Aussie Jones & Matthew Knights comments

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Aussie Jones & Matthew Knights comments

Heard some interesting and constructive comments from those two last night on ABC radio after the match- Knights made a mention of when he went down to Seaford to watch training, as to how enthusiastic the coaching was with defensive work, with presses etc a couple of times, and not much from the coaches on the offensive game and poor disposals etc.. anyone else hear that?

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

There are two schools of thought on kicking skills. One seems to be, "do nothing to improve them and concentrate on tactics" and another seems to be, "put all of your energy into improving kicking skills and you won't need to worry about tactics." We saw both approaches last night.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Ross Lyon - On the couch -2011 "i dont coach skill errors"

Seeya
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I thought the skill levels shown last week at Subi were a huge improvement on our early games ( :roll: ) last night saw several crucial turnovers, but overall we are on the improve, and I can see hope with the development of a new model for next season, tactically and skillwise.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Matthew Knights suggesting that the saints spend too much time on the defensive side!! HA! Coming from a man who would not know a tackle if he saw a man naked!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Aussie Jones & Matthew Knights comments

spert wrote:Heard some interesting and constructive comments from those two last night on ABC radio after the match- Knights made a mention of when he went down to Seaford to watch training, as to how enthusiastic the coaching was with defensive work, with presses etc a couple of times, and not much from the coaches on the offensive game and poor disposals etc.. anyone else hear that?
Must be a genius to be able to glean that from one training session.

Pretty sue I saw the Pie's forwards pressing last night too...and that this a big part of what makes them a successful team.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I find his comments somewhat ironic, given defence was something Knights failed to grasp.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ok lets shoot Knights coaching problems but 1 area he did ok in...was attack.....and it worked often against us.

I actually reckon hed be an interesting "balance" to Lyon in the coaching box cause lord knows we struggle to move the ball fwd with any fluency and when we get it fwd there is no one there.

“Yeah….nah””
jays
Club Player

knight cant tell anyone anything worse coach ever

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

jays wrote:knight cant tell anyone anything worse coach ever
and his last three games against us were...

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Ok lets shoot Knights coaching problems but 1 area he did ok in...was attack.....and it worked often against us.

I actually reckon hed be an interesting "balance" to Lyon in the coaching box cause lord knows we struggle to move the ball fwd with any fluency and when we get it fwd there is no one there.
Agree with this. The club could do far worse than appoint someone like Knights as an assistant.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:Matthew Knights suggesting that the saints spend too much time on the defensive side!! HA! Coming from a man who would not know a tackle if he saw a man naked!
This is what sh*ts me about footy discussion pages. Someone raises an issue based on actual observation and then somone just immediately focuses on that person who made the comments credibility or right to make the comments.

"Joe Bloggs said the sky is blue"
Poster "Joe Bloggs, pfft. Everyone knows Joe Bloggs is colour blind"

Then the whole thing gets distracted by people arguing over the biology of colour blindness and the original observation goes un-discussed.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

SainterK wrote:I find his comments somewhat ironic, given defence was something Knights failed to grasp.
Found in Knights' coaching manual:

Defence: Something that goes round the outside of deground.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:This is what sh*ts me about footy discussion pages. Someone raises an issue based on actual observation and then somone just immediately focuses on that person who made the comments credibility or right to make the comments.
In this instance I reckon playing the man is fair game. So Knights didn't see the Saints practise offence. So what? If Knights didn't see it, it doesn't exist?

I also reckon Lyon makes our team look better than they are, and with Knights it was the other way around.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
spert
Saintsational Legend

I'm not for or against Knights, I think he went to a couple of training sessions, but just wondering who heard that segment, as I think he was alluding to the fact that defence is the top priority with RL on the training track and the rest seems less coached?? I suppose looking at our forward line the other night, that may have been one of the reasons for his comments as they were disecting what's wrong with the Saints game. I also think Aussie Jones is a great thinker of the game and may be a potential senior coach one day.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Solar wrote:Matthew Knights suggesting that the saints spend too much time on the defensive side!! HA! Coming from a man who would not know a tackle if he saw a man naked!
This is what sh*ts me about footy discussion pages. Someone raises an issue based on actual observation and then somone just immediately focuses on that person who made the comments credibility or right to make the comments.

"Joe Bloggs said the sky is blue"
Poster "Joe Bloggs, pfft. Everyone knows Joe Bloggs is colour blind"

Then the whole thing gets distracted by people arguing over the biology of colour blindness and the original observation goes un-discussed.
No, but people need a little big of redits in the bank before they can start being critical (from one "open session") about a senior coach. IS knights suggesting that all out attack is the way to go.......... to getting sacked...

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
NoMore
Club Player

On saturday nights form we must wonder whether we do practise offense or whether we have a future plan for it. Using Siposs as our full forward. Reiwoldt playing against 3 constantly if thats what we trained for surely something isn't right.

The ground at Subiaco seems to suit us plus the dockers are pretty soft. if we are honest with ourselves we have beaten no one

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Firstly, matty knights was a great player....no question.

Secondly, he was an ok coach, had a poor list, especially given injuries, and followed sheedy, a tough gig at an elitist club, who never really respected him....and continually compared him and treated him as an outsider...

He is nowhere near the coach ross is, but i would have really gone after him as a mid coach this year to add more flow to our footy......and anyone who gets through a senior coaching position process at a big club, knows their footy....he is no idiot

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Firstly, matty knights was a great player....no question.

Secondly, he was an ok coach, had a poor list, especially given injuries, and followed sheedy, a tough gig at an elitist club, who never really respected him....and continually compared him and treated him as an outsider...

He is nowhere near the coach ross is, but i would have really gone after him as a mid coach this year to add more flow to our footy......and anyone who gets through a senior coaching position process at a big club, knows their footy....he is no idiot
Thats the bit Id be after also.

We look stagnant going fwd sometimes.

Our kick ins and ball movements is shoddy often - how ofte did the Bombers under Knights make us look slow?

He is the opposite to Lyon but in an assistant capacity I reckon hed be handy.

“Yeah….nah””
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Knights had great ideas on attack and movement. Defensively, sure, he wasn't great but I agree there were circumstances conspiring against him.

I think he's got a lot to offer a club like ours in assisting this tactical defect.

Great shout, Marto.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

We are second for playing on this year.

It's not about our lack of ability to attack, or who we have in the forward structure.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:We are second for playing on this year.

It's not about our lack of ability to attack, or who we have in the forward structure.
Ball movement and fluency is more than "playing on into a nest of opposition players before frantically handballing backwards..."

I agree, clearances are THE big issue...but our fluency of movement has worried me for a long time.

“Yeah….nah””
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Firstly, matty knights was a great player....no question.

Top post. One eventually had to come.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Top Post + 1

Top Post + 1

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!