Simpkin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Simpkin

I'm really, really sorry to be a voice of negativity on this night that was a great win for us, but I just have to say, after having witnessed first hand tonight, that, unfortunately, Simpkin = Dud. That moment he had on the back flank, had time, had space, yet managed to get tackled and cost us a goal, was just really retarded, riddled with confusion and displayed a severe lack of nous. Unlike Stevens, unlike Armo, unlike Sippa (why wasnt he playing?), I dont think this guy has a future at the club. Anyone disagree?

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I don't agree that he looked like a dud at all. He did some things well and some badly. He's a young player with a lot to learn.

To me he didn't look like anything special: at this stage of his development he's a fringe medium-sized backline player like Raph and Dempster, but behind those two for mine: Dempster is a much better defender and Raph, although terribly error-prone, offers some attacking thrust.

I couldn't see any particular reason to bring him into the team in the first place; now I can't see any reason to keep him. I'd like to see Walsh get a go.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

:shock: :shock:

It's his 2nd friggin game!!!!

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote::shock: :shock:

It's his 2nd friggin game!!!!
Exactly.

Lynch against the Freo looked totally different to his one game last year.

Also, what about The Dribbler - how is he going??

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Gee 2 games and the guy is a dud. I had Goddard written off after about 3 seasons of no real output, got it wrong. You are obviously more finely tuned into you inner dudometer than I am. Simpkin is playing down back the most exposed place on the field with the general of our backline tagged out of the game. Some good some bad. Remember Blake looked similar until about 2008, every time he got the ball you would feel anxious because he looked stressed

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Every player under 22 without a brownlow at st kilda should be shot immediately and replaced with an under 18 player who has 3 years to get a brownlow or marked as a complete failure.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Maybe one of the silliest posts on here and that is saying something considering I nearly have 20k. Simpkin made on error and yes it cost us a goal but he played on Jones for 3 quarters for no goals. Gilbert on him for one quarter for 2 goals. Please watch all of the game and not one passage of play.

He has now played 5 and a bit quarters for one goal kicked on him. Hardly dud like stats. IMO certainly deserves to play until Blake is back.
Last edited by plugger66 on Sat 11 Jun 2011 10:09am, edited 1 time in total.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

He has potential, and that's not a bad thing to say about a second gamer. He has height, so that will give him flexibility on the backline. He is a little slow (a la Jason Blake) which could be of concern. He is tentative about overhead marking, but that is only to be expected. We will have to wait and see whether he can take a contested mark. Strength seems a problem, but that's the same with almost every other young player (Chris Judd excepted). If he works hard he might become a good player.

Once a team embarks on a youth policy, it's better to persist with them. The really good players learn from their errors in the big time not their successes in the magoos.

Legendary
Club Player

He looks a hundred times better than Sam Fisher did in Fisher's first 20 games. Fisher was a spud when he first came in. Looked lost.

Give him time. Thought he did well.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Extremely harsh post for a young kid whos played less than 100 mins of top level football.

For Chr*sts sake, give the kid half a chance.

I sincerely hope the players dont read this forum. :x

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:He looks a hundred times better than Sam Fisher did in Fisher's first 20 games. Fisher was a spud when he first came in. Looked lost.

Give him time. Thought he did well.
Crap, he has had 2 games to show if he is good enough. Even though only one goal has been kicked on him, he made an error. Just not good enough.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

2 games and he is a dud, strange comment

I love this club
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Poor post

bergsone
SS Life Member

If you are expecting a 2 game player to play with the poise of a 100 gamer your kidding,everyone will have to put up with errors from these youngsters.Saying someone is a dud so early in their career is stupid,sure have a opinion ,but completely write them off
FWIW I reckon he will make it to be a 100 gamer ,but thats my opinion

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:Maybe one of the silliest posts on here and that is saying something considering I nearly have 20k. Simpkin made on error and yes it cost us a goal but he played on Jones for 3 quarters for no goals. Gilbert on him for one quarter for 2 goals. Please watch all of the game and not one passage of play.

He has now played 5 and a bit quarters for one goal kicked on him. Hardly dud like stats. IMO certainly deserves to play until Blake is back.
Agreed.
That incident he had noone to kick it to as not one player was leading into space or anything. Maybe he should have bombed it long and turned it over on the wing but did what most other players probably would have done.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

looked very early blake like at tmes - and he turned out alright.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
rexy
SS Life Member

Thought he was ok, didnt see the point of subbing him off personally!

Maybe this year?
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

rexy wrote:Thought he was ok, didnt see the point of subbing him off personally!
Was struggling to run just before half time, still trying to get used to the speed of AFL im guessing.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It's good to see that we are playing some young blood. It gives us an opportunity to look at what they've got at the top level. For them, some experience that you can't buy.

Each young player needs at least 3 consecutive games to give them an opportunity to get a feel for the pace and flow of the game. Also, for the coaches to have a good look at them. There is no value in making quick judgements regarding career potential at this stage. :roll:

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Dumb post by someone trying to attract attention to themself.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Simpkin runs to the right spots to get the ball, and competes well. MAde a few errors that can be put down to nerves associated with playing in the big time.

I think he has a a future as a steady defender but will take about 30 - 40 games before he really starts to look like he belongs at the top level.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

His defensive work is ok but his decision making with the ball is shocking. He's been thrown to the wolves somewhat and has looked outclassed against AFL players. Far too early to call him a dud, but I'm struggling to see what he brings to the table that others with an attacking side also have.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:His defensive work is ok but his decision making with the ball is shocking. He's been thrown to the wolves somewhat and has looked outclassed against AFL players. Far too early to call him a dud, but I'm struggling to see what he brings to the table that others with an attacking side also have.
How did he look outclassed against Jones last night? Would love you to tell me that.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

You showed your class with the use of the word retarded.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

I guess I am being overly harsh, considering the amount of football he has played, but I'm simply giving you my honest opinion on the guy. He may well turn it around, I hope he does, but when I think of, say, Gilbert, or Steven, when these guys came in to the team they immediately showed bits and pieces of skill, class, dash, spark, whatever. True he should be allowed to play a run of maybe 3-5 straight games to really get an accurate idea of his abilities, but if he were to be marked right here and now I don't think he's quite there. Sorry to be a nark.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."