Here goes Robbo & Mark Stevens again on Roey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mohannair
Club Player

Here goes Robbo & Mark Stevens again on Roey

I was expecting this from Hun, after seeing Roey strugulling on Sat. I knew this was coming.

Well it gives Roey that fire to prove them wrong in a fortnights time.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6078133673

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/n ... 6078108796

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Bulshiit.

A good performance in a fortnight proves nothing.

Roo has played only a handful of good games this year.

If he strings together 3 good games he may then be back on track.

Have faith in a champion, they normally always come good again.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Well you can't go from Rolls-Royce to roller skates and not expect it to go unnoticed.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

"As a great leader, he knows this group has run its race in terms of a chance to win a premiership, and that's wearing on him as well," Alves said. "He's got no one giving him a chop out. St Kilda kick to Riewoldt no matter if he's got 27 blokes on him."
I believe this is a major factor in Riewoldt raising the white flag.

This era is over, it is like 2006. It was evident we were in need of a cleanout in 2006.

And guess what happened? We cleaned out the rejects and were in a preliminary final again in 2 years.

Remember these names.

Ackland
Thompson
Pecket
Mcgough
Fiora
Powell

The next generation who have had their chances but are finished
Gram
Gilbert
Ray
Blake
Clarke

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

ralphsmith wrote:
"As a great leader, he knows this group has run its race in terms of a chance to win a premiership, and that's wearing on him as well," Alves said. "He's got no one giving him a chop out. St Kilda kick to Riewoldt no matter if he's got 27 blokes on him."
I believe this is a major factor in Riewoldt raising the white flag.

This era is over, it is like 2006. It was evident we were in need of a cleanout in 2006.

And guess what happened? We cleaned out the rejects and were in a preliminary final again in 2 years.

Remember these names.

Ackland
Thompson
Pecket
Mcgough
Fiora
Powell

The next generation who have had their chances but are finished
Gram
Gilbert
Ray
Blake
Clarke
The problem there Ralphy, is that the core was still pretty young. And pretty damn good!

That core, hasn't really been injected with any guns. It's the same blokes as in 2006 and they're older and in some cases mentally and/or physically wounded now.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

"At the end of the day, he's a power forward and that's the way we will utilise him for the majority."

You know, I've never thought Roo is a power forward.

I reckon, he's a forward flanker. He's just so incredibly good at it, and such a freak of a player and athlete, that he's been able to play the role of a 'key forward'. I think this is mistaken as him being a power forward.

I've very rarely seen him, one on one, stand toe to toe with his opponent and take a grab by utilising power.

He beats his man by outrunnung them. Out leaping them. And out sprinting them.

It's pretty rare he stands flat footed, and out wrestles his man.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Johnny Member wrote:The problem there Ralphy, is that the core was still pretty young. And pretty damn good!

That core, hasn't really been injected with any guns. It's the same blokes as in 2006 and they're older and in some cases mentally and/or physically wounded now.
Totally agree, which makes this situation profoundly depressing.

In 06 we still had young Dal Santo, Riewoldt, Kosi, Goddard (he's not old now..), Ball, Montagna, younger Milne!

Great young core to build on, and build on it we did for almost 2 grand final wins.

They were the great hope that emerged around 2003 but were always surrounded by crap peripheral players.

Thomspon, Peckett, Ackland, Mcgough etc in 2006.

Gram, Gilbert, Ray, Blake, Clarke etc now.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

"I had him on the wing at some point and then I did move him back,'' Lyon told On The Couch last night.

"If our midfield can't get on top and play like they did in that last 40 minutes, you need to move him in and free him and take everyone folding back on him and give him the freedom to express.

"It's a good idea and at some point we will do that.''

Interestingly, this was said at the start of May. Sort of contradicts yesterday's comments a bit.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I would tell Nick he has the captaincy until the end of the year - and then give it to Lenny for one year, before passing to God's more permanently. Unfortunately a change of leadership is required imo. Nick's had a fair crack, has been outstanding, but feel he would play better with a bit of pressure removed. Don't think the summer has helped him also.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

As great as he is Lenny is our oldest player and with 2 knee injuries I think people need to lower their expectations on what he will do when he returns.

Also - Roo is being seriously affected by personal off field issues. I wouldnt begrudge him if he took a few months off.

defacto
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:As great as he is Lenny is our oldest player and with 2 knee injuries I think people need to lower their expectations on what he will do when he returns.

Also - Roo is being seriously affected by personal off field issues. I wouldnt begrudge him if he took a few months off.
what off field issues?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Every article is wrong.

People actually try to blame his teammates, say that they kick it to him all the time.

They are actually not kicking it to him excessively at all.

The balance has been really good.

Basically what that indicates, is that he is clearly struggling, no dressing it up and blaming anything else.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I don't think there's any one reason for Nick's form but more so a mixture of many things.

• The hamstring injury.
• The Grand Final losses.
• The general decline in the team's performance.
• The lack of a genuine second marking target up forward.
• The distractions over summer.

With that in mind I don't think the team, or Nick himself, would be traveling any better at the moment if he was not Captain.

It may well be that we would benefit from a change next year but I'd much prefer it if it was Nick's idea rather than the Captaincy being stripped from him. I don't think any good can come from the latter.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Why does it have to be stripped from him Spacey?

Club can be unique in it's approach.

Roo just needs to say I'm going to concetrate on just my footy for a few weeks, so and so is going to relieve me of my duties for the time being and we'll look at the situation at a later date when I've freshened up my mind.

Don't have to put a date on it, or even make it permanent at this point.

See how he goes, he may find the freedom appealing.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Why does it have to be stripped from him Spacey?

Roo just needs to say I'm going to concetrate on just my footy for a few weeks, so and so is going to relieve me of my duties for the time being and we'll look at the situation at a later date when I've freshened up my mind.

If they want to change captains, clearly the best way to do it when it's a bloke like Roo, is to go with co-captains next year, then he pulls out the year after.

I think the captaincy is a bit overrated though.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

So you seem to be looking at a scenario for the rest of 2011 SainterK.

If Nick sits down with Ross and suggests someone else has a go for a while then great. Or if Ross sits down with Nick and convinces him it's a good idea then great.

However a few posters come out with the far stronger suggestion that the Captaincy should be taken from Nick and given to (insert name here)

I just think that if a change is required it needs to be done very respectfully. Very few players throughout the club's long history have served us as well as Nick.

And I honestly believe that if BJ, for example, had've been made Captain a few weeks back then Geelong would have beaten us by the exact same margin and Nick's contribution would have been no different to how it was on Saturday night.

IMO of course. 

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

It's a combination of issues, that's for sure.

However, the inability of our midfielders to kick the ball to him - due to an abhorrent skill deficiency - is now painfully clear.

Roo was 5-10m in the clear of his opponent on Saturday night and on three or four occasions, they couldn't hit him lace out, continually kicking too hard or inaccurately.

Roo is going poorly, but don't absolve our midfield and their refusal to execute basic skills (I use the word refusal because they make choices in the off-season not to work on these skills), like kicking the ball in a straight line over 30m.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

So you seem to be looking at a scenario for the rest of 2011 SainterK.

If Nick sits down with Ross and suggests someone else has a go for a while then great. Or if Ross sits down with Nick and convinces him it's a good idea then great.

However a few posters come out with the far stronger suggestion that the Captaincy should be taken from Nick and given to (insert name here)

I just think that if a change is required it needs to be done very respectfully. Very few players throughout the club's long history have served us as well as Nick.

And I honestly believe that if BJ, for example, had've been made Captain a few weeks back then Geelong would have beaten us by the exact same margin and Nick's contribution would have been no different to how it was on Saturday night.

IMO of course. 
Well I have made it quite clear that I personally thought something should of been done at the end of last season, the signs were already obvious.

I agree that it needs to be sensitively done now as we are already half way into the season. Have to relieve some of the pressure on him though, and soon, or he is going to seriously crack.

See here http://bit.ly/mE0r8E

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Who the hell is Roey?

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Carn't believe all the crap that everyone is writing , I myself am the type of individual that when out in public feel selfconscious when 2 or 3 people look at me the wrong way . How the F@#$ would I or any one really feel , knowing that every time someone looked at you , they've probably seen you naked , and that you been screwed over by a close personal and trusted business associate !!!!!
I know Melbourne's a football mad town and your only as good as your last game , but how about we cut the man some slack for the rest of the year !!!!!!

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:Carn't believe all the crap that everyone is writing , I myself am the type of individual that when out in public feel selfconscious when 2 or 3 people look at me the wrong way . How the F@#$ would I or any one really feel , knowing that every time someone looked at you , they've probably seen you naked , and that you been screwed over by a close personal and trusted business associate !!!!!
I know Melbourne's a football mad town and your only as good as your last game , but how about we cut the man some slack for the rest of the year !!!!!!
If his dramatic fall in form is as a result of personal issues then you couldn't blame him for losing interest or being distracted but if it is just because he believes the the effort isn't worth it becuase our window has shut then that's a differnts issue all together. His peformance next year will be the true measure.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I genuinely believe we should cut Rooey some slack for 2011.

Im all for tanking it up in 2011. Get games into kids. Refresh the players that need to be refreshed and get a decent draft pick or 2.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I genuinely believe we should cut Rooey some slack for 2011.

Im all for tanking it up in 2011. Get games into kids. Refresh the players that need to be refreshed and get a decent draft pick or 2.
Well you'd be on your own, or at least one of a limited few surely?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Maybe it's time to give Goddard a crack at the captaincy. Might reinvigorate Roo as a player ... certainly would take a lot of pressure off him and give the club a fresh outlook for the future.

I dunno. It's easy to overreact when we're close to rock bottom like now.

Wonder if anyone has spoken to Roo about how he feels about things.

saintjake
Club Player

Its not like they are saying what we dont already know. This year he HAS been terrible.