who would make those kind of coments

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

we should name and shame, but Kim Duthie style...

we all have phones that record. lets film the perpetrators and post the footage somewhere.

or send to the stations or Eddie direct.

you would probably want to be discreet for your own safety.

coordinate the effort and put a highlights video on youtube

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
PaytonPlace
Club Player

This is something of my sore spot (I've actually ruined family BBQs and had a Collingwood bogan try and punch me in the Arms) defending Milney

The first trip I had to Melbourne (I live in Tasmania) to actually go and see St Kilda play I had the pleasure of meeting one S.Milne. I had a lovely chat with him, he was incredibly generous with his time, and we even had a mini chat about American sports!

I proudly wear his number on my back when I travel, and I will never reconcile the person they (you know who in particular) make him out to be with the person I met.

Anything I can do to show my support for Milney, I'd be happy to do. The Malthouse, ahem, incident made me sick to my stomach and the fact there was no ban I just found unbelievable...

If one of our players had made mention of Didaks, Shaws, Johnsons, Swans or Krakouers past you can bet we'd be on the front page of the paper (complete with Kim Duthie references)

This could turn into a rant, but I'm so over the abuse he cops!

Becca

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Neither are acceptable, but they are different as far as I am concerned.
Milne is abused as people assume that he is guilty of a crime that he was investigated over.
Being of a different race/colour is just a completely unacceptable reason for discrimination.

Maybe they should start ejecting the punters who are abusing Milney, it wouldn't take long for people to get the idea that it is not acceptable?

ace
Saintsational Legend

FOOLS you think this has anything to do with the effect of vilification on players.

It has all to do with leftist politics.
Don't forget that Fat Eddie's brother is a Labor party politician.
Both Fat Eddie and Demented Demetriou have been sounded out by Labor.
There are votes in being seen to be defending indigenous persons in all walks of life especially indigenous voters.
Labor has recruited the AFL as part of their campaign to be the defenders of the indigenous.

Now where are the votes in stopping the vilification of a "Skippy" from being called a rapist.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Behind Play wrote:
Not only did it happen to us but at no stage, and I stand to be corrected, did I see or hear Greg Westaway, come out and support his players. Condemn the lies which were being spread about pregnancies and photos.
As a president you should be on the front foot, continuously promoting your club, supporting your players, your members and supporters.
We unfortunately have a reputation of a club with troubled players, so far from the truth it isn’t funny, eg Goddard, Riewoldt, Lenny and many more with huge standings amongst not only the football community but the community in general.
Milne’s character is always being questioned; he is maligned as a footballer, often being put in the sniper category. In 11 years on the ground he has missed 3 or 4 games from suspension. Once again though, I have never heard our President come out in his support, even when he was vilified by Malthouse.
Great Post.

Greg Westaway fails miserably here. Sure, the apologists will come out in support (and I like the guy) but he's not a leaders backside.

To "keep mum" and hope it all blows over does little for your brand - infact it screams "we're compliant.." the net result is we just wear cr@p.

I dont want Greg to morph into Kennet (complete opposite nightmare) BUT I would like the occasional Frank Costa effort.....but nup, Greg "invisible" Westaway is old school - dont make waves. Sadly as a club it means we never stand up for guys like Milne. Just imagine if Ross Lyon called Alan Didak a "f@Rkin murderer".....can you imagine Maguires replies?? (there'd be multiple). Yet after Malthouse sh@t in Milnes face....we had Maguire "attempt" to come out and link a watered down comment at Krakour from our supporters as "racist"...I find that ironic.......but I note he backed away from the racist bit fast.

I heard Hawks footy manager on radio today describing the Jordan Lewis incident as "soft" and how the MRP needed to be reviewed etc etc and I thought........NOT ONCE do I hear St Kilda EVER speak up in defence of the club/player when we cop this cr@p.....and we cop it a bit.

Seriously if our club was in jail we'd be somebodies shower b!tch. Pass the soap Greg.

“Yeah….nah””
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Teflon, I would have thought our recent history in the media would understandably lend itself to an attitude of 'we have f*** all to say to you people'.

Any 'stand' would be construed as misplaced sookery by anyone other than St Kilda people.

Ultimately everyone thinks Collingwood's PR machine should be some kind of model of public stoicism, but the fact is they have red carpet ride in all media on weight of numbers, a media power broker at the helm, and, now, success.

Collingwood is Collingwood. The rest have to do the best they can.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Teflon, I would have thought our recent history in the media would understandably lend itself to an attitude of 'we have f*** all to say to you people'.

Any 'stand' would be construed as misplaced sookery by anyone other than St Kilda people.

Ultimately everyone thinks Collingwood's PR machine should be some kind of model of public stoicism, but the fact is they have red carpet ride in all media on weight of numbers, a media power broker at the helm, and, now, success.

Collingwood is Collingwood. The rest have to do the best they can.
Nup way to easy.

How does that explain Hawks coming out when they need to?

As I said, Im not askingto be Collingwood - but there ARE times when you need to stand up for your club. We don't and Gregs "say nothing" approach isnt always the best policy.

I sometimes think we are portrayed poorly in the media for a few reasons (dumb player decisions are 1) others include our poor media relationship and our pathetic ability to speak up when we have been short changed.

Geezus, even the video we released to portray the club in a better light was referred to tonight on radio by John Ralph as "ill-guided"...we can't win but we can at least at times get on the front foot.

“Yeah….nah””
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Hawks have Kennett.

There's your answer.

"Media relationship" is such a crock. All the clubs do the same s*** but colour it their own way. At the end of it all they're simply putting up a banner, standing in front of it, and sprouting vanilla.

The media want what sells. Up here it the Suns over the Lions. Down there its Collingwood over everyone. And we all know a Saints scandal goes a long way.

What our head of state does has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Hawks have Kennett.

There's your answer.

"Media relationship" is such a crock. All the clubs do the same s*** but colour it their own way. At the end of it all they're simply putting up a banner, standing in front of it, and sprouting vanilla.

The media want what sells. Up here it the Suns over the Lions. Down there its Collingwood over everyone. And we all know a Saints scandal goes a long way.

What our head of state does has absolutely nothing to do with it.
I heard more from David Smorgon when the Dogs got done for drinking o/s than I have from Greg in 3 yrs....how do we answer that?

Once again, it is ok for us to SOMETIMES stand up and say we are not happy with the treatment of a player..

When Mguire started the drivel about Krackour - our time as a club was to come out say we are disgusted in the ongoing abuse Stephen Milne cops.

Our silence condones it and its weak IMO.

“Yeah….nah””