Riewoldt to wing...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt to wing...

Seriously he looks like he needs it himself and god knows we actually look more dangerous with him outside fwd 50. Its time. Let him get a run at the ball.

Goddard has to go fwd and Gilbert stays down back.

Cripps, Steven, Smith got to be persisted with.

Walsh CAN NOT have worse disposal than Sam Gilbert. Needs to be promoted.

God we need a TAP RUCK absolutely changed Collingwood getting Jolley.....we desperately need one.

“Yeah….nah””
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Something has to be done, because he's been about as useful as an orange witches hat in the forwardline this year.

I can't believe we need to worry about Riewoldt now, he used to just will himself into games and stamp his authority on them.

Now he's floundering badly. Like a beached whale.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Re: Riewoldt to wing...

Teflon wrote:Seriously he looks like he needs it himself and god knows we actually look more dangerous with him outside fwd 50. Its time. Let him get a run at the ball.

Walsh CAN NOT have worse disposal than Sam Gilbert. Needs to be promoted.

God we need a TAP RUCK absolutely changed Collingwood getting Jolley.....we desperately need one.
Abso-f******-lutely.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

ralphsmith wrote:Something has to be done, because he's been about as useful as an orange witches hat in the forwardline this year.

I can't believe we need to worry about Riewoldt now, he used to just will himself into games and stamp his authority on them.

He actually looks mechanical, wooden, not smooth at all.....and confidence is gawn.

Let himroam,hunt the ball a bit.

“Yeah….nah””
stairwaytoheaven
Club Player

Totally agree steflon, nick needs to go to wing and the coaches set up our forward line differently. All players are down at the moment it could be a long season for us.
Iam prepared for us not to make finals as long as they keep playing the kids.,

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Riewoldt to wing...

Teflon wrote:Seriously he looks like he needs it himself and god knows we actually look more dangerous with him outside fwd 50. Its time. Let him get a run at the ball.

Walsh .... Needs to be promoted.

Worth a try for sure. We've got to find a way to kick winning scores. Only Milne looked like he had a clue tonight. Get Goddard forward.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Goddard tonight looked loke his confidence is shot as well. Anyway a spell between forward and on the ball might be what he needs.

wasaintsfan
Club Player

next week put them both in sandy... give them a wake up call theyre not untouchable.. heck give them 2 weeks in sandy

might give the rest of the team a massive boot up the bottom aswell

kalsaint
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
ralphsmith wrote:Something has to be done, because he's been about as useful as an orange witches hat in the forwardline this year.

He actually looks mechanical, wooden, not smooth at all.....and confidence is gawn.

Let himroam,hunt the ball a bit.
I agree in principle but not the wing! Can you imagine losing the midfield clearances continuously as now to have our best player sitting on the fringe of the midfiled and not at the contest? I couldnt see this benfitting us.

However, I have no problem having him at CHB at times to ensure hes in the contest and can still use his wonderful aerobic capacity to generate quality rebound thrusts.

Obviously we would need 2 -3 leading type forwards actually forward to benefit from this with Kosi in teh ruck interchanging with Big Ben right in the goals mouth.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Sadly, we looked less predictable and more dangerous without him forward.

Wing would be worth a shot.

He just has zero confidence in front of goal.

suss
Club Player

Roo got smashed because he was played on Rutton at FF and was expected to beat him one out. It was never going to happen. He's a lead up CHF that's meant to run his opponent off his feet. What we really need is a fully fit Kosi to allow Roo to play his natural role.

felixleo
Club Player

[quote="SainterK"]Sadly, we looked less predictable and more dangerous without him forward.

Yeah he is starting to look very frustrated, So why not give him a chance to tear it up somewhere else and get some confidence back. It's not like we are risking anything at this stage.

Are you gonna be the one?
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:Roo got smashed because he was played on Rutton at FF and was expected to beat him one out. It was never going to happen. He's a lead up CHF that's meant to run his opponent off his feet. What we really need is a fully fit Kosi to allow Roo to play his natural role.
I assumed that Johnson would start at FF, since that is where he's been effective at Sandringhamm but nup.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

me too carl

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
suss wrote:Roo got smashed because he was played on Rutton at FF and was expected to beat him one out. It was never going to happen. He's a lead up CHF that's meant to run his opponent off his feet. What we really need is a fully fit Kosi to allow Roo to play his natural role.
I assumed that Johnson would start at FF, since that is where he's been effective at Sandringhamm but nup.
That would have made far too much sense bigcarl, don't be silly, please.
It would also have made far too much sense to have put Roo on the wing last night, especially in the first half, when the ball was in Adelaide's forward line for around 75% of the half.
Or when it became apparent that he's woefully out of form and low on confidence. Why put him on the wing to get some cheap kicks and some confidence when we can leave him up forward to be almost completely ineffective, when it does actually go up there?

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Tried Roo on the wing a few NAB Cups back...terrible. Don't go there.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I would give him a Kouta run on the ball when out of form. It worked at Freo when Pav was playing crap. He is big enough to break tackles and agile enough to outrun.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I don't know exactly the right spot to play Nick, but we've got to get him out of the forward line for more of the game. If he stays there, he's going to keep on presenting, god bless 'im, our mids will keep on targeting him, he'll keep on getting double- or triple-teamed, and we'll keep on getting murdered on the rebound.

It was a problem 5-6 years ago when we still had big Fraser. Allowing it to happen was dumb coaching then and it's dumb coaching now.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

If it was 'one out' I'd back Roo anyday.

But Gwilt the 'decoy tall' somehow managed to ensure he and his man were at every contest that Roo was in! So it ended up being a pack of Roo, Rutten, the extra man they were dropping back, Gwilt and Gwilt's man!

And, the most outrageous thing was that we kept kicking it to them!!

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Roo on the wing for a game or so could well be what he needs to get back into the game.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Worthwhile to give Roo some time on the ball, to do his own thing. It will give him some confidence, the team some drive and stop him from getting cold, waitng for the ball to come down to the forward line :!:

busso mick
Club Player

gringo wrote:I would give him a Kouta run on the ball when out of form. It worked at Freo when Pav was playing crap. He is big enough to break tackles and agile enough to outrun.
You beat me to it Gringo :wink: Put him in the middle and he will still attract a quality opponent but it also will give him the chance to be involved in the battle and take away the pressure he is currently under as our sole target. It will also help with the flow of the ball through the middle of the ground. Key position forward is a tough gig, it's time for Ross to show some flexibility and look after our skipper. If he can regain some confidence then it will reflect on our overall output.

As far as who will be key forward then that is another matter. The emphasis on a key forward is not as important as a few years ago, Pavlich has been running through the midfield this year and Freo have looked dangerous in their forward 50 through many non "key-forward" options. Once Richo was moved from key forward he created a real problem matchup in the middle. Its certainly worth a thought with Riewoldt's current form.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

busso mick wrote:
gringo wrote:I would give him a Kouta run on the ball when out of form. It worked at Freo when Pav was playing crap. He is big enough to break tackles and agile enough to outrun.
You beat me to it Gringo :wink: Put him in the middle and he will still attract a quality opponent but it also will give him the chance to be involved in the battle and take away the pressure he is currently under as our sole target. It will also help with the flow of the ball through the middle of the ground. Key position forward is a tough gig, it's time for Ross to show some flexibility and look after our skipper. If he can regain some confidence then it will reflect on our overall output.

As far as who will be key forward then that is another matter. The emphasis on a key forward is not as important as a few years ago, Pavlich has been running through the midfield this year and Freo have looked dangerous in their forward 50 through many non "key-forward" options. Once Richo was moved from key forward he created a real problem matchup in the middle. Its certainly worth a thought with Riewoldt's current form.
Riewoldt doesnt have the agility of a Kouta who swooped on packs/ground balls and often took hold of the footy one handed...he's no midfielder and I wouldnt play him there.

Riewoldt on a wing gives him room to roam the length pf the ground, get a lead up marking attempt at the ball and also be the lead in kick to the forward 50 - a link from defense to fwd he's played well often before.

This is the only way we'll teach dumb mids that they need to pick another fwd option and at same time force us to be less predictable.

We looked far more dangerous without Riewoldt up fwd against Crows for mine.

In 2010 when we were forced to find other scoring avenues outside Roo due to his injury we should have resisted the temptation to get him fit and simply plonk him back inside fwd 50....the team had adpated to a Roo-less fwd 50 and we simply allowed them to revert to type. Everythings easy in hindsight so lets use what we now know and make the change now.

“Yeah….nah””
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Is it just me or does Roo look like he is not prepared to run anymore?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
stinger
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Is it just me or does Roo look like he is not prepared to run anymore?

looked to me like he was stuffed...and couldn't run....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.