We have only a simple problem.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mohannair
Club Player

We have only a simple problem.

According to me we only have to fix the below 3 issues

a) Ruck:- Should have a good ruckman who can dominate the hit outs

b) Kick:- Most of our back line cannot kick the ball & they try to hand ball away or they are good only at one side. Zac cannot kick with both legs & that casues him trouble disposing the footy.

c) Should kick straight:- we always kick more behind then goals. Even yesterday I think we kicked 17 behind, even couple of them kicked straight could have swung our way.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Great! So we'll be sorted by next week then.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
lefty
Club Player

1. Need to win the Ruck Contest
2. Need to win the center clearances
3. Need to have better skills, in particular kicking for goal
4. Too many players running to the ball/contest, then opposition hand balling it out to the loose man.

St Lenny
Club Player

Ruck major problem agree. Kicking has been deplorable for many years, kicking for goal shocking.

But what has happened to our backline. What has happened to players running it out of the backline. Chips, Gilbert, BJ, Gram and Blake were all very good at that, what has gone wrong?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

only one problem as far as i can see:

1. we need to get a higher score than the opposition in most games

let's get that fixed.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Our biggest problem is that our best player is out for the season.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
markp
Saintsational Legend

Kicking for goal.

If we had forwards who could kick straight we'd have won the last 2 flags... and be 4-1 this season.

Gilbert aint the answer... Roo gets triple teamed, and is a worry whenever he does get it inside 50....

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Kicking for goal.

If we had forwards who could kick straight we'd have won the last 2 flags... and be 4-1 this season.

Gilbert aint the answer... Roo gets triple teamed, and is a worry whenever he does get it inside 50....
Why do we look better when he is in there though?

I can't work it out, he is a horrible kick for goal, but he gets moved up forward and suddenly we are back in the contest.

Does he make the defenders nervous?

Does he lead and present better as a forward than other options we've tried?

?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

I can't work it out, he is a horrible kick for goal, but he gets moved up forward and suddenly we are back in the contest.

?
My theory is that it's 3 things...

1) The opposition haven't prepared for the structure we have when Gilbert's in there.

2) He's mobile and creates space and movement.

3) It gives us an unpredictability that we don't get from the old 'two talls' structure.

The other thing is, he's a good player. Or at least, he's still considered to be a very good player generally so he gets a good defender.
And he's a tough matchup aswell - very good overhead and quick, and a good height.

So based on my theory, it doesn't have to be Gilbert at all. It can be anyone who creates space and movement through their running.
The real advantage we get from him being forward is that our opponents have guess when playing us for the first time in 2-3 years!

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

But if he can't kick goals, he only causes "activity." :roll:

markp
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
SainterK wrote:

?

1) The opposition haven't prepared for the structure we have when Gilbert's in there.

3) It gives us an unpredictability that we don't get from the old 'two talls' structure.

The other thing is, he's a good player. Or at least, he's still considered to be a very good player generally so he gets a good defender.
And he's a tough matchup aswell - very good overhead and quick, and a good height.

So based on my theory, it doesn't have to be Gilbert at all. It can be anyone who creates space and movement through their running.
The real advantage we get from him being forward is that our opponents have guess when playing us for the first time in 2-3 years!
Sounds about right to me.

My theory is you should have your best kicks kicking for goal.

Who are they?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

bj steven milne

and i wouldve said schneids but he has lost the plot at the moment lol

Ice Wolf
Club Player

markp wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
SainterK wrote:

?

Sounds about right to me.

My theory is you should have your best kicks kicking for goal.

Who are they?
Goddard, Schneider, Steven, Kosi, Gwilt and Dempster, problem is that only Schneider, Steven and Goddard are OK at set shots, Goddard, Gwilt and Dempster are great field kicks long raking kicks like Gram only accurate. Kosi is let down by not lining up, he kick exactly were he is aiming but always seems to be aiming in the wrong spot needs someone to line him up.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I liked our setup in the second half against Brisbane.

From watching on TV it looked like Steven, Schneider and Milne in the F50 and all being very busy with their movement, with Roo as the leadup.

markp
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:bj steven milne

and i wouldve said schneids but he has lost the plot at the moment lol
Think I'd chuck Kosi in there too.

The strategic gurus may say otherwise (and likely for good reason), but I'd like to see Roo in space on the wing receiving from Jimmy, Fisher, Gilbert or Dawson, handballing or short-passing it to a Dal or Armo running by, who look up to the option of BJ, Kosi, Milne, Schneider/Steven.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Maybe some of the seniors should have a look at Siposs- as that kid knows how to kick a goal from a set shot.

Ajantis
Club Player

Too many off-field issues have finally caught up with the players.
Also too many changes with the coaching staff.
Losing GF's are taking there toll.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

spert wrote:Maybe some of the seniors should have a look at Siposs- as that kid knows how to kick a goal from a set shot.
not a lot more satisifying than watching that kid yesterday kicking the ball! his follow through is like a springbok!

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches