Ben McEvoy is not the answer

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

RodKeoghsLoveChild
Club Player

Ben McEvoy is not the answer

I am going to make a hard call and say we need to let this kid go. If he can't get us first use of the ball and I think from memory is last in the competition for ruckman in hitouts then whats the point keeping him?

Hale had 12 hitouts in what 1 and a bit quarters, yet McEvoy can only get 20 against Franklin and Roughead? He should have dominated these guys.

I know he is a kid, but he isn't going to be able to run any faster or jump any higher as he matures, so make the hard call and get a kid with speed and agility who can get the ball slammed down our throat at the centre bounces.

Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
battye
Saintsational Legend

He's a shocking ruckman but I think he's worth persevering with. Ideally he will draft a mature (25 year old or so, so he can play a role for a few years) ruckman to play alongside him as he develops. McEvoy has potential and he's very young.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
savatage
SS Life Member

I know I'll get mocked for saying this - but even though he wasn't great - I was surprised we let Pattison go last year, knowing what we knew about MG's long term injury, with Kosi's injury & form concerns & with Stanley far too light to take first ruck duties - I would've thought Pattison would've made good insurance for our dwindling ruck stocks for this season.

wraiyth
Club Player

Re: Ben McEvoy is not the answer

RodKeoghsLoveChild wrote:I am going to make a hard call and say we need to let this kid go. If he can't get us first use of the ball and I think from memory is last in the competition for ruckman in hitouts then whats the point keeping him?

Hale had 12 hitouts in what 1 and a bit quarters, yet McEvoy can only get 20 against Franklin and Roughead? He should have dominated these guys.

I know he is a kid, but he isn't going to be able to run any faster or jump any higher as he matures, so make the hard call and get a kid with speed and agility who can get the ball slammed down our throat at the centre bounces.
Kids like that are really hard to find. I reckon there are 4 in the comp, being Sandilands, Cox and Zac Smith. A good midfield will be able to read it off opposition ruckman, and ours cant.

sRaf
Club Player

Ruckmen take a long time to develop. To get rid of McEvoy now would be idiotic, especially with him now beginning to influence games.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

As much as i rate McEvoy I dont think he is a number 1 ruckman. If we had a dominate ruckman like a Dean Cox or Sandilands and he was our backup and playing at FF then we would be praising him for how good he is. The game has changed dramatically since he was recruited and has been forced into the number 1 role with Gardi going down injured...

Legendary
Club Player

You ever watch any of Dean Cox's first 30 games?

Worst footballer I've ever seen play the game.

RodKeoghsLoveChild
Club Player

sRaf wrote:Ruckmen take a long time to develop. To get rid of McEvoy now would be idiotic, especially with him now beginning to influence games.
I haven't seen him influence anything. I could handle it if the kid floated forward and was an option, or was a tall who floated across the backline to take marks, but he does neither.

What I am saying is if he isn't influential in the ruck and also offers little around the ground then what's the point persisting? He is far too slow and has no vertical leap.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

stupid, reactionary thread

RodKeoghsLoveChild
Club Player

skeptic wrote:stupid, reactionary thread
stupid? Obviously none of my points are valid.

:roll:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

How much of this is due to Ben and how much due to our "elite" Lennyless mid field?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

If McEvoy aint the answer can anyone tell what Kosi is the answer to. He ia actually a terrible ruckman with no upside. Ben is 21 and at least still has an upside. Plenty to go or not being the answer before Ben.

savatage
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:If McEvoy aint the answer can anyone tell what Kosi is the answer to. He ia actually a terrible ruckman with no upside. Ben is 21 and at least still has an upside. Plenty to go or not being the answer before Ben.
Kosi is good because he can...ummm....

Furphy
Club Player

Ben's great if you want a tall guy to mark in the pack and do some around the ground rucking, but I can't see him ever being a dominant No1 ruckman.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Hate to say it but I agree with the OP. Big macca should be embarrassed by his efforts today. I was embarrassed for him. Rucking against Roughead and was smashed.

He's got a good pair of hands, but that's about it at the moment. He's weak in the body, slow in mind as well as foot speed. Plenty of young ruckmen around who are showing stacks more than him.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

sRaf wrote:Ruckmen take a long time to develop. To get rid of McEvoy now would be idiotic, especially with him now beginning to influence games.
Except for Zac Smith and Tom Nicholls at GC.

Fuckers.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
goodie
Club Player

RodKeoghsLoveChild wrote:

Pretty much

kalsaint
Club Player

savatage wrote:
plugger66 wrote:If McEvoy aint the answer can anyone tell what Kosi is the answer to. He ia actually a terrible ruckman with no upside. Ben is 21 and at least still has an upside. Plenty to go or not being the answer before Ben.
Kosi is good because he can...ummm....
Kosi is good because he kicks a swag of goals evrey 6 or several matches, plays the 2nd ruck to perfection....

No Kosi is good trade fodder to a GWS side inn my opinion. Sorry but I have thought this for up to 4-5 years now and one reasonable game last weekend taking some pack marks doesnt change my opinion.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
Tom_Sainter
Club Player

Become frustrated with him to be honest. It is becoming laughable how easily we are getting smashed in the centre clearances all year.
As the season is now looking gone, give him a go all year and see how he progresses, but at the moment he's really struggling

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Give him the rest of the year and see what improvement there is, then make the call on whether to keep him or not.

I would have thought that with all of the replay footage that Clubs have today, Kingy should be able to show him what needs to be done. :P

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:Give him the rest of the year and see what improvement there is, then make the call on whether to keep him or not.

I would have thought that with all of the replay footage that Clubs have today, Kingy should be able to show him what needs to be done. :P
I am unsure a coach can make players jump higher. Anyway I may be on my own here by the looks of it but I reckon Ben has had a very good year. I would be blaming the ball winners more than the ruckman. Plenty of sides have won first possesion after losing tap outs. We did constantly in 2004-06

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Akin to Melbourne trading Jolly away all those years ago...

Persist with him, he will be fine and is the least of our problems atm...

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I bet u wanted to sack Goddard too

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Ruckmen take years to dominate ruckwork. So much base on technique.

Potential wil Ben is that he can mark, kick and handball. Which will be the bonus.

Not sure what our other options are at this stage. Our number 2 is already rucking, do we go to no. 3... Stanley. Don't think so.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:

I bet u wanted to sack Goddard too
Please don't get me started on HRH, the Princess of Seaford!!!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.