Coaching Assistants

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Coaching Assistants

Interesting article in today's Age by Caroline Willson on Ratten's coaching. I was particularly interested to read their approach to Assistant Coaches this year , the following excerpts in particular :

''Ratts made the tough call at the end of last year on his assistants. He made changes and we agreed he should look at blokes with good experience which he's done. I (Kernahan), told him we'd worry about the cost.

David Teague, Matthew Lappin and Robert Harvey departed at the end of 2010 and Ratten secured the vastly more experienced Gavin Brown along with John Barker and Matthew Capuano. Luke Webster was recruited from Fremantle as a development coach and - most significantly - Richardson came on board in the new role of senior assistant, thus freeing Mark Riley to concentrate solely on the Blues' midfield.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... -too-young

It seems to me that more than ever before, top quality coaching assistants and structure have a huge impact on team performance. We lost a couple of good one's last year. Let's hope the new ones can turn things around> :roll:

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Richardson and Brown are TERRIFIC assistant coaches. To get one of them would be great. Carlton have both - and you can see it's made a difference.

Barker is a crap coach, I couldn't see Capuano doing well, and Webster is only a "development" coach so wouldn't say he has had too much impact.

The Saints are coming!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Watching a lot of the games this season, our midfield ond onball work is waaay too defensive (or is trying to be), too much effort in trying to block the opposition from getting the ball, and as a result we are not winning clearances. Dunno if that's midfield coach problem or head coach issue.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

I met CW today at Suns training. Said gidday and dribbled shute to her.

Also had a good chat about footy with a guy from Geelong up here with his family for the game.

Also chatted to a filth fan who seemed ok but did dribble at times

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

As I've said before, Leigh Tudor is almost as big a loss as Lenny. Abduct him from Sydney and bring him back!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
defacto
Club Player

we went on the cheap with assistant coaches. just couldnt afford to keep tudor and silvagni

hell silvagni didnt even want to coach anymore.

we'll be loading up on quality assistant coaches in another 1-2 years time me thinks.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:As I've said before, Leigh Tudor is almost as big a loss as Lenny. Abduct him from Sydney and bring him back!
+1

Get the helicopter from the great McCarthy

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Royston
Club Player

stevie wrote:I met CW today at Suns training. Said gidday and dribbled shute to her.

Also had a good chat about footy with a guy from Geelong up here with his family for the game.

What's Cory Worthington doing at the suns trainning???

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:I met CW today at Suns training. Said gidday and dribbled shute to her.

Speak English.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:As I've said before, Leigh Tudor is almost as big a loss as Lenny. Abduct him from Sydney and bring him back!
Prove that losing our assistants is the reason why we are not travelling as well because you can't.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Prove that losing our assistants is the reason why we are not travelling as well because you can't.
That's the point.

With all the other issues (KD, GF meltdown etc) we may have started just as poorly with 5 Tudors & 5 SOSs on board. Impossible to say.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

From a coaching point of view, all of our assistants are coaching the Saints for the first time

except for Harvey (once b4) and King (1 year as coach). Common sense suggests that they won't know our players as well as the departed and hence are behind the 8 ball.

that was always going to be the case

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

That doesn't read well for Harvey though does it?

They needed to get in capable and experienced coaches to Carlton, and he was moved on?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:That doesn't read well for Harvey though does it?

They needed to get in capable and experienced coaches to Carlton, and he was moved on?
Much as I love the great man, I don't think he's a line coach. Should be used more in a development role with the young players, as he did in his first year at Carlton.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

You might be close to the mark Bernard. :wink:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:we went on the cheap with assistant coaches. just couldnt afford to keep tudor and silvagni

hell silvagni didnt even want to coach anymore.

we'll be loading up on quality assistant coaches in another 1-2 years time me thinks.
no doubt 1 or 2 quality assistants for 2012 should be high on our priority list.
especially in the recently retired category - banger aside we dont have any young coaches fresh off the field.