Looking forward to free agency 2013/4

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Richter
SS Life Member

Looking forward to free agency 2013/4

The change in the rules regarding free agency after the 2012 season represent a chance to prolong this era of Saints success.
(Whilst not grabbing the big one, there is no doubt in my mind that this is the longest period of sustained success the club has ever had).
THE AFL has confirmed it will introduce various categories of free agency from 2012 for players who have served eight or more years at one club......

If the player is in the top 10 highest paid players at the club an opportunity exists for the clubs to match any offer from a rival club for the out of contract player. The player will then have the option of remaining with the current club, being traded or nominating for the draft.....

Out of contract players that have served 10 or more seasons at one club will be eligible to field offers from all rivals clubs without the club being able to match the presented offer.

That will enable the player to move automatically to the club of their choice.

The same ruling will apply to players that are out of contract, have served eight or more seasons at one club, and are not among the 10 highest-paid players at the club.
The implications of this for AFL clubs as I see it is....

(1) Likely to be few defections at the top end. The elite players are likely to be paid even more by their original clubs. They are also the ones around whom the ethos of a club is built, so less likely to move anyway.

(2) In order to retain $$ to pay the elite players, there will continue to be plenty of young players on team's lists.

(3) The real changes will come in the 4-8 year out player group who are not elite... they are likely to take more pressure on their pay packets, and will be discarded even more quickly if they don't perform.

FOR THE SAINTS

- Must keep the elite AA core together - strength of their camaraderie, aligned with $$ increases will be important. Keeping the dream of a Cup alive by active and smart recruiting post 2012 will clearly be important in selling this dream to the players also.

- Turnover of the 4-8 year players will be vital. The spotlight will shine even more on the likes of Peake, McQualter, Raph, Gamble - though by then they may be off the list altogether. However, by then it will be the likes of the 2005-8 drafts who will be under the gun even more than before.

- Theoretically given that the perceived wisdom is that we need to get more out of our "bottom 6", free agency will provide RL with even more opportunity to 'top up' to improve this area.

TEAM for 2013-14
(FA/youth=Free agent or current young player)

FA/youth Dawson Gwilt

Gilbert Fisher Gram

Dal McEvoy Hayes

Steven Riewoldt Schneider

FA/youth FA/youth FA/youth

Ruck: Montagna McEvoy Goddard

INT: Armitage, FA/youth, FA/youth, FA/youth

OUT: Baker, Blake, Clarke, Gamble, Gardiner, Milne

Experienced Depth/OUT: Dempster, Jones, Koschitzke, McQualter, Peake, Polo, Ray

Current Youth who may have taken up one of the spots: Archer, Cahill, Cripps, Geary, Heyne, Johnson, Ledger, Lynch, Stanley, Simpkin, Siposs, Smith, Winmar, current Rookies

New youth: from 2010/11 drafts

-------------------------------------

As you can see, I see there being as many as 7 spots up for grabs - which will be fought for by the up and coming youth. I can see us aiming to pick up some more recycled players, in particular in these areas....

- Ruckman
- Key forward
- Medium forward
- Small forward
- Back pocket
- Midfielders

Realistically if we were to be able to pick up anyone reasonable i.e. 10-20ish on the list, then we'd need to cut a number from the Experienced/OUT list above; though we may well have lost 1/2 of our 1st team players e.g. Armo, Gilbert

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

So, to sum up, you're looking forward to the club having the opportunity to recruit even more mediocre recycled players.

Are you Matthew Drain?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Winmar
Club Player

Does anything less than elite = mediocre?!

If we managed to snag players or the quality of, say, Schneider I'd be more than happy.

Richter
SS Life Member

Yes, MB, I am, because the opportunity is going to be there for the acquisition of better quality recycled players because of free agency - that is the key, not just recycling for the sake of it.

Recycled players were crucial in getting both GFists to the last Sat in Sept last year - we wouldn't have made it without Gardiner, Schneider, Ray, Gram - and Collingwood would not have got there without Jolley and Ball.

Attracting the better quality players means being in a position to have a real shot at a flag - which in our case means keeping the elite core intact.

The other option - the full rebuild route, will mean that we will be in the doldrums for 5 years or more. Free agency will advantage clubs who are already a chance and potentially doom for a generation those who aren't. And it gives us the best possible opportunity to keep our stars like Roo and BJ who are going to want to play for a competitive club.
Last edited by Richter on Mon 25 Apr 2011 10:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richter
SS Life Member

Winmar wrote:Does anything less than elite = mediocre?!

If we managed to snag players or the quality of, say, Schneider I'd be more than happy.
Anything less than mediocre=GOP.

The likes of Ray being a GOP. Gram and Schneider are arguably GOP+. Whilst Peake, Gamble are GOP-.

My argument is that there is likely to be more movement of GOP and potential GOP+ players post 2012. Given our list, it would be crazy of us not to try to put ourselves in the best position to take advantage of this situation.

Winmar
Club Player

Yeah I was thinking a few days ago that free agency could potentially be our saviour. I can't see how we're going to draft our way back to the top once the likes of Roo and Lenny retire.

I don't like the way players jump ship all the time in the NRL, but at least most clubs are in with a chance from year to year because they can easily attract players. There have been nine different premiers in the last decade too.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Except nobody will want to come to Seaford :cry:

:wink:

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Actually had that discussion today with a group of non Saints supporters..

they all reckon Seaford is way too far for AFL footballers to travel to,they even said it would affect their recovery after games....

Is this their own opinion or have they been sucked in by the media, thats what i was wondering when i reflected on it later.....

time will tell...i wonder if any of them are actually b4e

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Looking foward to free agency? :shock:

Yeah right. Its the slippery slope to NRL, NFL , EPL, mark my words. Once it starts...

So, Im not looking foward in any way to FA as it signals the start of the destruction of whats left of loyalty and "team" in this game. Shame, as its one thing that makes us unique in the sporting world. FA can get f***ed as far as Im concerned.

Richter
SS Life Member

I really don't see the Seaford thing as being an issue. If anything would simply add more to the sens of a 'Saints bubble' i.e. less chance of any of our boys nicking off anywhere else?

Players can still live Bayside, which is an attraction I would have thought.

Those we have to worry about leaving

Roo - unlikely. Club captain. On big bucks. I think he sees himself as a one club player

Lenny - highly unlikely

BJ - a possibility. Ambitious. If we turn to crap this year and he doesn't buy in to a future tilt at a flag, he may take a punt and go elsewhere. Will be able to move as a free agent in 2012.

Montagna - possible. May make new friends and admirers through his ch7 gig - which, incidentally he is very good at.

Fisher - unlikely

Dal - possible, but IMO unlikely unless say BJ were to elect to move on.

-------------------

Thing to remember also is..... free agents would NOT attract a compensation draft pick. :shock:

Richter
SS Life Member

iwantmeseats wrote:Looking foward to free agency? :shock:

Yeah right. Its the slippery slope to NRL, NFL , EPL, mark my words. Once it starts...

So, Im not looking foward in any way to FA as it signals the start of the destruction of whats left of loyalty and "team" in this game. Shame, as its one thing that makes us unique in the sporting world. FA can get f***ed as far as Im concerned.
Hmm, I can see how the title reads.... however, for me, it is simply a matter of fact statement. The fact is it is coming, whether people like it or not. I am agnostic.

The point is, St Kilda MUST prepare. As all clubs will have to.

I've mentioned a few of ours who could be in danger of going. Not really sure who we would look at targeting to be frank. i know the type pf players - i.e. forwards, but who exactly?

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Winmar wrote:Yeah I was thinking a few days ago that free agency could potentially be our saviour. I can't see how we're going to draft our way back to the top once the likes of Roo and Lenny retire.

I don't like the way players jump ship all the time in the NRL, but at least most clubs are in with a chance from year to year because they can easily attract players. There have been nine different premiers in the last decade too.
NRL has only had 8 premierships in the last decade thanks to some cooked books, so not sure how there could be 9 premiers!! :lol:

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
PJ
SS Life Member

I'd like to see us target Daniel Wells - he'll be up to 8 years by then and because of his injuries he's largely gone unnoticed. He seems to be putting more games together consistently now and could give us something moving into the forward line.

It's been written about a fair bit that he hasn't lived up to his high draft position (Roos) but I think at a different club he could use his speed and skills.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:Actually had that discussion today with a group of non Saints supporters..

they all reckon Seaford is way too far for AFL footballers to travel to,they even said it would affect their recovery after games....

Is this their own opinion or have they been sucked in by the media, thats what i was wondering when i reflected on it later.....

thats bs !! too far away .... how does it effect Geelong ??? too bad if they get drafted to Freo/WCE/Cros/Port cause they gotta travel accross the contry everyother week ... players will play for the club for two reasons .. one the money is right and two there is a chance for sucess .....

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintlee
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
bobmurray wrote:Actually had that discussion today with a group of non Saints supporters..

thats bs !! too far away .... how does it effect Geelong ??? too bad if they get drafted to Freo/WCE/Cros/Port cause they gotta travel accross the contry everyother week ... players will play for the club for two reasons .. one the money is right and two there is a chance for sucess .....
Agreed

saint58
Club Player

So would you say that Geelong is to far for some of there players to come for recovery.And not all players live in Geelong.

What about Waverley thats a long way out in the southern suburbs.Iam sure not all hawthorn players live next door to it as they play at the g some situation?

Richmond even train at Craigeburn some times i dont go that far on holidays!!!!!

So to say its a long way especially when a lot of our players live down that way.And iam sure they would have talked to all the players before going ahead with the project.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Except nobody will want to come to Seaford :cry:

:wink:
Don't you know how difficult it is to get from Auburn to Seaford via public transport? :wink: :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saintly
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

Agreed
agreed its, crap.

how about melbourne training at casey sometimes,

etc. poor diddums, footballers can't travel an extra half hour each way. poor them. how about the thousands of people who communute much further then that for work