Why did the kids not play last night?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

VERDUN
Club Player

Why did the kids not play last night?

Reckon we should of played more of them. Besides Jones two other players played well last night McEvoy and Stevens. Both young who have been given a chance.

The young guys need to play in pressure games to develop skills under the pump which is what let us down last night (besides the disgraceful umpiring in the 3rd.

Gotta give it to Geelong they have stuck with their young guns who have played with their older divers to keep racking up the wins.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

It's a rock and hard place and possibly RL still had dillusions we were a chance of achieving someing inside the 8.

The rock is that the youth on the list lacks depth of talent, the place being the experienced players on the list that should be displaced by youth but also lacks talent.

Having said that there are some players that should be put back to Sandy and left there until trade time and just give the new kids a serious go this year.
Last edited by Cairnsman on Sun 19 Jun 2011 11:44am, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:It's a rock and hard place that and possibly RL still had dillusions we were a chance of achieving someing inside the 8.

The rock is that the youth on our list lacks depth of talent, the place being the experienced players on the list that should be displaced by youth also lacks talent.

there are some players that should be put back to Sandy and left there until trade time.
Care to name those players?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

riewoldt :sarcasm:

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Gram

Raph

Kosi

Possibly in that order.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Conclusion, we have a lack of talent on all levels. Senior and junior.

Those geelong type abilities to kick to long to players on a lead, over 40 m is completely lacking.

Someone like farren ray gets the ball on a fast break, forwardline open, his pass is more often than not going to be inaccurate and put our leading player like riewoldt under pressure.

A geelong player, such as james kelly, would kick it beautifully to his leading forward such as menzel for an easy mark and goal.

This inability of our players to kick the afl football is soul crushing to watch. We put in maximum effort, but cannnnnnnoot execute the fundamental act of kicking properly.

Armitage, in the 50m arc in the last quarter, goes for a 10m pass to a stkilda pllayer. But kicks it straight to chapman.

What the hell is that?

How can we win games with players who have this kind of lack of awareness, peripheral vision resulting in a kick that goes straight to an opposition player.

VERDUN
Club Player

do not totally agree - reckon there is talent with Siposs, Ledger, Walsh and Winmar who need a run

Our top 6 is solid but lacking in confidence it is a rock and hard place scenario though....we need some wins to instill confidence and get us up and running :) :)

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

VERDUN wrote:do not totally agree - reckon there is talent with Siposs, Ledger, Walsh and Winmar who need a run

Our top 6 is solid but lacking in confidence it is a rock and hard place scenario though....we need some wins to instill confidence and get us up and running :) :)
Sippos and Ledger have shown something. Time will tell.

Not sure Winmar has shown anything yet but how can he if he isn't in the seniors.

And who would know with Walsh.

saint tash
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:It's a rock and hard place that and possibly RL still had dillusions we were a chance of achieving someing inside the 8.

The rock is that the youth on our list lacks depth of talent, the place being the experienced players on the list that should be displaced by youth also lacks talent.

there are some players that should be put back to Sandy and left there until trade time.
Care to name those players?
Gram for one. No more upside to his game.

Raph is no sub. Needs to start to get match time and confidence.

Oh when the saints go charging in!
VERDUN
Club Player

Fair call Cairnsman - really like the look of Siposs so far and from what I have heard of Ledger he is what we need -good skills...time will tell.

Seeing the Geelong youngsters tearing it up was frustrating

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

These "play the kids" threads are getting extremely boring, as they are based on a complete fantasy in the minds of the posters of how "the kids" are going to play if selected.

Kosi played it hard and strong last night, and IMO kept us in the game for quite a while. He did things out there that players like Johnson and Lynch could only do in their dreams.

Gram's disposal was shocking, but he bobbed up everywhere and went ok IMO. Raph was ok as far as I noticed. Dempster was terrific: his best game at the club. Gilbert made some horrible errors, but also gave us some terrific drive out of the backline when we really needed it.

The two guys who butchered the ball again and again were CJ - who otherwise had a terrific game - and Armo, who was the #1 "kid" everyone on here wanted to play until this year. So it's quite a dilemma, isn't it?

If there rally needs to be a couple of human sacrifices after last night, IMO it could be Schneider - unfit, lazy and even diffident - and Ray, who had a shocker.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Gram

Raph

Kosi

Possibly in that order.
Well none of them are tradable.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

VERDUN wrote:Fair call Cairnsman - really like the look of Siposs so far and from what I have heard of Ledger he is what we need -good skills...time will tell.

Seeing the Geelong youngsters tearing it up was frustrating
Yep I think deep down that is what frustrated me the most about the team on the park last night, that and the performance of our captain. We really need to forget about finals for a while becasue the reality is we don't have a list that can get near it at the moment and probably for sometime by the way it looks. I have been really happy about how we have been introducing new players and trying new things but we got sucked in this week into thinking that all we had to do was beat the Cats and our season was somehow going to turn into gold. At the end of the day we are really short on options for decent players.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Gram

Raph

Kosi

Possibly in that order.
Well none of them are tradable.
Agree. Maybe as some sort of a package deal but I can't think of a suitor or how the package would look.

VERDUN
Club Player

ok beba

answer me the question - do you think Siposs should have played or any others and do you think Geelong are better off by playing their kids?

The thread is one that is there because I'm interested in our list and discussing it not just bagging everything for the sake of it.

Armitage, Stevens, McEvoy are now established because they have been given a run.

This weeks selection was different to previous ones and was definitely conservative therefore worth discussion i would have thought!

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

And which kids? Cripps - IMO easily the most impressive - is out for the year. Siposs and Ledger are small-bodied and vulnerable: yes, they are talented and should get more goes, but they need to be eased into AFL if they are going to have long careers. Johnson has struggled with injury. Heyne doesn't look up to it. Nor does Lynch for mine, although I feel i'm the only one on here who thinks so.

As for Walsh ("good as a first round pick" - M Drain 2009), he's a completely unknown quantity at AFL level. But I would give some credit to Lyon and co that they know what they are doing in managing his development: and with all the rest. After all, the way they have managed Steven and Big Mac seems to have worked.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
VERDUN
Club Player

Siposs deserves a run.

And the point is there needs a discussion on who is there. I like the response of Beba....maybe I should be more patient but it was hard to see Geelongs kids who I see are similar to ours getting a run all year

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

VERDUN wrote:ok beba

answer me the question - do you think Siposs should have played or any others and do you think Geelong are better off by playing their kids?

The thread is one that is there because I'm interested in our list and discussing it not just bagging everything for the sake of it.

Armitage, Stevens, McEvoy are now established because they have been given a run.

This weeks selection was different to previous ones and was definitely conservative therefore worth discussion i would have thought!
It has taken those guys 4 years. A couple of extra games isnt going to make much difference to the guys next year.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

VERDUN wrote:ok beba

See my second post.

In terms of Siposs: I wouldn't have selected him last night, might be inclined to give him a run next week ahead of Schneider, who needs q kick up the bum IMO. Maybe Ledger for Ray, with Raph starting and Ledger as Sub again. I don't know what to do with Gamble, who I agree is pretty poor: perhaps bring in Lynch for him, but then you start to have too many kids. I would probably want to bring back McQualter, but I would suspect I'd be Robinson Crusoe on that idea on SS.

- Jonathan Swift
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

VERDUN wrote:answer me the question - do you think Siposs should have played?
not particularly. the good thing about siposs is that he only needs two shots to kick two goals. the bad thing about him is that at this stage in his career he barely has two shots in a game, because he can't get more than about seven possessions.

he's too small and light to be a marking target, not quick enough to be a crumber. i love to watch him when he gets the ball, but physically he just isn't yet at the point where he can get enough of it.

VERDUN
Club Player

the Geelong players have not been there for 4 years - they have a lot of new young guys running around Hunt, Menzel etc

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

VERDUN wrote:the Geelong players have not been there for 4 years - they have a lot of new young guys running around Hunt, Menzel etc
Do you actually think they may be better or maybe because all Geelong's good players are doing well it makes them play better.

VERDUN
Club Player

plugger probably the later but at least they have the chance!

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

rock and hard place. The club has really got itself into a pickle it would appear.

2012 will tell us a little more about where we are at.

It's a bit like the GFC. A lot of people have been sucked into thinking that it is over but we have arguably got a few years to go before we reach the trough or upswing.

VERDUN
Club Player

Cairnsman good analogy