Day Matches in 2012

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Day Matches in 2012

We have played our 2nd and last day game in Melbourne.

Our FIXture is wrong.

Our club should embrace families and have a better split of day and night games like most clubs including the ever popular Collingwood has.

It is very poor business to alienate a significant section of the total market and could bite the club on the bum if we aren't a top side soon again.

I like night games, but think it's plain wrong to have zilch day games for the last two thirds of the season!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Day Matches in 2012

saintspremiers wrote:We have played our 2nd and last day game in Melbourne.

Our FIXture is wrong.

Our club should embrace families and have a better split of day and night games like most clubs including the ever popular Collingwood has.

It is very poor business to alienate a significant section of the total market and could bite the club on the bum if we aren't a top side soon again.

I like night games, but think it's plain wrong to have zilch day games for the last two thirds of the season!
Now lets see. When we get only one Friday fixture next year who will be one of the first to complain that the AFL only look after the big clubs. Suits me not to play Saturday as I have another club to follow. Night games may not suit others. Most successful clubs play at night because that is where ratings matter. Want to play a lot of day games then expect the side to be down the bottom.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I didn't say lots I just want a reasonable mix.

Do the Pies Blues Bombers and Hawks play at night as much as us?

I doubt it.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

I would like to take the kids more to the footy.

But I don't based on the lack of day games.

We only had 2 games this year that were suitable to take young children to, that would not affect their sleep, or routine.

All my kids are members, but we don't go because of this.

And if times get tough finacially the kids memberships will have to go, I can't justify them for almost zero return.

If not for the Auskick clinic the other week, the club might have lost a couple of potential life long members.

IMO Collingwoods membership numbers are helped by the amount of MCG day games they play...

I have a family of 5.

If we play 2 day games, Only 1 Adult will go, as the other has to stay home with the kids.

And we would probably only sign up 1 member.

More day games. We all go

So we sign up 5 members.

It's pretty simple really.

Another free hit for the Filth.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Must say I would much prefer day games - Sat or Sunday - than night fixtures. I understand the better performed clubs get the evening matches, but I love day footy.......... 8-)

No Contract, No contact :shock:
Saints Angel
Club Player

I agree that we should have more day games. It does place a burden on the family when we have so many night games. Loved our Saturday afternoon game recently, it was like old times with so many families around. Worth airing our opinion as members to the club before this season finishes.

noreason41
Club Player

This is a list of day/night/twilight games based on current ladder position;
----------------------------------------------

Geelong play 10 day games, 8 night games and 3 twilight games with round 24 to be decided (v Collingwood).

Collingwood play 10 day games, 10 night games and 1 twilight game with round 24 to be decided (v geelong).

Hawthorn play 12 day games, 7 night games and 2 twilight games with round 24 to be decided (v gold coast).

Carlton play 8 day games, 11 night games, and 2 twilight games with round 24 to be decided (v St Kilda).

Sydney play 12 Day games, 8 night games and 1 twilight game, with round 24 to be decided (v Brisbane).

West Coast play 16 Day games, 5 night games and 0 twilight games with round 24 to be decided (v Adelaide).

Bombers play 10 day games, 9 night games and 2 twilight games with round 24 to be decided (bye).

Fremantle play 12 Day games, 5 night games and 5 twilight games with round 24 to be decided (v W Bulldogs)For West Coast and Fremantle i've considered games starting before 7 or after 4 as twilight).

Melbourne play 14 Day games, 5 night games and 2 twilight games with round 24 to be decided (v Port).

Richmond play 9 Day games, 9 night games and 2 twilight games with round 24 to be decided (v Kangaroos).

St Kilda play 5 day games, 14 night games and 2 twilight games with round 24 to be decided (v Carlton).

Footscray play 12 day games, 5 night games and 4 twilight games with round 24 to be decided (v Fremantle).

Adelaide play 11 day games, 8 night games and 2 twilight games with round 24 to be decided (v West Coast).

Kangaroos play 12 day games, 5 night games and 4 twilight games with round 24 to be decided (v Richmond).

Brisbane play 9 day games, 11 night games and 1 twilight game with round 24 to be decided (v Sydney).

Port Adelaide play 11 day games, 6 night games and 4 twilight games with round 24 to be decided (v Melbourne).

Gold Coast play 13 day games, 8 night games and 0 twilight games with round 24 to be decided (v Hawthorn).

LIST IN LADDER ORDER
-------------------------------------------------------

So in conclusion, we play 4 less day games then any other team in the competition, the most night games and average twilight games.
Thus the list in terms of day games goes:

West Coast (16) - 6th
Melbourne (14) - 9th
Gold Coast (14) - 17th
Hawthorn (12) -3rd
Sydney (12) - 5th
Fremantle (12) - 8th
Footscray (12) - 12th
Kangaroos (12) - 14th
Adelaide (11) - 13th
Port Adelaide (11) - 16th
Geelong (10) - 1st
Collingwood (10) - 2nd
Bombers (10) - 7th
Richmond (9) - 10th
Brisbane (9) - 15th
Carlton (8) - 4th
St Kilda (5) - 11th

Does it really mean anything?
IMO it looks pretty random to me with the only outlier being St Kilda (us), but we have the most night games (Highest TV audience), so i find it hard to complain about the fixture being a saints fan.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the stats.

Yep, it proves we may as well call ourselves Port Adelaide then, a TV franchise.

Of the 5 day games, only 2 are in Melbourne!

It's plain wrong IMO, but I'm sure either the AFL or our club will square the ledger next season due to our form slump if nothing else.