ross lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

supercoach
Club Player

ross lyon

if these season proves to be a failure, which it is nearing to, ross lyon must be given his marching orders - he is living in the past and seems hell bent on playing the old when the likes of crocker, cripps ledger, lynch, siposs, johnson, archer, stanley and welsh are pushing for selection. You can not tell me that dempster, baker, blake, jones, dawson, gram, peake and clarke, all part of the 'lyon cricle of favourites' could do any better than the young players, they are shot both mentally and physical with some gone at the end of 09 and most gone at the end of 10, yet lyon continues to play them because they have trusted bodies or what bs he continues to decribes them as.

He has been great to the club but he is living in the past, those players are not built for the modern game, time to move over and bring in the youth befroe its to late. Now is the perfect time to bring them in with superstars such as roo, goddard, lenny and they other top 10 players still there to provide direction and strong leader ship. Now is the time ross, bring the kids in, or prepare for another decade of failure

Gilbert=legend
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

How old are Archer, Cripps, Johnson, Steven, Smith? 4 first gamers this years, seems like Ross has realised the need to start bringing in youth and i would expect to see a few more over the course of the year. Honestly how does someone get the thought to post this. How many more kids would you like in the team?

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

It's ridiculous to say if this season's a failure ross should be sacked. He should not be judged on ladder position this year, but on how far he takes us forward into our next evolution as a top-four team.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

We have no option but to use this time to bury the reputation we have as a revolving door for coaches.

We need to have a genuine long termer, and show some stability and strength.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Good grief we've got some knuckleheads on this forum. OP I'm talking about you. GF's the past 2 seasons and you want to sack the coach after 6 rounds.

Did you divorce the wife the first time she knocked you back? ... :roll:

goddardisgod
Club Player

it's 10 years since GT was appointed.

In that time we've had 2 coaches, whom are 3 & 4 on the all time games list.

In that time we've had 6 finals series, 5 prelims and 3 grand finals.

We've been the most attacking team, and the most defensive team.

Beyond the mid-sixties, 2004-2010 was our most successful period.

Says a lot for backing in your coaches.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:Good grief we've got some knuckleheads on this forum. OP I'm talking about you. GF's the past 2 seasons and you want to sack the coach after 6 rounds.

Did you divorce the wife the first time she knocked you back? ... :roll:
interesting how many jump on with comments when things are going wrong....... numbers over last 2 days have been interesting..
maybe it's not St Kilda players who can't let go of the 'culture' but supporters who can't used to success - can't acknowledge it and then delight in the 'ra ra ' when there is a stumble.
Last edited by saintbrat on Mon 02 May 2011 9:49am, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
matrix
Saintsational Legend

so the coach needs to 'move over to bring in the youth???'

we need to get a new coach so we can play some kids???

well thats making perfect sense isnt it :shock:

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Gee, the OP forgot McQualter.

Never mind that a third of the players mentioned are actually in the VFL at the moment, and another third outplayed some of our "untouchables" on the weekend.

There's already a thread to discuss Lyon's role and prospects but clearly it contains too much measured debate for the OP.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

matrix wrote:so the coach needs to 'move over to bring in the youth???'

we need to get a new coach so we can play some kids???
Yep... the kids can invent a game plan on the fly... all our problems will be solved...

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Ross came into a team that had experienced Finals football under GT and contained half a dozen or so genuine stars. Who on here would have accepted a complete rebuild at that stage? Not many I guess.

Ross developed a game plan and a discipline that almost saw us win the flag in 2009. Does he rebuild for 2010? Should he change his game plan from one that won 22 games out of 25? I don't think so. He tries to top up the list and give it another crack.

And despite the Lovett experiment going horribly wrong, and losing our best player for most of the season we fall short by 1 point.

2009 & 2010 could have resulted in flags despite us not having the best list in the league. Although those campaigns failed to produce he ultimate prize they were a sensational achievement.

My question is this. If, as many suggest, the time has come for a rebuild and a change in game plan, why isn't Ross the right man to do just that? Circumstances have meant that he has not been required to do so in his relatively short period at the club. 

Some on here seem to think that if we keep Ross he'll never change but I reckon he's a pretty smart fella. If something is no longer working then he'll change things. 

I'd certainly back him as much as any new coach others may wish to see appointed.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:Some on here seem to think that if we keep Ross he'll never change but I reckon he's a pretty smart fella. If something is no longer working then he'll change things.
Stop it Dr. Spaceman, you're making too much sense. The OP will have to start a new thread.

Did you know that if you dismember a Crown of Thorns starfish, each arm grows into a new starfish?

St Lenny
Club Player

So the minute something goes wrong the answer is to sack everyone, give me a break :roll:

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

pretty straight forward argument here.

it's pretty safe to say finals are all but out of the equation.

we now need to see what direction Ross is heading in and whether or not we like it

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Re: ross lyon

supercoach wrote:if these season proves to be a failure, which it is nearing to, ross lyon must be given his marching orders - he is living in the past and seems hell bent on playing the old when the likes of crocker, cripps ledger, lynch, siposs, johnson, archer, stanley and welsh are pushing for selection.

Who's Welsh????

:roll: :roll:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I think people are missing one important fact.

Ross presented the team with two opportunities to WIN a grand final.

Not just come close, not trail all day in a brave effort....

There were windows in both grand finals where it was within grasp of the players.

Probably explains why they are hurting so bad now, but it certainly doesn't justify 'sack the coach' threads.

Ross Lyon has delivered opportunities to win grand finals, how on earth is that sackable?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote: Ross Lyon has delivered opportunities to win grand finals, how on earth is that sackable?
Just to play devil's advocate for a minute...

Coaches don't get sacked for poor performance usually. They get sacked because of what they're going to do - not because of what they've done.

Poor performance can be evidence that what they're going to do in future isn't going to be any good.

So what Rosco's done in isolation, doesn't really matter in my opinion. It's what he's going to do that is the only important thing in deciding his future at any point in time.

So when talking about his future at the club, the board would need to decide whether or not they think he's going to be successful in the future (whether that be next year, the year after, or the year after that).

For mine, there's no reason to suggest he can't rebuild and be successful in the future. There's no huge evidence to suggest he can either mind you, but certainly nothing yet that says or proves that he can't.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Well, if people base his inability to turn things around on 5 rounds of footy, I'd be shocked. :shock:

To put it into perspective, after the same amount of time coaching as Ross now at St Kilda, Collingwood gave Mick Malthouse a further 6-7 years to see what he 'was going to do'

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

"What are we doing" :!: :!: Over the years, the Saints have made many "knee jerk" coaching changes - none to any significant effectiveness (except perhaps, Alves & Thomas).

Lyon is an astute coach and seems to be a good communicator, judging from what I have seen and read. In these difficult times, the Club needs stability and it won't be from the players, who come and go.

The stability needs to come from the top - the coach and the senior players. As supporters, they need to be given our support and time to re-address things. In these times, we "would like" to know the thoughts of the coach and hopefully the Club will allow him to open up a little more. :roll:

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Fortunately Ross is contracted until the end of next year. I know that doesn't mean much in the cut throat world of AFL coaching, but this administration has demonstrated great stability and I believe they will back RL to turn this around. He has shown over the past two years that he is one of the most astute coaches going around and his experience is priceless. I'd hate to work for some of the people on this forum. One bad patch and you're out! Good grief!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Well, if people base his inability to turn things around on 5 rounds of footy, I'd be shocked. :shock:

To put it into perspective, after the same amount of time coaching as Ross now at St Kilda, Collingwood gave Mick Malthouse a further 6-7 years to see what he 'was going to do'
Yep, I agree.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: ross lyon

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:
supercoach wrote:if these season proves to be a failure, which it is nearing to, ross lyon must be given his marching orders - he is living in the past and seems hell bent on playing the old when the likes of crocker, cripps ledger, lynch, siposs, johnson, archer, stanley and welsh are pushing for selection.

Who's Welsh????

:roll: :roll:
Julia Gillard?

Safe to say the OP is some opposition supporter, just a troll.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
spert
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
SainterK wrote:Well, if people base his inability to turn things around on 5 rounds of footy, I'd be shocked. :shock:

Yep, I agree.
Malthouse already was a premiership coach, so had the runs on the board.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

too early to call it. lets see if he can re-invent himself and the team to suit the times and the current situation. if he sticks his head in the sand and is a one trick pony (2005 paul roos clone) then he should go.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

Yep, I agree.
Malthouse already was a premiership coach, so had the runs on the board.
I was agreeing with the first part of SainterK's post.

However, I do agree with the second bit too. You could use Mark Thompson as an example instead.