A possible reason for our frustration re GF's

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

A possible reason for our frustration re GF's

Since 2001 Port, Collingwood, Sydney, WCE, St Kilda and Geelong have all played in losing Grand Finals

Notice who the odd one out is?

Yep..us..we're the only side not to win one as well :? :cry:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
noob
Club Player

could have had about 3 or 4 as well if we didn't have all the injuries in 2004/05

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

And Brisbane - they lost in 2004 after their Three-peat.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Don't see us remedying that any time soon either......

unfortunately

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:could have had about 3 or 4 as well if we didn't have all the injuries in 2004/05
And let's not forget those so-called fans who thought that indulging theit chilidh wish to run around in front of the telly cameras after Gehrig kicked his 100th in 2004 was more important than winning a premiership

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
noob wrote:could have had about 3 or 4 as well if we didn't have all the injuries in 2004/05
And let's not forget those so-called fans who thought that indulging theit chilidh wish to run around in front of the telly cameras after Gehrig kicked his 100th in 2004 was more important than winning a premiership
Let's play the blame game properly.

Why wasn't there better security at Feral Park that night to stop fans running onto the ground??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Collingwood is the interesting one. Like us, they lost 2 in a row but then decided to rebuild hence they finished near bottom got a priority pick and selected Thomas and pendelbury. We don't have that luxury, firstly GWS get all the good picks, secondly the draft rules have changed and 3rdly we can't afford to finish bottom as our members will drop off and we can't afford the revenue loss

spert
Saintsational Legend

Lost '71, '97, 09, 10...getting boring. The club has always tried for a quick fix and bought too many rejects from other clubs, but never put much effort into long-term planning. Development of younger players has been a real problem that needs a lot of work.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:Let's play the blame game properly.

Why wasn't there better security at Feral Park that night to stop fans running onto the ground??
Let's live in the real world for a minute or two. There's not enough security at any ground to stop that many supporters from jumping the fence all at once.

Richter
SS Life Member

spert wrote:Lost '71, '97, 09, 10...getting boring. The club has always tried for a quick fix and bought too many rejects from other clubs, but never put much effort into long-term planning. Development of younger players has been a real problem that needs a lot of work.
Which club are you talking about?

The core of the St Kilda GF team of '09, '10 is made up of the elite players Riewoldt, Hayes, Montagna, Dal Santo, Goddard and Fisher. All of them developed as young players with us.

In 2000-2 the club made a conscious decision to invest in this group of lads who all came together. Plenty of others fell by the wayside - Goose, X and Ball (latterly) - whilst other young players were added - from Gram, early on through to Peake (last year).

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
spert
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
spert wrote:Lost '71, '97, 09, 10...getting boring. The club has always tried for a quick fix and bought too many rejects from other clubs, but never put much effort into long-term planning. Development of younger players has been a real problem that needs a lot of work.
Which club are you talking about?

The core of the St Kilda GF team of '09, '10 is made up of the elite players Riewoldt, Hayes, Montagna, Dal Santo, Goddard and Fisher. All of them developed as young players with us.

In 2000-2 the club made a conscious decision to invest in this group of lads who all came together. Plenty of others fell by the wayside - Goose, X and Ball (latterly) - whilst other young players were added - from Gram, early on through to Peake (last year).
Hayes and Goddard and Gram stood up in Grand Finals, the rest haven't..basically I'm still waiting for the silverware

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote: Hayes and Goddard and Gram stood up in Grand Finals, the rest haven't..basically I'm still waiting for the silverware
Do you think it will happen soon or do you think we'll have to reload and try again some years down the track...

goodie
Club Player

We lost two grand finals, drew one, won zero, of course we're bloody frustrated.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Bullsh!t - you don't reckon getting Riewoldt, Kosi, Ball, BJ, Dal, Joey in the early 2000's was planning for the future? It got us to 5 prelim's and 2 GF's. Ppl sooked up when we didn't chase Cousins, and then when we lose they sook up b/c we don't develop younger players. If we'd been caned in back to back GF's like the cats were in 94-95 I could understand the reaction. Losing by less than a kick 2 years in a row is not b/c we didn't develop young players. The club had a responsibility to chase experienced players and roll the dice re those flags in 09-10. You don't get yourself in a position to win flags and start playing kids.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:

them's pple i will never forgive...or forget..... :evil: :evil: :evil:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
meher baba wrote:

you cant blame that for the loss.
if i was there that night i would of run to the middle of th oval before the ball even hit frasers boot. and most of us would of done the same at the time.
we lost because we didnt score as many goals and behinds as port, no other excuse.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:
stinger wrote:
meher baba wrote:

if i was there that night i would of run to the middle of th oval before the ball even hit frasers boot. and most of us would of done the same at the time.
we lost because we didnt score as many goals and behinds as port, no other excuse.
Typical selfish attitude.

We had all the momentum and were up by a bout four goals.

Immediately Port got two goals back in a row and were back in the game.

if they had of gone to qtr time four down they would have had the mental monkey of the 02 and 03 PF losses.

People like you are just selfish twats who thik it is more important to celebrate individual milestones than the team winning a PF and going into a GF against a wounded and done Lions team.

It cost us the game all right, and you reckon you would do it all again at the expense of your fellow Saints fans.

Selfish and immature, with a loser mentality.

no wonder we never win anything with supporters like you :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
saintdooley wrote:
stinger wrote:
meher baba wrote:

if they had of gone to qtr time four down they would have had the mental monkey of the 02 and 03 PF losses.

People like you are just selfish twats who thik it is more important to celebrate individual milestones than the team winning a PF and going into a GF against a wounded and done Lions team.

It cost us the game all right, and you reckon you would do it all again at the expense of your fellow Saints fans.

We don't win anything with supporters like you either Joffa so what influence does the humble supporter really have....knob or not..... :lol:

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Are we arguing over a game 7 years ago? Are you all for real?
What about Roo's pathetic effort at the start of GF 2 in 2010 - MUCH more defining.
What about Port and Wanganeen running all over us - Short Memories ..... We did not even get to the GF - should have won by 7 goals and we fell in a big heap - forget the supporters in Q1.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
saintdooley wrote:
stinger wrote:
meher baba wrote:

ohh so we dont win anything because of the supporters? i find that very hard to believe. im not selfish at all, i just find it hard to believe we lost because fraser kicked his 100th and people ran on the ground, that happens every time someone kicks 100. nothing to do with supporters, we choked in a big game as usual, just admit it.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
spert
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
Bullsh!t - you don't reckon getting Riewoldt, Kosi, Ball, BJ, Dal, Joey in the early 2000's was planning for the future? It got us to 5 prelim's and 2 GF's. Ppl sooked up when we didn't chase Cousins, and then when we lose they sook up b/c we don't develop younger players. If we'd been caned in back to back GF's like the cats were in 94-95 I could understand the reaction. Losing by less than a kick 2 years in a row is not b/c we didn't develop young players. The club had a responsibility to chase experienced players and roll the dice re those flags in 09-10. You don't get yourself in a position to win flags and start playing kids.
Close enough is not good enough- too many show ponies and no premiership cup with all that.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
saintdooley wrote:
stinger wrote:
meher baba wrote:

ohh so we dont win anything because of the supporters? i find that very hard to believe. im not selfish at all, i just find it hard to believe we lost because fraser kicked his 100th and people ran on the ground, that happens every time someone kicks 100. nothing to do with supporters, we choked in a big game as usual, just admit it.
That's right we don't. Not in this instance anyway. Joffaboy is 1000% spot on. I WAS at that game as opposed to you. Rather than celebrate Gehrig's 100th goal and getting my head on TV as so many younger self indulgent prats did, I sat there in disbelief that our very own supporters could be sooo stupid as to jeopardise playing off in a GF. Blind Freddy could see we had Port on the ropes, and the way that 1/4 was going, we could well have gone in at 1/4 time 7 goals up and game over. Instead we went in with the scores level. f***!ng idiots the lot of them :evil: :x :evil:

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If you want to be brutally honest

We made deep finals since 04 because

Hayes #11
Riewolst #1
Koschitzke #2
Ball 2
Clarke 5
Dal santo 13
Maguire 21
Montagna 37
Goddard 1
Clarke 8

From 1998 to 2003 we had a field day in the draft due to ladder position.....

Also allowed us to select powell and voss with the number 1 pick in there season draft

Plus we traded high picks for
Hamill #4
gehrig 18
Gram 23
Penny 19
Black 17
Guerra 39
Ray 31
Schnieder 26
dempester 26
Gardiner 43

And lets not forget
Lovett 16

Plus we had some ok oldies aleady in the side left over from 97
Harves, thommo, max, frankie, aussie

Yeah we assembled quite a list....should have been a golden era....instead we settled for silver and bronze...

Personnel wins flags......we gound a way to not quite get their

It must be said
Biting the bullet and playin the kids in 2002/2003 accelarated their development....by 21 most had 50 games under their belt

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The sooner people realise the obvious the better - we're jinxed - no doubt about it. I blame plugger66. The only surprising thing is that we won in 1966. Jinx gods must have been on holiday in Bali.

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

meher baba wrote:
Confession time: I was there, a few rows from the fence on the wing.
During the 'pitch invasion' after the 100th goal, I vaulted the fence too.
It was my first (and last) trip to that ground I'd seen on TV for years, hating all Crows and Port fans. I thought "When else will i get a chance to do this?".
But having jumped the fence, I was never going to run to the middle.
So I basically ran about 20 m up and down the boundary, then hastily jumped back to my seat. Please don't blame me for the loss.
I was nowhere near the 'celebration' in the middle. In fact i don't think anyone noticed me enter or leave the arena.

The worst part of the game was right near the end when Guerra was brought down near goal. To this day I maintain that the umpires would have given a free if he was playing for Port...result would have been a goal and maybe we win in extra time.

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.