Dumb coaching moves...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Dumb coaching moves...

Im a fan of Lyon but I was bemused about some decisions out of the box tonight.

Why when Montagna is clearly on 1 leg do we remove a tallish defender in Simpkin (who I felt gained in confidence as the match wore on), replace him with Ledger? Why not Montagna for Ledger?

Why take so long to throw a Gilbert or anyone fwd when we had no other fwd option? - Why not even get him into the middle for a run cause frk knows we couldnt buy a clearance?

I didnt expect to win tonight but after 2 qtrs of effort I am bitterly dissapointed to go down by 10 goals.

Clearances are a massive problem and lets be real Pies continued to rack up fwd 50 entries while we scratched, struggled and sure enough weight of numbers wins out.

Pressure was there for a half and we just fell away - dissapointing. Our fwd 50 is shambolic.....its not Kosi we need...its a Daws. We need a monster, who can stand his ground and take a contested grab while allowing Roo to lead and Sippos to get a 3rd defender.

We are 10 goals off the pace.

Gonna be some pain for some time before we are a real challenger again.

“Yeah….nah””
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Rebuilding!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Rebuilding!
The new name for 10 goal pantsings after being in the game at half time?
Last edited by Teflon on Sat 04 Jun 2011 11:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Yep.

Still think we'll scrape in though.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
I agree - how can we lose by 10 goals after only being down by a goal at half time. 2nd half was dreadful, and we seemed to have absolutely no system going fwd.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

That's what happens when you play kids. They take a while before it clicks.

Yes, it's disappointing losing to those pr@cks but hardly unexpected. They are chock full of confidence and seldom have to play away from the comfort of their home, the MCG, and their adoring fans.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
Teflon wrote:
I agree - how can we lose by 10 goals after only being down by a goal at half time. 2nd half was dreadful, and we seemed to have absolutely no system going fwd.
We'll justify it as "we played kids" and I expected to lose because of that but WHY would you move Clint Jones off a Dasiy Thomas when hes killing him?

And where were senior guys like Schneider? even Goddard ent awol again?
Why again are we recruiting guys who clearly are let go at other clubs because they have inferior foot skills??? (hi Polo).

Reasonably big chop coming up and future recruiting MUST be around players who use the ball well FFS.

“Yeah….nah””
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Why wasn't Schneider thrown into the middle at any point?

And does Dal have to play four quarters in defence. They'd move him in at one point.

I thought the move to take Simpkin off was poor too, because he was showing something, but we needed some run and had to take the game on. It didn't work because the midfield and forward line fell away leaving a Simpkin-less backline even more vulnerable.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Moods wrote:
Teflon wrote:
We'll justify it as "we played kids" and I expected to lose because of that but WHY would you move Clint Jones off a Dasiy Thomas when hes killing him?

Why again are we recruiting guys who clearly are let go at other clubs because they have inferior foot skills??? (hi Polo).

Reasonably big chop coming up and future recruiting MUST be around players who use the ball well FFS.
Only part I'll agree with here is Ledger can move into a full time role, Polo can sub or be omitted this week.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:Why wasn't Schneider thrown into the middle at any point?

And does Dal have to play four quarters in defence. They'd move him in at one point.

I thought the move to take Simpkin off was poor too, because he was showing something, but we needed some run and had to take the game on. It didn't work because the midfield and forward line fell away leaving a Simpkin-less backline even more vulnerable.
I agree we needed Ledger in but why not just take off a clearly injured player in Joey? who was sitting up fwd grimacing anyway???

just weird and yep Simpkin was starting to spoil and get a feel for it I thought and then they subbed him out????

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I admittedly was watching on TV, but Simpkin was spent, huffing and puffing.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Moods wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Only part I'll agree with here is Ledger can move into a full time role, Polo can sub or be omitted this week.
so why take Jones off Thomas????

bizarre. we had this guy on toast...

“Yeah….nah””
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Moods wrote:
Teflon wrote:

maybe the coaches had their money on the filth for a ten goal pantsing.... :wink: 8-)

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we fell into the trap of having too many negating players again Tef.

Baker, Dempster and Jones.

We were being smashed in the middle, you can negate as many as you like, but you need to win some ball and try and hit the scoreboard.

Question, if Jones had continued on Daisy, how would that have lessened the loss?

We still wouldn't of kicked a score.

3 is too many run with players, it's an admission that we knew we couldn't win without treating Collingwood like a 'whack a mole' arcade game and hoping for the best.

More creative flair like last week.

I honestly thought Bakes was in, and Dempster would be a late out.

I was surprised we played all three, again.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Joey's injury hardly helped the cause.

It was a strange looking midfield.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I reckon we fell into the trap of having too many negating players again Tef.

We were being smashed in the middle, you can negate as many as you like, but you need to win some ball and try and hit the scoreboard.

Question, if Jones had continued on Daisy, how would that have lessened the loss?

3 is too many run with players, it's an admission that we knew we couldn't win without treating Collingwood like a 'whack a mole' arcade game and hoping for the best.

I dont think anyone agreed we had to many negative players in when we hit the front just before half time?

After Jones was moved off Thomas.....in 7 mins on Dempster he had 7 posessions and a goal??.......he's been their best by a mile lately...you just dont allow those sorta players into the game when you have your foot on their throat.

Odd move.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

That's my point though, you can only try to hold down the opposition for so long, then you have to still try and win it.

We shut them down, but failed to impact the scoreboard enough.

lendog heaven
Club Player

bad blue going in without a back up for Benny Mc - thhe sight of Gwilt in the ruck was laughable

Tramps like us.............
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

We won the ball ok...but used it poorly.

The Pies big forwards were in great form.

Our sole big forward in Roo was in poor form.

Then the Pies got on a roll...and we fell off ours.

All night the Pies were just that bit slicker...and when you are sky high with confidence the ball goes your way.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:That's my point though, you can only try to hold down the opposition for so long, then you have to still try and win it.

Baker and Dempster werent gonna save us in the clearances where we were killed. Neither would including Gram.

We actually missed Blake down back tonight...

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
SainterK wrote:That's my point though, you can only try to hold down the opposition for so long, then you have to still try and win it.

Baker and Dempster werent gonna save us in the clearances where we were killed. Neither would including Gram.

Last week we dared to win.

This week we aimed to negate.

It's an admission of defeat before we've even begun. :wink:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Last week we dared to win.

This week we aimed to negate.

It's an admission of defeat before we've even begun. :wink:
Last week we played a fragile side whove lost plenty at home and who are choc full of injuries.

This week we played the Premier team.

You're only as good as your opponent lets you be.....in the second half we had nothing else to offer which is dissapointing but I still reckon some odd coaching moves made life easier for the Pies.

We were alwats gonna lose......but by 10 goals after such a great first half is very ordinary.

“Yeah….nah””
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Unless we had no interest in winning, the thing that i was most disappointed with and thought was ridiculous was seeing Goddard, Dal Santo and Sam Fisher all line up in the back 50, at the start of the final term.
We're 5 goals down and it's surely time to go all-out attack, yet he starts probably our 3 best available ball winners (Monty excluded, as he was injured) in the back 50.
Ross's negativity and conservatism cost us yet again (unless we had no interest in winning).

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
kalsaint
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
SainterK wrote:I reckon we fell into the trap of having too many negating players again Tef.

I dont think anyone agreed we had to many negative players in when we hit the front just before half time?

After Jones was moved off Thomas.....in 7 mins on Dempster he had 7 posessions and a goal??.......he's been their best by a mile lately...you just dont allow those sorta players into the game when you have your foot on their throat.

Odd move.
Totally agree with you Teflon on the coaching side of things. Some very odd moves today from a winning formula. Having said that, once we started to lose so much of the contested footy we turned to flooded defence and didnt have the fitness to sustain the plan so forward options dried up quickly.

If we continue to give away clearances we will remain on teh wrong side of the ledger and not develop the structure we need to win games consistently by scoring.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
35...LEGEND
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Moods wrote:
Teflon wrote:

so why take Jones off Thomas????

bizarre. we had this guy on toast...

CJ was not the same after 12:45 to go in 2nd when Daisy sniped CJ with a nice Left hook flush to the Jaw.

think it really knocked CJ around.

Maybe that why he started on bench in 2nd half....slightly concussed maybe ??