Long time reader, first time poster

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Nick

Long time reader, first time poster

Hello Saintsational..

I'd like to pose the following question. Why doesn't Lyon give Stanley a chance at CHF? I read today that he is thinking about buying a gun forward to help Rooey. I just couldn't help thinking why doesn't he give Stanley a go. We all know he has pace and we all know that it take the talls an extra couple of years to develop. Yet he is languishing in the reserves. I don't get it!!!!!!!!????????

If I had any say, I would put Stanley in for the rest of the season. Then I would be able to decide if he is worth perservering with.

Am I missing something here??

dragit
Saintsational Legend

form

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

dragit wrote:form
and injured last couple weeks.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Long time reader, first time poster

St Nick wrote:Hello Saintsational..

I'd like to pose the following question. Why doesn't Lyon give Stanley a chance at CHF? I read today that he is thinking about buying a gun forward to help Rooey. I just couldn't help thinking why doesn't he give Stanley a go. We all know he has pace and we all know that it take the talls an extra couple of years to develop. Yet he is languishing in the reserves. I don't get it!!!!!!!!????????

If I had any say, I would put Stanley in for the rest of the season. Then I would be able to decide if he is worth perservering with.

Welcome to the madhouse St Nick.

Stanley has been his own worst enemy, first by getting caught up in the NZ fiasco and then by failing to really impress at Sandy. He missed the last game with a hamstring injury just to make matters worse.

At this point in time he'd be behind both Johnson and Walsh as a tall forward option. He may even be behind Archer, and if he doesn't start putting it all together, may even slip behind Cahill.

Stanley has a rare combination of height and speed, but these are things he was born with. Now is the time to work on application.

St Nick

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I'm sorry to say, but in my view that is a stupid response. "Form" has never really played a part in Lyon's selection policy IMHO. Just look at players like Kosi and McQualter for example.

The Saints are in a transitional stage now. We need to get as many games into the youngsters as possible regardles of "form".

St Nick

Dr Spaceman wrote:

Stanley has been his own worst enemy, first by getting caught up in the NZ fiasco and then by failing to really impress at Sandy. He missed the last game with a hamstring injury just to make matters worse.

At this point in time he'd be behind both Johnson and Walsh as a tall forward option. He may even be behind Archer, and if he doesn't start putting it all together, may even slip behind Cahill.

Stanley has a rare combination of height and speed, but these are things he was born with. Now is the time to work on application.
Thanks Dr Spaceman, I didn't know he was injured.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Stanley sickened me early this year!

What a huge chance he had. And what a huge chance to make amends for his pre-season stuff up.

But what did he do? Nothin'!

His body language and his effort was woeful. Didn't really look like he wanted to be there from where I sat.

Very disappointed.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

St Nick wrote:
I'm sorry to say, but in my view that is a stupid response. "Form" has never really played a part in Lyon's selection policy IMHO. Just look at players like Kosi and McQualter for example.

The Saints are in a transitional stage now. We need to get as many games into the youngsters as possible regardles of "form".
Wow, nice to have you on board, calling other posters stupid in your first thread - look forward to more from you…
Your question "why hasn't Stanley been playing at CHF in the seniors?"
My answer isn't stupid - His form hasn't been good enough to be considered, if it was he would have played as we have been desperate for a back-up ruckmen and a forward.
Does that still sound stupid in your very humble opinion?

St Nick

dragit wrote:
St Nick wrote:

Wow, nice to have you on board, calling other posters stupid in your first thread - look forward to more from you…
Your question "why hasn't Stanley been playing at CHF in the seniors?"
My answer isn't stupid - His form hasn't been good enough to be considered, if it was he would have played as we have been desperate for a back-up ruckmen and a forward.
Does that still sound stupid in your very humble opinion?
You might want to read my thread again and tell me where I called you stupid???? From where I'm sitting, I didn't call you stupid. Correct me if I'm wrong.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

St Nick wrote:in my view that is a stupid response.
that bit
i'll say it again for you:
if stanley had even moderate form at VFL level he would have been considered, is that a stupid response?

St Nick

dragit wrote:
that bit
if stanley had even moderate form at VFL level he would have been considered, is that a stupid response?
Thats is a good response!! I don't agree with it though. I reckon he should be in the side for the rest of the year now. It doesn't matter if his form doesn't warrant selection. Sometimes you just have to back in the youngsters so they can get the confidence that they need. I'm sure he would perfom at least to the level that Kosi does.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

St Nick wrote:
dragit wrote:
that bit
Thats is a good response!! I don't agree with it though. I reckon he should be in the side for the rest of the year now. It doesn't matter if his form doesn't warrant selection. Sometimes you just have to back in the youngsters so they can get the confidence that they need. I'm sure he would perfom at least to the level that Kosi does.
What don't you agree with? I'm not saying he should be in or out of the side, I'm answering your question "Why doesn't Lyon give Stanley a chance at CHF?"
Answer : His form hasn't warranted it.
Maybe you should go back to lurking instead…

St Nick

dragit wrote:
St Nick wrote:
dragit wrote:
that bit
What don't you agree with? I'm not saying he should be in or out of the side, I'm answering your question "Why doesn't Lyon give Stanley a chance at CHF?"
As I said earlier, form doesn't matter eg. Kosi, McQualter. If it did both of them would have been dropped 18 months ago. So using that theory, Stanley should be playing.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Stanley goes where the ball ain't...

I have more hope in Archer making the cut as a strong forward...

And that's coming from a low base...

Will Johnson has more value too... Although he doesn't really play that tall, power role...

Stanley won't make it at AFL level IMO...

Sobraz
SS Life Member

St Nick wrote:As I said earlier, form doesn't matter eg. Kosi, McQualter. If it did both of them would have been dropped 18 months ago. So using that theory, Stanley should be playing.
Going by that thoery, I should be selected too...

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Places in the team have to be earnt. It is not a case of working one's way through a waiting list of young players giving each a go.

If you want it badly enough, its there to be got.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

St Nick wrote:
dragit wrote:What don't you agree with? I'm not saying he should be in or out of the side, I'm answering your question "Why doesn't Lyon give Stanley a chance at CHF?"
As I said earlier, form doesn't matter eg. Kosi, McQualter. If it did both of them would have been dropped 18 months ago. So using that theory, Stanley should be playing.
Maybe you ought to just post your opinion instead of baiting others with a question so you can shoot down their response.

Just my 2c of friendly advice for a new poster. :wink:

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

I wonder if he has not been caught up in that NZ rubbish and he had a full on preseason with the team, he may have gone into round 1 in good shape and improved from there.

I love this club
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Stanley sickened me early this year!

What a huge chance he had. And what a huge chance to make amends for his pre-season stuff up.

But what did he do? Nothin'!

His body language and his effort was woeful. Didn't really look like he wanted to be there from where I sat.

Very disappointed.
I agree.

The first game he played this year he was quiet, but he laid 7 tackles from memory.

Then followed up the next week quiet again, but 0 tackles.

Keep hearing about his pace, but he needs to learn to use it, would be such a benefit to the forward line if we had someone like him keeping defenders on their toes.

My expectations may not be the same as anyone else, I don't think he has to set the world on fire via the scoreboard, just to work hard and apply pressure would be great.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote: The first game he played this year he was quiet, but he laid 7 tackles from memory.

Then followed up the next week quiet again, but 0 tackles.
2 & 0 by the looks…
but he did take 8 marks against essendon
http://finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?PlayerID=2024

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:My expectations may not be the same as anyone else, I don't think he has to set the world on fire via the scoreboard, just to work hard and apply pressure would be great.
We had plenty on the park last weekend with those two attributes :shock:

Add to that list (3) hit a target by foot.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
SainterK wrote:My expectations may not be the same as anyone else, I don't think he has to set the world on fire via the scoreboard, just to work hard and apply pressure would be great.
We had plenty on the park last weekend with those two attributes.
:shock:

I'm just talking about the stage of development he is at personally, I don't expect him to outbody an opponent as he is still slightly built, or play like a seasoned forward because it comes in time.

I do expect him to work hard though.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:
We had plenty on the park last weekend with those two attributes.
:shock:

I'm just talking about the stage of development he is at personally, I don't expect him to outbody an opponent as he is still slightly built, or play like a seasoned forward because it comes in time.

I do expect him to work hard though.
Personally, I think Stanley plays scared at both VFL and AFL levels.

Needs a few spoonfuls of harden the f*** up.

And I don't just mean in the physical sense.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Kosi and Mc Qualter were both in the team because they played roles. If in Kosi's case that was pulling a tall defender out to the wing so Rooey could work in space that was his job and did it with out complaint. So too Mini, did his job on the 50 tackling and running with the defensive link to effect turn overs, did it with great effect in 09 and once the opposition worked it out they would shepherd him or play an extra mid back for the link.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Kosi and Mc Qualter were both in the team because they played roles. If in Kosi's case that was pulling a tall defender out to the wing so Rooey could work in space that was his job and did it with out complaint. So too Mini, did his job on the 50 tackling and running with the defensive link to effect turn overs, did it with great effect in 09 and once the opposition worked it out they would shepherd him or play an extra mid back for the link.
I have never seen Kosi on the wing when he has played forward. His job was to stay put and keep his defender on him.