Good effort, but.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Good effort, but.....

When do we start becoming happy with honerable losses....When does our focus shift to watching young blokes and seeing good signs and being encouraged by 5 posession games..........because as soon as it does, we realise we are a bottom club again....

We were better, no doubt....were we good???

The question is.....how can a list go from top 4 to bottom 4 in 6 months...

And why did supporters not see thos coming pre season....it was so obvious....

The side had not evolved......we were trying to win a 2011 F1 grand prix with a 2009 motor.....

AlpineStars
Club Player

We had a crack for the first time this year at least.

Wake me up when September ends.
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I saw it coming over summer, dont worry bout that! Year was over before tonight, so Im relaxed about it. Just keep playing the young guys, its the only way.

Well, I think Im relaxed about it, still think while the effort was better tonight, the skills are still appalling and a total embarassment. But s*** hey, watchya gunna do?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

We have evolved BM.

This is a side that again had Ben, Armo, Steven, Siposs, Cripps included from the stock standard side of last year.

It also seems to be in a transition phase, and I'm sure I saw more of an intent to attack, though the execution still needs some polish.

Once again 50+ inside 50's.

I saw it coming in the sense that the preseason indicated we were shifting towards balancing between defence and attack, and that people will have to appreciate that it does take time to execute something different.

Unlike you though, I lean towards it starting to click, rather than falling away.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

The late start to pre-season and the fact that we were psychologically shattered by the events of 2009-10 will go some way to explaining where we are right now. Good signs tonight though. Despite all the gloom on here and the fact we're not playing well, we've lost games by 1 and 3 points and had a draw. I know that's like saying, "if you aunt was a man she'd be your uncle", but seriously, we're not that bad. A revival is just around the corner. It may be too late for this year, considering we've lost 4, but this group still has plenty to offer.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I still see a sliding door moment in round one. Beat geelong and we keep going, believe in the new game plan etc. We kind of compounded the situation by the week, lethargy set in. I still believe our core is solid and wont take a full rebuild. We need another ruckman that is ready to go. Other than that we aren't that far off, Geelong fell away got Selwood and came back better.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Take the r1 loss....geelong snuck over the line in an arm wrestle...

Second quarter against richmond is where the doubt set in.......game of inches....

So if we are now in transition.....why is tommy lynch in the twos??

He has been in the best at sandy every game.....he is a third year player....

Is he the new armitage.....

Is blake to lynch, what hayes was to armo??

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Take the r1 loss....geelong snuck over the line in an arm wrestle...

Second quarter against richmond is where the doubt set in.......game of inches....

So if we are now in transition.....why is tommy lynch in the twos??

He has been in the best at sandy every game.....he is a third year player....

Is he the new armitage.....

Is blake to lynch, what hayes was to armo??
Now the ruck combo is sorted, and we have found a good solution, I'd expect to see Lynch for Blake.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

One of the great hindsight posters is getting even better at it. I reckon he will have a go soon that we will finish bottom in 1983.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Good effort, but.....

BigMart wrote:And why did supporters not see thos coming pre season....it was so obvious....

The side had not evolved......we were trying to win a 2011 F1 grand prix with a 2009 motor.....
I think supporters of any club that played in the GF the year before will have a fair bit optimism before the season.

Was it that obvious for you, was it? Were you making bold predictions on here about our plight? If so, link me, please.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

To be fair to BigMart he has been pointing out warning signs for a while. I don't like to hear anyone bagging the club or players, but mostly he's been spot on.

Think there were some reasonable signs tonight. Most people thought we were going to get smashed, and we were perhaps unlucky to lose (again!)

Some of our lesser lights are doing well, and our superstars aren't really firing. They're trying, but not really getting it right.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:We have evolved BM.

This is a side that again had Ben, Armo, Steven, Siposs, Cripps included from the stock standard side of last year.

It also seems to be in a transition phase, and I'm sure I saw more of an intent to attack, though the execution still needs some polish.

Once again 50+ inside 50's.

I saw it coming in the sense that the preseason indicated we were shifting towards balancing between defence and attack, and that people will have to appreciate that it does take time to execute something different.

Unlike you though, I lean towards it starting to click, rather than falling away.
Is that a fact?!!!

That's disgusting... I had no idea the ball came inside so much, I thought the reason we were slaughtered scoring shots wise was because we had limited opportunities....

Our forwards are the worst players on the ground. if they were taking their opportunities, the flaws the back line makes wouldn't be as crucial. Think about it, its the pressure of the situation. Riewoldt misses a gimme goal at one end, quick transfer to the other end, easy to just stuff up and fumble, only problem is when Roo does it, we miss the goal, when say, Gwilt or Gilbert does it, it costs US a goal...

Roo had've kicked the goal in the first place and we'd be a goal behind in stead of three.

Is Milne the only forward we can rely on because if so - no wonder we're in trouble!

nobhead
Club Player

Re: Good effort, but.....

BigMart wrote:When do we start becoming happy with honerable losses....When does our focus shift to watching young blokes and seeing good signs and being encouraged by 5 posession games..........because as soon as it does, we realise we are a bottom club again....

We were better, no doubt....were we good???

The question is.....how can a list go from top 4 to bottom 4 in 6 months...

And why did supporters not see thos coming pre season....it was so obvious....

imo until we can develop some of these young guys to replace plyers like
clarke
mqaulter
blake
baker
peake
dempster
there can be no improvement.stkilda'"s problem has always been its bottom 5 or 6 players .you need an even spread in your side .we have not got that at the moment . last night again crucial mistakes , skill errors at important stages during the match cost us dearly. we need to keep giving guys like
smith
cripps
siposs
winmar
lynch
simpkin
ledger
walsh opportunities to find whos up to it . and reload and go again next year .our stars are still young enough to have another tilt at it ,if we can just find a few more young guys to step up and fill those spots with some class.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Milne missed two sodas....is he reliable more than 25 out...

He also had a shot with 30sec to go vs Richmond