Hard Facts time

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Hard Facts time

Lots of ranting going on but reality to me is:

1. I new we would be level or behind at half time. I am sure i was not alone. It shows a lack of belief which i think the players also have. the last 2 years at quarter time it would have been forget the score board it is 0-0 but they played not to lose inthe 2nd quarter

2. Skills are terrible. I thought I was watching richmond of the 90's and 00's kicking to richo the amount of balls which missed Roo by 3 feet.

3. Middle tier have not stepped up again. Gwilt, Gram , Ray, Kosi etc continue to be inconsistant and turnover prone.

4. Some of the younger guys show passion, Siposs, Cripps, McEvoy ( not as young but in ruck terms he is) Armitage and Steven ( needs to work harder without the ball though).

5. Teams have taken 2 steps back to go forward in recent times. Geelong, Collingwood, Adel, all had average years where they made some sacrifices and pushed on bigger and better this is what i think we need to do.

6. As a supporter who went to games for his whole childhood just hoping not to be smashed the last decade has been great. We havebeen spoiled and people need to stick fat and not look for scape goats (RL).

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

We need to draft some new players...how many......plenty if we're realistic...

We'll go to the draft this year from a lower position than we have been for years and still only end up with the same quality draft pick we have been getting due to GWS.....

bad time to bottom out...

how many more years of severely compromised drafts are there...

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

What priority picks do GWS and the Suns have for next year?

They may want to trade some of their current young guys for some genuine experience.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hard Facts time

older saint wrote:Lots of ranting going on but reality to me is:

1. I new we would be level or behind at half time. I am sure i was not alone. It shows a lack of belief which i think the players also have. the last 2 years at quarter time it would have been forget the score board it is 0-0 but they played not to lose inthe 2nd quarter

yeah..me too...in fact after kossi missed and the hawks got the next two...i said that this was going to be a repeat of the dees v roos game...where there was an 11 goal turnaround...she agreed...the saints didn't let us down.... :cry:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
felixleo
Club Player

Get off this web site Older Saint you are far too rational. Just because Blakey and Ralph were not playing this week does not mean you cannot just pick anyone else to pick on. (not that you ever picked on any of the above players)

Are you gonna be the one?
SaintWal
Club Player

Re: Hard Facts time

older saint wrote:Lots of ranting going on but reality to me is:

1. I new we would be level or behind at half time. I am sure i was not alone. It shows a lack of belief which i think the players also have. the last 2 years at quarter time it would have been forget the score board it is 0-0 but they played not to lose inthe 2nd quarter. *****It was the pressure on the hawks ball carrier that gave us the advantage at quarter time

2. Skills are terrible. I thought I was watching richmond of the 90's and 00's kicking to richo the amount of balls which missed Roo by 3 feet.

******The skills changed after quarter time. 1st quarter good and the the rest was crap

3. Middle tier have not stepped up again. Gwilt, Gram , Ray, Kosi etc continue to be inconsistant and turnover prone.

***** Gram should be dropped. Ray is servicable and that is all. Gwilt is in every week for me, our back line is under immense pressure and Gwilts hands are awesome IMO. Kosi is purely a victim of the game plan. A game plan built around a dominating forward. highlight the word dominating. To me Nick is injured, I know an excuse but, can't turn for crap and chasing speed is well down.

4. Some of the younger guys show passion, Siposs, Cripps, McEvoy ( not as young but in ruck terms he is) Armitage and Steven ( needs to work harder without the ball though).

** Don't agree, you have to have the top six playing well to cover the youngsters. If our top six fire and Cripps Sipposs and Steven play mediocre goals then suddenly everyone is taling about the upside of the Saints instead of the down side.

5. Teams have taken 2 steps back to go forward in recent times. Geelong, Collingwood, Adel, all had average years where they made some sacrifices and pushed on bigger and better this is what i think we need to do.

** Correct, but it is only a small step as in two years we are gone for a while

6. As a supporter who went to games for his whole childhood just hoping not to be smashed the last decade has been great. We havebeen spoiled and people need to stick fat and not look for scape goats (RL).
** Not spoilt, we are just getting some bang for our buck.

I add that Gram and Schneider need to be dropped. Both are happy to get an easy out side ball but both also turn it over when they get it.

In my mind Bj turned the corner in the last quarter today. He has had enough and will lead this team in a football sense from now on.

At least I am hoping that is the case