2010 weak links raph, mcqualtr dempstr peak dawsn eddy jones

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

oneteam
Club Player

2010 weak links raph, mcqualtr dempstr peak dawsn eddy jones

kosi gram mcqualter blake hayes eddy and gardiner, are the 7 guys out tomorrow from the 2010 GF first game side.

jones , dempster dawson peake ( and possibly raph according to rumour ) are still there playing tomorrow.

What does that say for the future? Is it good or bad? Have those 5 stepped up or are they still major weak links in a finals series?

Just not sure .

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Re: 2010 weak links raph, mcqualtr dempstr peak dawsn eddy j

oneteam wrote:kosi gram mcqualter blake hayes eddy and gardiner, are the 7 guys out tomorrow from the 2010 GF first game side.

jones , dempster dawson peake ( and possibly raph according to rumour ) are still there playing tomorrow.

What does that say for the future? Is it good or bad? Have those 5 stepped up or are they still major weak links in a finals series?

Just not sure .
From GF2 these are the changes to our side

OUT: Hayes, Mini, Eddy, Gram, Kosi, Blake (average age 27)

IN: Armitage, Steven, Siposs, Polo, Simpkin, Ledger (average age 21)

Think that says what our future looks like..

defacto
Club Player

the one thing i dont like about this place is the massive amount of new threads that cover the same thing.

go post in the game day thread FFS

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:
oneteam wrote:kosi gram mcqualter blake hayes eddy and gardiner, are the 7 guys out tomorrow from the 2010 GF first game side.

Just not sure .

And it's looking pretty good to me. 8-)

Let's face it, no team has 22 guns. Even the best side each year needs a sprinkling of blue collar types.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:

Just not sure .

SNAP!

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

defacto wrote:the one thing i dont like about this place is the massive amount of new threads that cover the same thing.

go post in the game day thread FFS
Yep, could have been posted in one of the existing threads - reckon there's a few attention seekers around here IMO :shock:

Don't believe Jones, Dawson, Peake and even Dempster are 'weak links' in 2011...

No Contract, No contact :shock:
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

joffaboy wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:

Just not sure .

SNAP!
and if it wasnt for Polo being 24 it would drop the ave to like 19 :wink:

spert
Saintsational Legend

The team that has winners across the field will come out on top. That means balance across all positions. We need contributors from the backline, midfield, forward line and ruck. The improvement needs to come from the forwards, mids and rucks -the backline is pretty solid. Our weakness in the 2010 GF replay was the forward line, rucks and midfield. The midfield is coming together with solid contributions from Armo and Steven and Montagna. The forward line is still a bit wobbly, and that's our weakness. Not enough output from CHF and FF

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Don't think I'd count Peake, Jones, Dempster as our weak links off the back of last week's game.

Wouldn't have counted Jones as a weak link in '10 either. Popular consensus was he was the league's no. 1 tagger. Remember O'Brien targeting him at the start of the R3 Collingwood match?

And Hayes and Gardiner excepted, I'm not too sorry to see the other mentioned players out of the team.

Dawson... what is up with this guy. Had a great '09, was hampered by health concerns last year. At best we can hope that he will become Blake-like... never brilliant, but increasingly dependable. Jury still out.

Gram is an interesting out, after his "hunger" radio comment and dropped after Hawthorn. If he can't rediscover his own, and soon, his papers are certainly stamped.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
matrix
Saintsational Legend

troll

same shite again
and again
and again

youd do well over on that facebook crap area

goddardisgod
Club Player

If Gram gets his game together, he will still be a valuable player for us.

Polo, Peake and Dempster have been in practically career best form, because their careers do depend on it.

Jones, although he had a slow start, has picked it up recently with good performances on Hill and Davey.

Clarke will be valuable depth for a couple more years. Especially if he's injury free.

Dawson still has ??? Over him. He look like the best rookie pick ever in 09, but hasn't reached that level again. Could it be the lack of competition since Goose and Max lest?

Eddy's career is pretty much over. Will be a successful VFL player, but I don't think he'll make it above that level. Probably a similar story with Mini.

I miss Hayes and Gardiner, and the team does too, but their learning to live without them. So will we.

Kosi, Kosi, Kosi, Kosi, Kosi. Could still be a good player, but it becomes less likely each year.

Blake's ability to take the second ruck everywhere will see him in the side after his injury.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

goddardisgod wrote:Dawson still has ??? Over him. He look like the best rookie pick ever in 09, but hasn't reached that level again. Could it be the lack of competition since Goose and Max lest?
I think you've nailed it. Tommy Walsh is pushing up for a spot somewhere, so he'd better pull the finger out.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Gee I reckon Dawson gets a bum rap too much on here.
Week in, week out he gets to defend the opposition's best tall player.

Yes he sometimes gives away foolish free kicks but all-in-all I reckon he acquits himself pretty well against an opponent that is most often the go-to guy for the opposition.

I'm often amazed that opposition players get lauded for maybe 'breaking even' on Roo (Brown in GF1) but every mistake (real or imagined) made by Dawson tends to be analysed under a microscope.
I'll never forget SOS being congratulated for his job on Plugger that day at Moorabbin when Plugger kicked plenty.

Often the poor bastard at Full Back can't stop what's happening up the field. Yet he's responsible for what happens becasue of it?

Is he still 'suffering' for being the bloke that replaced Max in the side?

Will he never live that down in the minds of many?

spert
Saintsational Legend

Up until the last couple of games, our backline had been under ridiculous pressure thanks to the poor work up field- I think Zac is fine and is still learning his trade...he did pretty well in the Collingwood avalanch in the GF replay, so get off his back.
There will be clean out at the end of the season, but lets wait until then. We have to get into the finals and go all the way this year.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

stkildathunda wrote:

But all that really says is that the guys that have come in are younger than the guys that have gone out? You have to base an opinion on more than IN/OUT.

But it's exciting that Armo and Steven are starting to put together 4-quarter performances. Siposs, Simpkin and Ledger are promising prospects.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:...Don't believe Jones, Dawson, Peake and even Dempster are 'weak links' in 2011...
They certainly haven't been in the last two weeks. It was always a mystery to me why Brett Peake was dropped in the first place. Anyway, he's back now. And perhaps if Michael Gardiner had played the second half of GF1 we might all be slightly more relaxed. But he didn't, and we are not.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:troll

same shite again
and again
and again

youd do well over on that facebook crap area
Agreed!

As soon as you said Jones you're ridiculous thread lost all credibility!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:

But all that really says is that the guys that have come in are younger than the guys that have gone out? You have to base an opinion on more than IN/OUT.

But it's exciting that Armo and Steven are starting to put together 4-quarter performances. Siposs, Simpkin and Ledger are promising prospects.
Alright then. Apart from Lenny we havent lost anything in our lists of outs, except Gram when he's up and going.

Armitage is doing Lennys job extremely well
Steven is 1000 times better then Mini/Eddy
Siposs is kicking goals unlike Kosi

Its just Simpkin & Ledger that are the unknowns but would rather them in oru side then Eddy/Mini/Kosi.

I think Collingwood and any other club would feel more worried playing tonights side rather then the GF2 side that got humiliated and shown for lack of speed...

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:

Alright then. Apart from Lenny we havent lost anything in our lists of outs, except Gram when he's up and going.

Its just Simpkin & Ledger that are the unknowns but would rather them in oru side then Eddy/Mini/Kosi.

I think Collingwood and any other club would feel more worried playing tonights side rather then the GF2 side that got humiliated and shown for lack of speed...
What about the GF1 side that was maybe a bounce or a minute away from winning the premiership?

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Mr Magic wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:

What about the GF1 side that was maybe a bounce or a minute away from winning the premiership?
Only difference was Gardiner and McEvoy from GF1 to GF2... So outs are pretty much same. Would of rathered blokes like Steven, Armo, Siposs in the side of Eddy, Mini & Kosi last year (if they were fit that is)

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

perfectionist wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:...Don't believe Jones, Dawson, Peake and even Dempster are 'weak links' in 2011...
They certainly haven't been in the last two weeks. It was always a mystery to me why Brett Peake was dropped in the first place. Anyway, he's back now. And perhaps if Michael Gardiner had played the second half of GF1 we might all be slightly more relaxed. But he didn't, and we are not.
Yep, those 4 have been quite good in the last 2 matches - beats me why Peake was dropped at all.
Gardiner and what might have been..........still they're missing him now as well (and Hayes off course)

No Contract, No contact :shock:
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Just not sure .
all good apart from the irreplaceable len-dog

someone on the game plan mentioned that the saints had beccome so used to len dog winning clearances over the years it affected their entire games and attitude to clearances. Noticeably only armo who never played much or relied on len dog is winning clearances. All the older players were just completely reliant on len dog. So now they will need to adjust and learn the whole clearance game for themselves.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

People that pot Zac dawson this year don't know about footy. Our backline has been under extreme pressure this season due to the drop off in pressure in the forward line and midfield. Early on in the season the ball was staying in our backline for huge periods, gwilt, Fisher and dawson played well despite the added pressure. I think Dawson has cemented his spot this year, he is a no fuss tall full back that holds up well against most of the best FF in the comp.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Very well said Mr Magic and gringo re Zac. Still undervalued by so many.

I'd like to see a list generated that shows how many times Zac's opponents were the F50 target and how many goals were actually scored from them.

But I'm not clever enough to do that...
Last edited by Iceman234 on Sat 04 Jun 2011 4:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

If Zac could learn to kick on his Right foot, he would be less predictable, more versatile and more valuable.

After that, practice not giving away stupid free kicks - far too many blatant ones in my opinion. :!: