luke ball

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

luke ball

hate to dwell on it but the nonsense by our club in that whole exchange cost us a flag

#1 Ryder fan
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: luke ball

MC Gusto wrote:hate to dwell on it but the nonsense by our club in that whole exchange cost us a flag
the one he played in or the one he didn't play in?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I thought he played quite well against Geelong, but had limited game time remember.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

my comment is more around a) breaking up the group...club cant be blamed for that he made the decision (although he wasn't Ross' favourite player) and b) then not getting anything for him.

Absolute stupidity

#1 Ryder fan
stinger
Saintsational Legend

we broke up the group alright....from that bumper crop we actually gave away for vitually nothing, ball, x and goose.....and with it our future....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

MC Gusto wrote:my comment is more around a) breaking up the group...club cant be blamed for that he made the decision (although he wasn't Ross' favourite player) and b) then not getting anything for him.

Absolute stupidity
Our list may have been better off or just as bad had we had taken Wellingham / pick 30 or just pick 25. Initially Bomber fans were laughing at that they got pick 16 for Lovett, though they may as well have gotten nothing by the way Williams has approached his footy.

I think Ball walking in general has cost us big, more than the fact that we got nothing for him.

Bad management is bad management
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote: I think Ball walking in general has cost us big, more than the fact that we got nothing for him.
The most telling thing was not that he went, it's that he went to Collingwood.

He's made a huge difference to them.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

He didn't want to play at St Kilda.

It's a pointless argument/hypothesis.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
patto
Club Player

For gods sake get over Luke Ball.. Hes long gone and not a Saint!!

Middo
Club Player

Re: luke ball

MC Gusto wrote:hate to dwell on it but the nonsense by our club in that whole exchange cost us a flag
Hate to dwell on it.... ? why bring it back up it was over last season.!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

SydneySainter wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:my comment is more around a) breaking up the group...club cant be blamed for that he made the decision (although he wasn't Ross' favourite player) and b) then not getting anything for him.

Absolute stupidity
Our list may have been better off or just as bad had we had taken Wellingham / pick 30 or just pick 25. Initially Bomber fans were laughing at that they got pick 16 for Lovett, though they may as well have gotten nothing by the way Williams has approached his footy.

I think Ball walking in general has cost us big, more than the fact that we got nothing for him.
From my memory Essendon fans were dirty that they had given up Lovett for only pick 16!

Ball did cost us but there is fault in both camps IMO. Ross devalued a favorite son. Luke took the easy option. Case closed. A very painful case mind you.

older saint
SS Life Member

Get over it, crickey Ian Stewart screwed us when he went to richmond and won a flag there , still sweating on that!

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Get over it? Sure, but all of you need to get over whinging about our window closing, if only we'd won a flag in the last 2 years, etc.

Would we have won the 2009 GF if Ball had been given more time in the second half?

Would we have won the first GF last year if Ball had been playing for us instead of our opponents?

Couldn't we do with him right now when we can't win a clearance to save our lives? Would the fact that he "can't kick over a jam tin" and "isn't mobile enough to defend space" matter diddly squat if we could have him back right now to play in the middle?

Could we have kept him if we'd been prepared to offer him just a few of the massive $$$ we wasted on Lovett? And if Lyon had been prepared to eat a bit of humble pie and admit he mad a mistake not using him in the second half of the GF?

Most of you, I think, know the true answers to these questions. Not doing enough to stop Ball from going, and putting so many eggs in the Lovett basket, It was one of the most disastrous and unnecessary decisions ever made by our club.

If you don't agree with me, try asking any neutral supporter what they think about it.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Middo
Club Player

meher baba wrote:Get over it? Sure, but all of you need to get over whinging about our window closing, if only we'd won a flag in the last 2 years, etc.

Would we have won the 2009 GF if Ball had been given more time in the second half?

Would we have won the first GF last year if Ball had been playing for us instead of our opponents?

Couldn't we do with him right now when we can't win a clearance to save our lives? Would the fact that he "can't kick over a jam tin" and "isn't mobile enough to defend space" matter diddly squat if we could have him back right now to play in the middle?

Could we have kept him if we'd been prepared to offer him just a few of the massive $$$ we wasted on Lovett? And if Lyon ha and prepared to eat a bit of humble pie and admit he mad a mistake not using him in the second half of the GF?

Most of you, I think, know the true answers to these questions. Not doing enough to stop Ball from going, and putting so many eggs in the Lovett basket, It was one of the most disastrous and unnecessary decisions ever made by our club.

If you don't agree with me, try asking any neutral supporter what they think about it.
A lot of could have's there but if Lovett had kept his head screwed on , I reckon we would have had more of a chance and won in 2010 than if Luke Ball was playing with us. Asking neutral supporters about Luke Ball they laughed that he couldn't kick and reckon Lovett was the answer but thats all good in hindsight and we will never know except I would rather see some new talent in the middle than worrying about someone that left 18 months ago and didn't want to stay for the right reasons. Our future is now with some new blood and not Luke Ball. :roll: :roll:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:He didn't want to play at St Kilda.

It's a pointless argument/hypothesis.
precisely!

it is, more or less, self-flagellation to be dwelling over this topic.

anyway, his heart wasn't for the st.kilda football club. if he was a selfless player, he would have stayed. remember, players like harvey, leowe and burke remained when the chips were down. they were heart and soul players. in the end, luke ball was just in it for himself. good riddance!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

meher baba wrote:Get over it? Sure, but all of you need to get over whinging about our window closing, if only we'd won a flag in the last 2 years, etc.

Could we have kept him if we'd been prepared to offer him just a few of the massive $$$ we wasted on Lovett? And if Lyon had been prepared to eat a bit of humble pie and admit he mad a mistake not using him in the second half of the GF?

So if the majority of neutral supporters agree with you, you must be right?

I'm not saying I disagree with a lot of what ur saying, but before the whole ball fiasco started, most neutral supporters didn't even rate ball. 'Injury prone, busted groin, too slow, can't kick goals' over-rated' was what they told me. We're they right then?

Bad management is bad management
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

will be rembered unfondly by most Saint fans.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
I don't. Neither do you. Unless you are Luke Ball, Ross Lyon, Paul Connors or whoever runs the player shop at Collingwood.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Only problem with this thread, is overlooks that fact he wanted (wants) to wear the jumper without the red.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Only problem with this thread, is overlooks that fact he wanted (wants) to wear the jumper without the red.
only after the coach wouldn't play him and the club tried to trade him to the roos...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

What the Saints do not lack is slow players with poor footskills.

We also have some quick players with poor ball skills.

What we need are some quick mids with good ball skills..

..or at least some slow mids with good footskills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at Bakes...good defensively still...but slow and cannot dispose of the ball.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
SainterK wrote:Only problem with this thread, is overlooks that fact he wanted (wants) to wear the jumper without the red.
only after the coach wouldn't play him and the club tried to trade him to the roos...
Tired old argument.

Coach is well within his rights to drop someone.

I don't particularly care who they are.

Coach is well within his rights to ask players to improve.

Again, I don't particularly care who they are.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Thinline wrote:
meher baba wrote:
I don't. Neither do you. Unless you are Luke Ball, Ross Lyon, Paul Connors or whoever runs the player shop at Collingwood.
You're right, we don't know we can only speculate. Yet there's folks come on here quoting supposed trades that were offered and salary structures in this whole mess.
And their source? '...it was widely reported'

Stand your ground :shock:
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

As I've said over and over again, did anyone here really expect Ball to still be there in the draft at pick 30?
Most of us we're expecting him in a Melbourne or Richmond jumper.
But of course Eddie had nothing to do with him being left alone for such a long time.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

imo , no ball to collingwood , no grandfinal gameplan for them.

give the enemy our flag.

thats how i'm gunna remember it.

max and luke ... ere ya go.

yea , good move .

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.