Something Ross said yesterday...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Something Ross said yesterday...

He spoke yesterday about why kids haven't really had opportunity up until this point.

He said because the core group was delivering, and well.

However he also mentioned, and this is what grabbed me, something about not having an eye on the future, because he was so determined to deliver a premiership in the now.

I thought it was a good answer, if there has been an element of self preservation about how he has approached his coaching thus far, I've missed it.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Re: Something Ross said yesterday...

SainterK wrote:He spoke yesterday about why kids haven't really had opportunity up until this point.

However he also mentioned, and this is what grabbed me, something about not having an eye on the future, because he was so determined to deliver a premiership in the now.

I thought it was a good answer, if there has been an element of self preservation about how he has approached his coaching thus far, I've missed it.
What I like about Ross is that there is no bulls*** with him. Straight up and down honest.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Sorry he lost me after he started talking about how ausages are sausages no matter how you cook them, fry em, curry em put em, they are sausages. :wink:

But yea he really is impressive with his interviews these days, Really goes in there knowing exactly what he is going to say. Im just stoked he finally made mention of Tom Lynch!!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I would argue some of his selections didnt help himself in the here and now.
Yeah we were winning matches. But that was in spite of some of our bottom 6. Not because of them.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I would argue some of his selections didnt help himself in the here and now.
Yeah we were winning matches. But that was in spite of some of our bottom 6. Not because of them.
Two flags missed by a kick... you could argue that if Milne had laced his boots differently they'd be ours.

But it's pointless... forward we go.

Lyon is a keeper, no doubt about it.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:Sorry he lost me after he started talking about how sausages are sausages no matter how you cook them, fry em, curry em put em, they are sausages. :wink:

must have seen the photos over summer

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:Sorry he lost me after he started talking about how sausages are sausages no matter how you cook them, fry em, curry em put em, they are sausages. :wink:

lol

You mean the kimied sausages :wink:

asiu
Saintsational Legend

... sausages are sausages no matter how you cook them, fry em, curry em put em, they are sausages.

not when they are broken , their not !

if a sausage can't do its job , it aint a sausage.
(i can guarantee it ) :evil:
Last edited by asiu on Wed 18 May 2011 5:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

lol

You mean the kimied sausages :wink:
:lol: :lol: Glad he didnt mention cocktail frankfurts then :wink:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I would argue some of his selections didnt help himself in the here and now.
We're not winning now though?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:Sorry he lost me after he started talking about how sausages are sausages no matter how you cook them, fry em, curry em put em, they are sausages.  :wink:

lol

You mean the kimied sausages  :wink:
 :lol:  :lol: Glad he didnt mention cocktail frankfurts then :wink:
Or their common name of "little boys" :shock:

asiu
Saintsational Legend

dogs dicks

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Silly Sausage
Naughty Suasage
Clever Suasage

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:He spoke yesterday about why kids haven't really had opportunity up until this point.

I dont mean to have a go a RL but I would have thought the way he traded was about winning flags or at least being very successful now and bugger the future as he basically says, which to me is a bit of self preservation.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I dont mean to have a go a RL but I would have thought the way he traded was about winning flags or at least being very successful now and bugger the future as he basically says, which to me is a bit of self preservation.
You think so? Surely a coach's job is to deliver premierships. OK we missed the finals in 07 but we were learning a gameplan. Prior to that he played in 3 x finals series incl 2 Prelim's. Guess it was a fair call to try and "top up" for a flag. We win the flag, he's a Sainter til he dies true but he's still done what he was employed to

The fact that his tactics have twice seen us miss flags by a bees willy is fairly unique Id think. One could argue the top up worked cos we came so close twice..or argue it didnt cos we didnt actually snare one

Its another one of these discussions we wouldnt be having if we'd snared a flag IMO.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

You think so? Surely a coach's job is to deliver premierships. OK we missed the finals in 07 but we were learning a gameplan. Prior to that he played in 3 x finals series incl 2 Prelim's. Guess it was a fair call to try and "top up" for a flag. We win the flag, he's a Sainter til he dies true but he's still done what he was employed to

The fact that his tactics have twice seen us miss flags by a bees willy is fairly unique Id think. One could argue the top up worked cos we came so close twice..or argue it didnt cos we didnt actually snare one

Its another one of these discussions we wouldnt be having if we'd snared a flag IMO.
Of course it is but Sainter K said she had seen nothing that RL was interested in self preservation. All I was pointing out is if he was he did what any coach would do. I have no idea apart from what I said he did that he could have done to prove he was in preservation mode.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Mick went a bit self preservation at the end of 2009 by playing the kids, it paid dividends and brought him a flag, but not a long term senior coaching career at the Pies.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I reckon Mick went a bit self preservation at the end of 2009 by playing the kids, it paid dividends and brought him a flag, but not a long term senior coaching career at the Pies.
See to me that is the exact opposite of self preservation. Playing kids is a punt and sometimes it is the end of your coaching career. Recycling is the easy way out.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Except if you're Voss :wink:

Don't agree on this one P66, I believe Ross was focused on bringing a flag to St Kilda, not preserving his career.

If you think the perception out there is that he is safe because of the direction he has taken, you need to read that Herald Sun more often.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:I reckon Mick went a bit self preservation at the end of 2009 by playing the kids, it paid dividends and brought him a flag, but not a long term senior coaching career at the Pies.
See to me that is the exact opposite of self preservation. Playing kids is a punt and sometimes it is the end of your coaching career. Recycling is the easy way out.
Unless your Richmond in 2000-2001 ;-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Except if you're Voss :wink:

Don't agree on this one P66, I believe Ross was focused on bringing a flag to St Kilda, not preserving his career.

If you think the perception out there is that he is safe because of the direction he has taken, you need to read that Herald Sun more often.
I am just pointing out that the only thing a coach can do if in preservation mode is to play older players and trade for seasoned players. As I have said RL made a decision that was the best way to win a flag and he was one bounce off it. Playing young kids is the last thing a coach would do in preservation mode. By the self preservaton mode doesnt make you safe, it actually can make you very unsafe if not successful as per Voss.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:Except if you're Voss :wink:

I am just pointing out that the only thing a coach can do if in preservation mode is to play older players and trade for seasoned players. As I have said RL made a decision that was the best way to win a flag and he was one bounce off it. Playing young kids is the last thing a coach would do in preservation mode. By the self preservaton mode doesnt make you safe, it actually can make you very unsafe if not successful as per Voss.
Trying to post from my phone... Will do it from the desktop later!

Sometimes coaches '

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
So you start playing kids when you're a kick away from the flag and should have won it and all you need to do is tweak?

Club wants to renew RL on an extended contract. Guaranteed.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
So you start playing kids when you're a kick away from the flag and should have won it and all you need to do is tweak?

Didn't read your latest post P66.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Didn't read your latest post P66.
What do you mean?