rohan and history write us off for 2011

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

rohan and history write us off for 2011

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a ... 1eear.html

"The lesson is that if you're not in the eight by now, you're going to struggle to get there at all. In eight of the past nine AFL seasons, the top eight come mid-May has changed by no more than one team.'

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stevie
Saintsational Legend

This argument isn't relevant now there's a bye involved.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

stevie wrote:This argument isn't relevant now there's a bye involved.
Only to change the timing from mid-May to end-May IMO.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:This argument isn't relevant now there's a bye involved.
Yes you are correct.

Add about a month though, make it the June rule, and we will still most likely be farked!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Fortunately we've been good at rising up throughout a season over the last decade...

May 2005 - 9th. Finished 3rd.
May 2006 - 10th. Finished 8th.
May 2007 - 13th. Finished 9th.
May 2008 - 10th. Finished 4th.
May 2010 - 5th. Finished 2nd.

Only in 2004 and 2009 have we finished lower than what we were in May. And even then it was only 1 and 2 positions lower.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:Fortunately we've been good at rising up throughout a season over the last decade...

Only in 2004 and 2009 have we finished lower than what we were in May. And even then it was only 1 and 2 positions lower.
We are 14th now.

Need to move up only 10 spots to be a realistic flag chance.

Easy!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:
Beno88 wrote:Fortunately we've been good at rising up throughout a season over the last decade...

We are 14th now.

Need to move up only 10 spots to be a realistic flag chance.

Easy!
Sneak into the 8 in top form & we will scare the shite out of every other side (including the pre-annoited 2011 premiers).

Top 4 is no doubt an advantage but with so many sides of around about the same quality at present, there won't be much that separates 3rd to 8th. Playing interstate of course makes things more challenging but we've beaten every side interstate over the past few years (excluding Port & it's safe to say they won't be getting a home final).

Keep getting games into the kids but all is not lost.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote: Playing interstate of course makes things more challenging but we've beaten every side interstate over the past few years (excluding Port & it's safe to say they won't be getting a home final).
Not to mention we beat them at AAMI in Round 5 2009

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Moods
Saintsational Legend

We actually finished 6th in 2006 with I think 14 or 15 wins - lost that final to the dees and the doggies (who finished 8th) beat the pies in their final, so the ladder after finals had us finishing 8th.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

dcstkfc wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote: Playing interstate of course makes things more challenging but we've beaten every side interstate over the past few years (excluding Port & it's safe to say they won't be getting a home final).
Not to mention we beat them at AAMI in Round 5 2009
Fair point

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Anything blow fifth is a rebuild opportunity wasted.

History doesn't lie.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:

We actually finished 6th in 2006 with I think 14 or 15 wins - lost that final to the dees and the doggies (who finished 8th) beat the pies in their final, so the ladder after finals had us finishing 8th.
Finals calculations i think had us finished at 8

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
spert
Saintsational Legend

I reckon RL has written this year off already and will spend the season trying new players and trying to re-jig his gameplan..sorry if it sounds a bit downbeat, but we needed to show some spark and winning ways weeks ago.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I reckon RL has written this year off already and will spend the season trying new players and trying to re-jig his gameplan..sorry if it sounds a bit downbeat, but we needed to show some spark and winning ways weeks ago.
Yep. Any thoughts RL would have of premiership glory for 2011 would surely follow a similar script to Miracle on Ice.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I reckon RL has written this year off already and will spend the season trying new players and trying to re-jig his gameplan..sorry if it sounds a bit downbeat, but we needed to show some spark and winning ways weeks ago.
I don't reckon he's written it off as such, but I do think he's taking the approach that he'll try a few things, try a few kids and whatever happens happens.

I still think he and the team will be trying to win each game from here on in.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Thinline wrote:Anything blow fifth is a rebuild opportunity wasted.

History doesn't lie.
It would be appalling to blow fifth.

Could be worse..... we could be talking Collingwood. :shock:

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:

History doesn't lie.

Erm... bElow fifth...oops... :oops: :lol:

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:

History doesn't lie.

Erm... bElow fifth...oops... :oops: :lol:
with the exception of 1997

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Sheahan wrote us off in 2008 during May as well.

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/mike ... ht_settles
Of those below Carlton, St Kilda, a premiership contender for so many of us 10 weeks ago, is playing more like a wooden-spoon chance.

The Saints have lost three of their past four, and didn’t deserve their three-point win over Richmond.

Coach Ross Lyon ripped into his players after yesterday’s lamentable performance in Brisbane, but, regardless of the message, how does a team that has won four of nine go on to win eight of the remaining 13?

With the Bulldogs, Sydney (in Sydney), the Kangaroos and Hawthorn to come in the next six rounds.

Who knows what’s wrong with this group, other than the output doesn’t match the hype attached to so many of them.

Nick Riewoldt looks like Tutankhamen and is playing with similar flexibility. Eight games, 17 goals; nowhere near enough impact for such a great athlete, such a vital player.

He should throw all the bandages and tape away and let his spirit free.

Robert Harvey remains the role model at this club, and he’s nearly as old as the coach.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm taking it one game at a time myself and lets see how we end up in September. (mind you, I've not booked any holidays for that month! :lol: )

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
bozza1980
Club Player

Moods wrote:

Further we actually finished level on points with 4th, finished 6th on percentage; before capitulating under the weight of injuries in the second half of our elim final against melbourne and were credited with an 8th place finish.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I actually believe that it is a bizarre season and is hard to measure against others. If ever there was a time for a team to win the flag from outside the top 4 it is this one. There are 2 current teams dominating, a couple of injuries to key players and the board opens up. There is genuine talent being pushed hard by up and coming teams, even losing teams are often not getting flogged. Teams like the Saints and Bulldogs could legitimately finish 8th and still push all involved all the way, same with Hawks and even Sydney. Teams like West Coast and Richmond who have floundered for a few years could legitimately finish in the top 8 and only make up numbers but if a few older teams with wily old heads scrape in they could upset a few. Say we met Geelong after finishing in 8th spot, who's to say with that kind of last chance for redemption we couldn't knock them off then who knows. You have to be there to have a go. Don't write us off, the second half of the season we could legitimately win a series of consecutive games and come home hard.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I actually believe that it is a bizarre season and is hard to measure against others. If ever there was a time for a team to win the flag from outside the top 4 it is this one. There are 2 current teams dominating, a couple of injuries to key players and the board opens up. There is genuine talent being pushed hard by up and coming teams, even losing teams are often not getting flogged. Teams like the Saints and Bulldogs could legitimately finish 8th and still push all involved all the way, same with Hawks and even Sydney. Teams like West Coast and Richmond who have floundered for a few years could legitimately finish in the top 8 and only make up numbers but if a few older teams with wily old heads scrape in they could upset a few. Say we met Geelong after finishing in 8th spot, who's to say with that kind of last chance for redemption we couldn't knock them off then who knows. You have to be there to have a go. Don't write us off, the second half of the season we could legitimately win a series of consecutive games and come home hard.
Do you really think Geelong will finish fifth?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Well take Geelong and replace it with Carlton or Sydney and then maybe it will be more factually accurate based on an assumptive prediction.

BakesFan
SS Life Member

If The Saints make the finals..... and I believe we're still a good chance.... we will probably arrive there fresher and with more blooded youth than any other team......

..I'd love to see us win it from 8th and turn the Footy World on its head!....

...the only bad thing...... you'll see Dimwit pushing for a 9 team Finals series as a result.